Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:55 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times

Advertisements

There have been plans for a gas pipeline since the 70's. Someday (or some decade), it might get built...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,846,302 times
I would think they would have to do repairs on the old oil line, before building a new gas line...or maybe just work side by side.....

Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 PM

12 posts, read 19,649 times
"But if you look at the number of years Alaska law makers and the public have been talking about a gas or any other pipeline, you will realize that it may never materialize"

I know it could never happen, no different in the Transportation Industry, i.e. highway projects. There's an ongoing highway project in the Philadelphia suburbs that I was assigned to as an engineer with the last consulting firm I worked with. I kid you not, it's been in the works for the last 56, that's right, fifty-six years, and it’s called The Woodhaven Road Project. Look it up! It will never be completed in my lifetime just as the Philadelphia Eagles will never will the big one, The Super bowl.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:36 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
For some odd reason after torpedoing the US energy market (not withstanding the Gulf Oil spill), Obama has set up a "Task Force" to speed up the Regulation process to build the Alaska Gas Pipeline.

Personally I think it is smoke and mirrors in an effort to look like he is doing something positive, but I don't see him really behind it at all. If he was, good for him, but proof is in the pudding, but he has stopped exploration all over the States!

They may just build a smaller "Bullet line" to Fairbanks first now.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:16 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
It's a shame that Alaska's oil industry got hit so hard by legislation; seems like you would want to keep the citizens of your state employed, but hey, what do I know? I've personally been thinking of getting my CDL and going to ND for awhile after my degree is finished to drive and save up some money to move to AK. I've been hearing over and over again that they have a shortage of drivers. I wouldn't want to live in a mancamp though, after reading about what life in one of those is like. Rather pitch a damn tent. Or, if I do land the trucking job, just sleep in the sleeper on my truck, assuming it has one.

I don't know, this ND thing is huge, seems too good to be true. I have two different friends my age who have already gotten up there and are making a LOT of money, at least by early-20's standards. Like, driving a nice new truck and got money in the bank money. For someone my age, that sounds mighty nice right about now.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:56 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times
Yes...ND is where it's at right now. I just found out a foreman for one of the major North Slope Contractor that lives here in Palmer is moving to Montana to head up their work in ND. He is going to commute from central Monatan.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Yes...ND is where it's at right now. I just found out a foreman for one of the major North Slope Contractor that lives here in Palmer is moving to Montana to head up their work in ND. He is going to commute from central Monatan.
Good god, that is a LONG commute. Does he have to do it often? I was just thinking I would live in a different town since Williston has basically become a total mess due to its boomtown status. I was thinking Alexander, but who knows, the boom may have engulfed more than just Williston. I poke around the ND forum sometimes to find information about the oil deal. It's too good to pass up, I think. Bummer for the foreman, though, having to leave a beautiful place like Palmer.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Fixing Palin's ACES disaster has got to be Parnell's focus: Paul Jenkins | Alaska news at adn.com

Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
In reality, Palin's tax hike on the oil companies has been great for Alaska once the price of oil went considerably higher than when ACES was implemented. That's the reason why the legislature has not agree with Parnell in reducing the amount of taxes. If I well remember, ACES has increased the surplus to over 8 billion already. But it's very possible that ECES will eventually bite Alaska in the butt. Only time will tell.

There are two sides on the issue of ACES: one side, mostly Democrats plus some Republicans backs it up, and the other is against it.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
In reality, Palin's tax hike on the oil companies has been great for Alaska once the price of oil went considerably higher than when ACES was implemented. That's the reason why the legislature has not agree with Parnell in reducing the amount of taxes. If I well remember, ACES has increased the surplus to over 8 billion already. But it's very possible that ECES will eventually bite Alaska in the butt. Only time will tell.

There are two sides on the issue of ACES: one side, mostly Democrats plus some Republicans backs it up, and the other is against it.
zzzzzzzzzzzz

tell that to the people who have lost Slope jobs since it's implementation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska