Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
I had a couple big silver salmon given to me tonight that I had to figure out how to clean and fillet. At first I was just going to stick them in the freezer for my husband to deal with when he comes home from the slope. Then I decided to stop being a sissy about it, how hard could it be? I watched a couple of short film clips on the computer, took a deep breath and started the process.

I feel like a kid hollering "I did it! I did it!" I give myself an A for effort, D- for technique and a big S for silly with happiness. The fillets are all in the freezer now, the mess is cleaned up (except for me) and my dog things I am the best thing he has ever smelled. I did learn one other thing tonight, my husband has to teach me how to sharpen my own knives.
Congratulations on learning how to clean and prepare salmon.

It is an important skill I think everyone should learn. At the very least it will give you a better understanding how fish is prepared when it is sold in grocery stores. There are still many who give no thought as to how the fish or meat "magically" appeared wrapped in cellophane in the store. There is a complete disconnect for many city critters. You are no longer disconnected from reality, and can comprehend the entire process of turning a fish swimming in a river, lake, or ocean, into a meal. That is indeed useful knowledge.

As far as being an Alaskan, you became an Alaskan the same day you moved to the State with the intention to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Congratulations on learning how to clean and prepare salmon.

It is an important skill I think everyone should learn. At the very least it will give you a better understanding how fish is prepared when it is sold in grocery stores. There are still many who give no thought as to how the fish or meat "magically" appeared wrapped in cellophane in the store. There is a complete disconnect for many city critters. You are no longer disconnected from reality, and can comprehend the entire process of turning a fish swimming in a river, lake, or ocean, into a meal. That is indeed useful knowledge.

As far as being an Alaskan, you became an Alaskan the same day you moved to the State with the intention to stay.
I thank you Gliltch for your encouragement at learning a new skill (though sure not skillful yet). I chuckled at the not being disconnected from reality though, trust me, growing up in northern Minnesota's very rural country is pretty darn real! When we moved to Homer my husband and I crossed over to the dark side and became officially urbanites by comparison.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I thank you Gliltch for your encouragement at learning a new skill (though sure not skillful yet). I chuckled at the not being disconnected from reality though, trust me, growing up in northern Minnesota's very rural country is pretty darn real! When we moved to Homer my husband and I crossed over to the dark side and became officially urbanites by comparison.
How can one grow up in rural Minnesota and NOT learn how to catch, clean and fillet fish? Were you tied up and kept in a closet your entire childhood?

Most people who grow up in rural areas learn the cycle of life at an early age. At least that was the case for me, and everyone I knew. Those who grow up in cities learn other urban skills, and typically have no need to learn were their meal originates or what was required in its preparation. It is enough for them to know that grocery stores is where food can be found.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,522 times
LOL. The fish or game was already dealt with before it was brought home. It wasn't a sexist division of labor but pure practicality.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
LOL. The fish or game was already dealt with before it was brought home. It wasn't a sexist division of labor but pure practicality.
You never went fishing yourself? I lived in Minnesota at two different times in my life, once from 1960 to 1964, and again from 1981 through 1984. Both times I lived in the very urban city of St. Paul, but I was still a fishing fool. Our freezer was always full of crappie, blue gill, sun fish, bass, catfish and an occassional northern pike or lake trout.

After I moved to Alaska I had to relearn everything I knew about fishing, but I still love the experience.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:07 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times
This is another one of those things: how DO you learn how to fish in Alaska? I can fish reasonably well down here on lakes, rivers, streams, and saltwater, so what's so different about it in Alaska? Is it the methods you use to actually catch the fish? I know a lot of people use nets for the salmon up there, but that's about all I know about fishing up there.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Quote:
That's how it was in our house... now that I have to deal with everything myself... amazing how good you feel even if the job could have been a bit better .... it comes with experience right LOL... I hope to learn the Salmon skills too .. who knows by time I get up there.. you can mentor me on it

Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
This is another one of those things: how DO you learn how to fish in Alaska? I can fish reasonably well down here on lakes, rivers, streams, and saltwater, so what's so different about it in Alaska? Is it the methods you use to actually catch the fish? I know a lot of people use nets for the salmon up there, but that's about all I know about fishing up there.
You talk to people in Alaska who already know how to fish for salmon. It has more to do with technique than equipment. While dip-netting does indeed catch fish, it is not fishing.

First and foremost, there are no "pan fish" in Alaska. That took some getting used to for me. By "pan fish" I am referring to the small crappie, blue gill, sun fish, bass, etc., fish that can easily fit in a frying pan. Even the Grayling, and Dolly Vaden are bigger than most frying pans.

There are also no catfish in Alaska, but there is something similar, the burbot. Northern pike is an invasive species introduced to Alaska, and only very rarely achieve the size of northerns in Minnesota or southern Canada. Pike also prey on trout fingerlings, and I believe there is still a "No Release," or "Catch and Kill" regulation from the Alaska Department of Fish & Game concerning northerns. They are also known as "snake fish" in Alaska.

Once you get past what fish are and are not located in Alaska, then there is the question of equipment. While you can still fish stocked lakes with a casting reel, however, the vast majority fish the rivers and streams with spinning reels or fly rods. Fly rod fishing is still in the minority among fishermen. Typically this is because it requires more skill, dedication, and money than fishing with spinning reels.

You will also have to tailor your equipment for the kind of fish you want to catch. There is a huge weight difference between Reds or Silvers, and Kings. With Reds and Silvers you need nothing more than 10 pound test, and many use less. With Kings you need at least 20 pound test, and many use more, plus a steel leader. That means if you want to fish for all three species of salmon, you will need at least two different rigs. Some will also use their King fishing rigs to fish for halibut, but only if they intend to catch halibut smaller than 100 pounds. My personal preference for Reds and Silvers is a Fenwick "Willow Wisp" rod with six pound test. For Kings, I use an Ugly Stick rod suited for 30 pound test, a large brass Penn reel so I can also use it in salt water, and an 80 pound test steel leader.

You will also be doing a lot of standing in water to get away from the shrubs on the banks so you can cast, so a nice pair of hip-waders would be a prudent purchase. Chest waders might be a good idea for lake fishing, but I would not advise going that deep into any river in Alaska.

The rest, and most important part, is about technique. If you are allowed to fish with "bait," the ONLY bait anyone uses is salmon roe. Once salmon make the transition from salt water to freshwater, they are no longer interested in eating. Salmon roe blobs are fixed to either a single or treble hook (depending upon what the regulations allow), and allowed to drift down river with the current. If a salmon encounters the blob of roe, they will attempt to plant the blob into the river gravel bottom in order to secure it. It is at that time, when the salmon takes the roe into its mouth and before it spits it out on the river bottom, that you must set the hook. Unfortunately, there is no way to teach you what to feel for just before you set your hook, that has to be learned through experience.

There are two methods for letting your salmon roe drift down river:
  • Some use floats or bobbers, about 18" from the hook, allowing the baited hook to sink while their line floats; and
  • Most use lead weights, again about 18" from the hook, using just enough weight to allow the current to take the bait, but keeping the line on the bottom of the river.
There are also many rivers and streams where only lures or single unbaited hooks are allowed. In such cases there are a wide variety of lures to choose from. Some of the most popular include Spin-N-Glows and Dare Devils.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
thanks Glitch... definitely different then fishing in Wisconsin... that helped me decide to sell my fishing gear and re-invest when I get there. I have my list of what I'm keeping and my gear will be put in the yard sale now...

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM

200 posts, read 287,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You talk to people in Alaska who already know how to fish for salmon. It has more to do with technique than equipment. While dip-netting does indeed catch fish, it is not fishing.

First and foremost, there are no "pan fish" in Alaska. That took some getting used to for me. By "pan fish" I am referring to the small crappie, blue gill, sun fish, bass, etc., fish that can easily fit in a frying pan. Even the Grayling, and Dolly Vaden are bigger than most frying pans.

There are also no catfish in Alaska, but there is something similar, the burbot. Northern pike is an invasive species introduced to Alaska, and only very rarely achieve the size of northerns in Minnesota or southern Canada. Pike also prey on trout fingerlings, and I believe there is still a "No Release," or "Catch and Kill" regulation from the Alaska Department of Fish & Game concerning northerns. They are also known as "snake fish" in Alaska.

Once you get past what fish are and are not located in Alaska, then there is the question of equipment. While you can still fish stocked lakes with a casting reel, however, the vast majority fish the rivers and streams with spinning reels or fly rods. Fly rod fishing is still in the minority among fishermen. Typically this is because it requires more skill, dedication, and money than fishing with spinning reels.

You will also have to tailor your equipment for the kind of fish you want to catch. There is a huge weight difference between Reds or Silvers, and Kings. With Reds and Silvers you need nothing more than 10 pound test, and many use less. With Kings you need at least 20 pound test, and many use more, plus a steel leader. That means if you want to fish for all three species of salmon, you will need at least two different rigs. Some will also use their King fishing rigs to fish for halibut, but only if they intend to catch halibut smaller than 100 pounds. My personal preference for Reds and Silvers is a Fenwick "Willow Wisp" rod with six pound test. For Kings, I use an Ugly Stick rod suited for 30 pound test, a large brass Penn reel so I can also use it in salt water, and an 80 pound test steel leader.

You will also be doing a lot of standing in water to get away from the shrubs on the banks so you can cast, so a nice pair of hip-waders would be a prudent purchase. Chest waders might be a good idea for lake fishing, but I would not advise going that deep into any river in Alaska.

The rest, and most important part, is about technique. If you are allowed to fish with "bait," the ONLY bait anyone uses is salmon roe. Once salmon make the transition from salt water to freshwater, they are no longer interested in eating. Salmon roe blobs are fixed to either a single or treble hook (depending upon what the regulations allow), and allowed to drift down river with the current. If a salmon encounters the blob of roe, they will attempt to plant the blob into the river gravel bottom in order to secure it. It is at that time, when the salmon takes the roe into its mouth and before it spits it out on the river bottom, that you must set the hook. Unfortunately, there is no way to teach you what to feel for just before you set your hook, that has to be learned through experience.

There are two methods for letting your salmon roe drift down river:
  • Some use floats or bobbers, about 18" from the hook, allowing the baited hook to sink while their line floats; and
  • Most use lead weights, again about 18" from the hook, using just enough weight to allow the current to take the bait, but keeping the line on the bottom of the river.
There are also many rivers and streams where only lures or single unbaited hooks are allowed. In such cases there are a wide variety of lures to choose from. Some of the most popular include Spin-N-Glows and Dare Devils.
Awesome post Glitch! That is exactly how we fished when we came up this summer. Quite different than the panfishing techniques we use down here, but we did do some "back bouncing" for silvers with salmon roe that is kinda like bouncing the bottom of the river for catfish. Fun, fun, FUN!!!

So if filleting a salmon similar to filleting say a 5 lb. bass? If so, then bring it on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: