Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 03:16 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times

Advertisements

Ask any teenager; or young adult about kotzebue; or what ever other village you have access to in the Arctic. How are you today ? (smile).. I'm just being 'bored' is the #1 comment we have heard daily in all villages. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 03:51 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Ask any teenager; or young adult about kotzebue; or what ever other village you have access to in the Arctic. How are you today ? (smile).. I'm just being 'bored' is the #1 comment we have heard daily in all villages. Why is that?
"bored" is a lack of imagination due to lack of parenting to encourage creativity.... communities do not need centers for children to go to for activities...they were never in existence years ago...parents needs to interact with their children and inspire creativity..

Last edited by blueflames50; 09-05-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 04:08 PM

9 posts, read 24,064 times
Thanks for the replies to date. In an ideal world, I would have visited, but the opportunity has never arisen, and having been presented with an opportunity to work in Kotzebue, I am willing to take the chance to explore a new world and a new culture. It might be a 2 year stint, I might stay longer, but at least I will have taken that chance and added to my experiences.

Having previously prepared for a Barrow position, I have a basic understanding of the unique nature of the North Slope...at least you won't see me asking for directions to the local Starbucks!

I find that the what-ifs haunt me more than the shouldn't-haves I have the rest of my life to work in Kenai, Juneau, Anchorage, etc...but the best chance for me to experience life in North Alaska will be when i first arrive in-state.

Based on comments and looking into it some more, i am leaning towards just selling everything off here and showing up via plane. As small as the town is i figure i can just walk. Having been a lurker i see dozens of 'moving to barrow' posts from people that have never been, so i can understand the warning from people in this thread about visiting prior to. Thanks for the warnings, but if everything goes according to plan I will be in Kotzebue in late September to early October.

Thanks for the finnskimo blog info ShipofFools42, I will dig into it tonight.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
"bored" is a lack of imagination due to lack of parenting to encourage creativity....
So you are saying in all the villages it is the parents lack of ability in parenting ???

Or could it be that there is absolutely nothing for them to do.

How would you know what these parents are like. Do you go around Judging everyone by your lame standards ?? Who gave you that authority ??

It must give you great pleasure to follow me around and post your childish comments that don't even make any sense what so ever. Especially for a person who has so much in-ablity to even read and comprehend simple sentences. It looks like your parents didn't show you how to accomplish constructive use of your time.

HERE COME DA JUDGE !!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
So you are saying in all the villages it is the parents lack of ability in parenting ???

Or could it be that there is absolutely nothing for them to do.

How would you know what these parents are like. Do you go around Judging everyone by your lame standards ?? Who gave you that authority ??

It must give you great pleasure to follow me around and post your childish comments that don't even make any sense what so ever. Especially for a person who has so much in-ablity to even read and comprehend simple sentences. It looks like your parents didn't show you how to accomplish constructive use of your time.

HERE COME DA JUDGE !!
well it is simple psychology of sociologically studies of how parenting of children is achieved which I am sure you do not understand.... so do you personal integrety attacks...you have no understanding of this...that is why you subscribe to teen centers and other activeities vs teaching parents and future generation how to raise children to achieve a lifestyle to their culure.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:02 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
^ How about a little bit of both? It can't hurt for kids to have more activities. Usually compromise works better than choosing one extreme or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
I find that the what-ifs haunt me more than the shouldn't-haves I have the rest of my life to work in Kenai, Juneau, Anchorage, etc...but the best chance for me to experience life in North Alaska will be when i first arrive in-state.
Your first sentence... ain't that the truth, haha. I agree with that whole-heartedly. But I'm curious. Why do you think that your best opportunity to be in northern Alaska is when you first get there, other than this job offer? I'm sure there are plenty of jobs that involve travel to villages.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
well it is simple psychology of sociologically studies of how parenting of children is achieved which I am sure you do not understand
I don't understand ??? What world are you living in ?? I raised 4 sons by myself; I don't understand ???

EVERYONE that meets my sons does nothing but rant and rave about them including all their teachers. Nine teachers asked me plainly "Mr.. Eves .. how did you do this.?? We have never ever in all our teaching careers ever met boys like this. How did you do it ? These boys are always so happy, so helpful, so polite and very well mannered.

I am a complete failure.. at grasping your type of reasoning.
That's the same thing all the admin said to me at Brother Francis and At Beans Cafe and all over the villages. In the School District and beyond.

You are right bonnie .. I haven't the slightest clue.. and either do you for making that ridiculous biased statement!

I gotta add that one to your many classics !!

"I thought only natives could carve" -

When it comes to stupid statements you take the cake girl. you are totally clueless for sure and you prove it every time! (chuckle).

Old 09-05-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I don't understand ??? What world are you living in ?? I raised 4 sons by myself; I don't understand ???

EVERYONE that meets my sons does nothing but rant and rave about them including all their teachers. Nine teachers asked me plainly "Mr.. Eves .. how did you do this.?? We have never ever in all our teaching careers ever met boys like this. How did you do it ? These boys are always so happy, so helpful, so polite and very well mannered.

I am a complete failure.. at grasping your type of reasoning.
That's the same thing all the admin said to me at Brother Francis and At Beans Cafe and all over the villages. In the School District and beyond.

You are right bonnie .. I haven't the slightest clue.. and either do you for making that ridiculous biased statement!

I gotta add that one to your many classics !!

"I thought only natives could carve" -

When it comes to stupid statements you take the cake girl. you are totally clueless for sure and you prove it every time! (chuckle).
well spin in into your individual world. this is not about how you raised your children it is the norm of the general public raising of children. as far as any other comments you wish to quote that I have said do so in a manner of proof. It is not all about you and your comments....get over yourself...BTW I did stop by the Brother Francis ..an Beans Cafe.........dream on in your world of beliefs ....ahhhahahah this is why when I visited with you an your sons you amendmently stated time and time again how the villages of people (several villages) HATED you and your sons because of the supposed wealth of money you have.....

Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM

amendmently stated? I never did no such thing! amendmently? Lay off the sauce girl. Everytime you drink it is very apparent!!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
amendmently stated? I never did no such thing! amendmently? Lay off the sauce girl. Everytime you drink it is very apparent!!
again...sauce or drink??? Hardly...you can give it up on that issue.....like you have never made spelling errors or anyone else here..... ahahahahhaa....nice swipe at my integrity with such accusations!
edit: oh I might have some issues when my blood sugar goes too high or bottoms out but am usually aware of it!

Last edited by blueflames50; 09-06-2011 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska