Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:30 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,693 times

Advertisements

More Texans, hooooray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 01:01 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya Jean View Post
I'm moving from San Antonio to Anchorage in June 2016. I lived in South Naknek for a Summer, so I know that the cost of stuff is outrageous. I'm driving up so I'm planning on stocking up on basics, shampoo, conditioner, soap, fem hygiene, cooking spices, laundry soap....any other suggestions?
Why stock up on that stuff to carry in your car? Why not just order it from Amazon Prime? Free shipping. Car would be lighter which means you'd save gas money. Stuff isn't that much more in Alaska (especially in the cities) than lower 48 cities.

If you want to bring stuff up in the car, I'd suggest a couple of cases of oil for oil changes. Other than that the cost difference IMO wouldn't offset the extra fuel costs.

If you are moving to a bush community and need to barge your vehicle, shop in your port city down south so that you take advantage of your vehicle's gross weight.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 895 times
Hi Sonya! We too want to move from TX to AK. We're from Ohio, but moved to Texas because of my husband's job. We've only been in Texas for a year and a half, but are chomping at the bit to get to Alaska. Just curious, what are you hauling your stuff with? We're still deciding how we'll haul ours up....

Old 09-28-2015, 10:24 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH2AK View Post
Hi Sonya! We too want to move from TX to AK. We're from Ohio, but moved to Texas because of my husband's job. We've only been in Texas for a year and a half, but are chomping at the bit to get to Alaska. Just curious, what are you hauling your stuff with? We're still deciding how we'll haul ours up....
Uhaul trailer...However I recommend just selling everything you have and starting over again. Unless you have heirloom stuff. Or a large family, but the cost to move stuff is pretty high.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:39 PM

941 posts, read 1,913,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I was born in Texas. Once you get out of it you never have a desire to go back. Besides that the Alamo is fixin' to fall, again.
Actually San Antonio is thriving and growing at rapid speeds here.

However, I agree that most people who live in Texas(whether born and raised or new) have no desire to come back once gone. I have been here going on 3 years, with one job stint in AK for 8 months last year, and I seriously miss the clean fresh air and COLD!! We lived in AK for 15 years and just the air quality alone makes me miss it there. But that is one of many. My daughter also really misses the colder weather and hates the heat here. Even the Mexican food in Alaska is better than here in TX. Just met a girl from Anchorage and the first thing she said was she missed the Mexican food there, I was like OMG me too!!

One thing I absolutely loathe here in TX is the school system, even though that would have no effect on you. As for the higher cost of living there, you know it is not that bad. Really depends where you go. You definitely get more house for your dollar in most areas in TX but property taxes may be more in TX(I think?) And also depends how you are as a spender. I know a lot of people in AK who are budget conscious and they do very well. When I was there I use to justify my dividend as not being extra money, but to offset higher costs of stuff like food and utilities. When I rented there my rent was actually cheaper than where I was from In CA.

I agree with others, as long as you have everything in order, including finances, when going you will most likely have zero regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska