Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 AM

39 posts, read 78,103 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'd like to ask about the current job market in Ketchikan.

I'm a 22 year old female and I'm a certified marine welder (3G SMAW) with 2 months of welding experience. I'm looking to get hired by Alaska Ship & Drydock. Are they currently hiring at the moment? The position that I'm applying for is "Entry level welder, fitter, cleaner & metal scaffold erector".

Actually, I emailed them an application last month but they haven't replied me yet. To be fair, I'm still in Singapore and in the "address" section, I typed down my address in Singapore which is obviously a foreign address. I'll be moving to Ketchikan in October so once I rent an apartment there I'll send them another application.

Other than welding, my past experiences was Administrative assistant, Bartender, Waitress & dog groom-er. And other than my welding certificate, I have a college diploma in "Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Management".

I really enjoy welding. I haven't welded for 3 months and I'm going through withdrawal symptoms. I miss the sound of an arc being struck and I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING WITH MY HANDS!

Thanks and I appreciate any info I can get!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development

Old 09-16-2011, 01:53 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katharhswong View Post
Actually, I emailed them an application last month but they haven't replied me yet. To be fair, I'm still in Singapore and in the "address" section, I typed down my address in Singapore which is obviously a foreign address.
They aren't even going to respond to you until you are physically present in Ketchikan. You'll need to go into the office and talk to them. They hire but it's almost all local hire.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 PM

39 posts, read 78,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
They aren't even going to respond to you until you are physically present in Ketchikan. You'll need to go into the office and talk to them. They hire but it's almost all local hire.
Thanks for the info. I'll do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: