Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,057 times

Advertisements

I'm always amazed at the work your sons put into these works of art... Like Star said, I'm sure anyone could try to do this but some people are just more artistic and have the patience to do it... Thank you Sity for your posts... I do a lot of reading and at times don't thank you for your constant information... I did like the humming bird you showed a while back... now that really showed the artistic talents.. small and so much detail ... enjoy your day Sity and hope you and your family enjoy the holidays and do not work so much you don't enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,434 times
Thanks for taking the time to comment Naturesdreams! We only work a few hours a day. We are usually all finished before noon.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 PM

Waking up early (6:00 am sharp) Work begins @ 7:00 a.m. sharp; we begin our day. The whole idea is to be finished and out the door before 10:00 a.m.
Back home finished for the day by or before noon.

I like to stick to a regular routine; as I did when working during my working years..

We have a small order today to finish.

As with any project; simple shapes are used: drawn on the material (baleen) and cut out, smooth all sharp edges.

Sanding the edges of the shapes to make them smooth.

NOTICE: how the sandpaper is stacked on that accessory shaft; just rip the top layer away to expose a new layer to use.

Tear-Drops & Ovals. Plain & with ivory insets.

The end of another day; .. .. It just doesn't get any easier than this.

Last edited by Rance; 12-07-2011 at 07:25 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 PM

10 pairs of ear-rings I was told; they left with 7. When I asked where's the other 3 ? The answer I received was; I need to know what she wants! Oh excuse me.

Polishing the pieces to take to market !! Although these are already spoken for.

Take the time to polish correctly; which means more than one coat of polish. When you can see yourself clearly in that shine; then it is properly polished. Wipe with tissue, wet with rubbing alcohol, to remove any residue of polish or oil from your fingers.

The same simple steps day after day. We take no days off. This is our routine every day. This is our job!!

Black Glass (its the shine that sells).

Old 12-07-2011, 07:13 AM

Another day; cutting up pieces; making bracelets; Our most popular bracelets are the simple black & white combination -using baleen mixed with ivory or mastodon.

Lots and lots of simple shapes are made daily; this is our routine; cut lots of them and try and get ahead, where we can concentrate on making ten or more bracelets with all the pieces ready to be worked on.

Again & again & again, the same simple steps are done daily - with classical music! At times - soft rock - but we always end up back to just the sound of music - not singing; that is something altogether different than pure music.
Plants & Animals know the difference; man has yet to learn the many soothing benefits from classical music.

NOTICE: The edge of the baleen (bottom piece) see.. that white horizontal line? It is only barely noticeable in the top piece on the corner facing you. that white line is the layer where all the blood vessels reside. You cannot expose that layer, It looks like or resembles deep scratches that can't be removed unless you remove that whole layer. The only time that is going to be a problem is when you are using baleen that is very thin to begin with.

This baleen is very thick. It is a pleasure to work with. And it stinks to high heaven when sanded. - The smell is extremely poignant & repugnant, Yuk -I'm sure if you could 'bottle' this smell it would sell on e-bay. There is only one way to describe this smell "whale fart"

Continuing onward: - airing out the room !!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Dust & odors.. .. you must have a method or way to deal with that. We employ several different methods. Fans, vacumns, AirCleaner Unit and very large sliding window.

Let me take the time to explain something to YOU! These simple steps can easilly generate six figures for income ... ... every four months! ALL YOU NEED TO accomplish, is to make & finish.. 3 bracelets each and every day. That is very difficult for one prerson to accomplish alone. But two people can make that happen so quickly and easily; All ya gotta do is try.

Drawing simple shapes on material, cutting them all out, .. this is so easy to do. No experience necessary - it takes no time what so ever to become very good at doing this. What does it pay - to sit and type on forums voicing your opinions and information ? Not one red cent! Ah but the price of friends is beyond any measure of $$. True.

I'd much rather be more productive of my time and make sure it is invested in something that reaps great rewards that are not necessarily related to $ but into helping others.

Let's play a game... ... slice down several rows before you complete the cut(s).

Now we have to re-insert this piece in a vise and cut in a different direction. GET BUSY...

I'll be back soon with more.. .. instructions! Show & Tell!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 AM

Default S.S.D.D. = Same Steps Different Day.

The same simple steps day after day;

Draw shapes

Cut or slice

smooth or sand

Polish to a brilliant shine.

These next set of images need no explanation. We are going to just cut up ivory, so we can draw the same simple shapes.

Lots more... to show & tell.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 AM

Cut, cut, cut, slice, cut cut cut. That's not enough. Usually we use 9 or 10 or more pieces. Just for one bracelet.

So... it stands to reason; you need to make lots & lots of pieces daily.
My sons are all adults now; but this is what they enjoy doing; It passes the time; they feel they have made good use of their time and accomplished something useful for the day. It is that simple. And I like simple! It just doesn't get any easier than that.

We post these images to inspire YOU! Get busy; you have no idea the possibilites that await you when... .. you begin to acquire an inventory of simple products. Made from simple shapes using fossil or mastodon ivory.

These images illustrate one method of how to cut up the hollow end of any tusk. How to use all of that ivory effectively to get the most out of it.

If it was that easy... .. everyone would be doing it. I hear that arguement in lots of different places. Well the truth is.. this requires actual work, Most peoples attention span can't exceed 45 minutes. They convince themselves; this is not going to work. This is too boring.. I can't do this; I don't want to do this. Ok no problem. You are the only reason it won't work. If you won't work at doing this daily then your right; it will never work.

Patience; Persistence, dedication, discipline & production = success!!

One sentence to contemplate for more than 5 seconds. - Take The Time To Think. What is your dream? your goal? The sentence above is the simple key to arriving at your goal. Patience is something learned over a period of time.

Have a great day.. (2b-continued)

Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 PM

It doesn't matter where you live; if you can read these words then; you can do this. having someone to work with and pass the time with is a great help to make the time more enjoyable.

Juneau is the 'hot spot' for this entire state. All native artists have said the same thing to us in the past. Juneau is where you products receive the highest prices. Point Hope's most famous artist. Simeon Koonuk who was very well known all over this state. He made too much money in Juneau and was murdered for that money in the early 90's. That murder is still unsolved!

http://majikimaje.com/Ivory/800/Decivory59.jpg (broken link)

The 'core' which is absolutely useless; is thrown away.

Lots of new pieces. enough for ten bracelets; add some more baleen and mastodon pieces mixed with the ivory pieces and we might have enough to make 30 bracelets.

So for now, this is where the bracelets are put together for the final steps. Insets, drawing lines for drilling. etc. This is the finish area. Pack & stack em in boxes.

Two people will work here in this area; while the 3rd person preps more ivory / baleen / mastodon to keep ahead of what the other two workers need.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,077 times
Why is the core useless? Is it soft? Just curious! Thanks. Love these threads, by the way. Your boys are very talented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska