Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 02:07 PM

216 posts, read 364,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
great job La***ter! not sure you want your name out there! hahaaa
Ha - I knew you'd out me.

Almost finished with it - maybe tomorrow I'll get it done if I have time.

Big thank you to Sity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,290 times
We have some baleen to send to you; so you can finish. (no charge) My suggestion; take some of those scraps that are no good and try to cut out a perfect circle using a burr bit. Practice making insets!! Practice 'spinning' circles!!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
We have some baleen to send to you; so you can finish. (no charge) My suggestion; take some of those scraps that are no good and try to cut out a perfect circle using a burr bit. Practice making insets!! Practice 'spinning' circles!!
Fantastic - that would be great, thank you.

Haha tried that already, od is good but id needs work, thinking end mill bit might work for inside, gotta try something doing it by hand ain't that good.

Almost got it done but need to enlarge the holes for the knot to go into, 1st try they didn't quite fit in, 2d time should be the charm.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:03 PM

This is not hard to accomplish by anyone. It just takes practice and a feel for what you are doing!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 PM

A few new pairs of ear-rings made this morning!

Women.. .. spend a lot of money.. .. on their 'ears'!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 AM

In trying this the first thing I found out was holding the template piece on to trace around is that it slid around easy - my cure was to wrap a piece of double sided tape around template. 2d was to get pieces same size after getting thickness right - stack and clamp then sand 4 - 5 pieces at one time, clamped lightly you can rotate the pieces around in the clamp. Dust is very fine and goes everywhere even with a dust collection system, soaking in oil first helps. Dulls drills quickly. Hole size for knot needs to be pretty large - inlarged twice and still not big enough. Super glueing cord worked good but going to try glueing a tooth pick on next time. 10 pcs 3/4" long = a 6 1/4" wrist - laid out it's 8" long - miscalulation on my part, wife's wrist is 6 3/4" Not sure how it will be after adding more pcs as the bevel angle will change and not (lock) together as before. Changing bevel now will also shorten each piece slightly, changing the dia and look. Her friend said she thought it was plastic - hummm good - bad ?? There's only one cord in it in the pic, I started to take it apart before thinking of taking a pic. She liked the idea of adding baleen for contrast, but I think it's going to look odd after adding pcs and rebeveling - pieces will be short and fat.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:54 AM

The Problem: template slides on the ivory when you try and trace it.

SOLUTIONS: 1). The ivory will 'stick' to the template if you wet it slightly. 2). The ivory will not slide if you have the pieces 'rough sanded'.

The problem: Knots will not insert into the larger holes drilled.

SOLUTION: You did not Tighten them with all your might to make them as small as possible. You must pull those knots with all your might. Remember you are using elastic cord. Pull those knots much tighter than you would ever expect you have to do. That is the only way your going to ever get them to fit inside.

Keep up the great work! Your ear-rings look very very nice indeed!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Laker, you going to give your six figures a month away, too?
Haha - yeah sure you can have all I make off of this, Hell I can't even get one done in 4 days - I'd go broke before getting going - nope not doing it for the $ just tried to make one for the wife - almost did it right. She'll probably have to wait until I can buy her one now. Sity was nice enough to send me what you see, if I could I'd buy enough so after a few try's I might get one that fit her and was decent enough. Good chance I'll ruin this one trying to make it larger. Doing it makes one apprecate the workman ship they do that much more, gotta hand it to them, they do a super nice job that not everyone can do. I can easyly see the flaws in mine compaired to theirs, I'm sure you can too.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:11 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Yours are better!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Yours are better!
Thanks warp, but we both know - nope - those kids do a great job, their work is very impressive. I could never do the free hand work like they put out - true carving and creativity that's talent. I can copy the basic work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska