Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 04:09 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,915 times

Advertisements

These hand made ivory/baleen diamonds are very tiny to work with. They are only about 1/4 of an inch long. Quite small; any imperfections will show up immediately in the pieces being assembled.

You are only limited to "your imagination"! The possibilities are endless!!

Patience is not something you "have". Patience is something that is "learned".

Want proof ? That is easy and simple.. just ask God for patience and watch what happens in your life. I guarantee; you will never repeat that prayer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 05:58 AM

A closer view. 12 diamonds to be inset inside of ivory/baleen pieces; Making them all -> Perfect.. .. is close enough!!

"Practice .. .. makes 'better'!

The whole purpose is to achieve "no gaps"! Make that inset look like it grew there. How did they put that in there... so perfect?

Each piece is identical in each and every aspect; You cannot tell or see any differences in quality!!

The boys make the pieces. I am QC - quality control. When they present that finished work to me. If I find one imperfection. I point it out to them. 'If I can see that - then so can the customer!! Make a new one or fix it!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 AM

The white diamond has been inserted into the hollowed out space on the bracelet piece. Notice it has to be sanded flush with the top of the baleen.

Meanwhile the exact shape must be created to fit between each bracelet piece perfectly - then it is.. .. close enough!

Soon I will post the photos of the finished works before they are strung up & tied.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Default A new Ivory Carver has learned how... ..

These samples were made by one of our online students who has read this thread and acted upon the information therein: Guess what - he found out - everything I stated was true.

Nice work - for a 'rookie', but those days are gone; This person knows what to do and how to do it and is moving upwards everyday!!

Simple shapes of ivory or baleen will make $$ daily - not so with them tv stars searching for gold.

Ivory is more valuable than gold! NO risk, no adventure, it is boring, but it does pay extremely well!!

Ask any of our new students!! (chuckle).

OUTSTANDING JOB MY FRIEND; thanks for sharing your work!! I am very impressed.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 PM

Default Show & Tell

Circles & more circles... how do we make them so perfect every time ???

I am going to show you the secret of how this is easily done using two fingers only.. .. with the 'right touch'.

The first part is very easy; draw a circle on any material. Next step is to cut that circle out on each side so that you have a small square that has a circle on it.

Move the piece up to the sander and 'break" every corner off. Next step is to hold the piece LIGHTLY between your two fingers. Push toward the sanding disck LIGHTLY - that disc will start to SPIN. Release your fingers to stop the rotation.

Perfect is close enough!!

Naturally this will require a bit of practice until you learn how to apply pressure to the disc to make it spin.

Unless you have a 'perfect' circle - you cannot inset it without any gaps showing. That is the secret!!

Practice & learn how to do this; it pays enormous dividends.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 PM

Default Super Kewl ear-rings !

This is a must to learn how to do. These ear-rings command a large price everyplace you show them.

They are in huge demand all over the state of Alaska! They will be very popular no matter in which part of the world you display them in.

Step one: cut two pieces of ivory 3/8" square by 1" or long(er)

Divide the piece into thirds with horizontal lines as shown.

Draw lines on the piece by rotating it or wrapping a string around the piece.

Insert burr cutting bit and hollow out all the lines as shown in the next photographs

DISCLAIMER: We have "nothing" for sale. Everything you see posted in these images are long gone.

The purpose of this thread is "to teach you" how to generate products from home, and reap the generous profits.

These fine unique ear-rings sell for (50 - 80 ) per pair. BUT... ... if you add

a "ball" or a contrasting color "rod" or bar inside these ear-rings you have just doubled the price and people pay that much for a pair of these.

How do you get an ivory ball inside a set of these type of baleen earings ?
How do you get a baleen ball inside of a pair of these type Ivory ear-rings ?

(think) .. .. and I will show you the "secret" in one of my next posts.

Can you figure that technique out ??

There are, that I know of; two different ways to accomplish this.

Once you have all the lines drawn on the shape; then "round" the shape into a circular shape by breaking off the corners!

Take your time when doing this. This does require practice before you will learn how to do it second nature with perfect results every time.

It takes about an hour to make a pair of these. Work hard through the day and it is easy to make ten pair.

That is a lot of inventory and a lot of "rewards". (chuckle).

3 plain pair ready to .. Oops they were gone today. Snatched up by a "happy smiling" native woman!

The amount of time you "waste" by sitting there watching tv.. you can easily work and watch and produce something worth while for your (empty time).

Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 PM

Default Polishing Techniques for Bracelets

Many people have asked me; how do you achieve that "glass like" brilliant shine.

When you dip your polishing wheel into the tube of fabuluster briefly. That wheel will contain TOO MUCH polish.. Spread it out along the bracelet; then rub back and forth until all of the polish disappears; then repeat if necessary.

Have fun; & learn.. .. to create!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 PM

Stringing up the different pieces of the bracelet to finally finish this beautiful product.

Truly irresistible.. As soon as these are shown - they are gone (yesterday)

Do you want one? Then you have to make it yourself!! That is what this thread is all about. YOU DO IT...

This is child's play with simple shapes and taking the time to put it all together! YOU can do this.. children in many different villages have learned how to do this - perfectly!!

Using your imagination to design different shapes and put them together is all practice. That is how you learn - by failing- but then you become better at it with each additional bracelet you make. It is only going to take you 2 - 3 or 4 bracelets to become very proficient at making these splendid works of art.

Sign your work with your name; That is the very last important step. All of our work (in bracelets) are signed and dated (year)

We begin year #9 On April 1st!!

"Just like the barber said... ... next!"

Time to make another one!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:31 AM

Default Another Student posts their work.

Well I sure am impressed at all the many different people that are trying this @ home and generating income in a very surprising easy method.

It just doesn't get any easier than this:

Keep sending me photos of your work; I will post it if you do not have a way to post your photos.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,091 times
Im sorry to say if your not part of the solution your part of the problem. You may find your ivory instead of killing animals for it but thats not true of the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska