Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:19 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
Cool website, It take a while to get through the whole thing, cool art and pictures. You have the items as needed? PM with what I would like to buy?
You do other carving on other material than ivory, like antlers?
EVERYTHING - you see on our web site(s) is long gone. We have nothing!

The WHOLE PURPOSE of this ENTIRE THREAD - is to TEACH YOU - how easy this is to accomplish; even for a complete rookie with no experience.

Every morning we wake up 'BROKE' no $, None - zip! That's the way I like it.
Every evening we go2 bed 'BROKE' no $, None - zip! That's the way I like it.

During the morning hours we create 3 new bracelets and some ear-rings; they are gone in a couple of hours when we make deliveries. Then the entire cycle begins again - !

We have the most fun - when we surprise people and just give! That has to be the greatest 'high' I've / we have ever experienced! That's the main reason we do it so much - That 'feeling' can't be described accurately using words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Default Ideas... are born - by using a pencil

That is where is all begins; by using a pencil ..

Jesse wants to use this small end of that last tusk we purchased to create an Ivory bowhead whale using nothing but 'files'. A good assortment of small files of all styles & types is essential for any carver to own.

But first, something needs to be drawn on paper to transfer to the ivory. That is unless you are experienced enough to simply draw directly on the ivory itself.

These are the main shapes or pieces to be used to create this ivory necklace with insets.

Yes Indeed ! Ivory carving is very boring; once you finish a step; then you have to do the exact same thing, over again, & again.. and over again. Every single day; - There is the reason most people will not continue.

This design should lend well to give a distinctive look. But the detail is where this will change the overall apprearance greatly.

The new design is being used to make a nice necklace - As more detail is added; I will post the images.

(to be... ... continued).

Old 11-07-2011, 01:53 AM

355 posts, read 508,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
It needs an ivory fuse so we can launch the mother ship back to vulcan for repairs!
Thats wildchilds area of expertise..

But i do rather enjoy coming in and looking at his and his sons handy work with real ivory. I have always loved cultural arts and craft things. Being part native american this thread hits home for me truth be told.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2AK4job View Post
Thats wildchilds area of expertise..

But i do rather enjoy coming in and looking at his and his sons handy work with real ivory. I have always loved cultural arts and craft things. Being part native american this thread hits home for me truth be told.
Well thank you very much for the kind words IL2AK4job -There is absolutely no reason why you can't follow the same simple steps and and learn to create.

The detail is being carefully added to this fine necklace; I will post the images tomorrow evening. A lot of work is going into this necklace to enhance the original design. It is not finished - but it is already sold; sight unseen to "Two Spirits" gallery downtown Anchorage.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Well thank you very much for the kind words IL2AK4job -There is absolutely no reason why you can't follow the same simple steps and and learn to create.

The detail is being carefully added to this fine necklace; I will post the images tomorrow evening. A lot of work is going into this necklace to enhance the original design. It is not finished - but it is already sold; sight unseen to "Two Spirits" gallery downtown Anchorage.
No sir im not patient enough to do tedious work such as that!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 PM

Yes, it does require patience; but this is something you learn, - slowly. The whole idea is to pre-fabricate certain steps then take a break.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:20 AM

Yea work on it in sections and move from piece to piece to break up the monotony

Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2AK4job View Post
Yea work on it in sections and move from piece to piece to break up the monotony
There are many 'trick's I've taught the boys; as how to deal effectively when working such boring and mundane simple tasks.

Make a simple 'game' out of it.

Go someplace else (in your head) while your doing these simple steps that can literally be accomplished with little or no fuss one bit.

Prefabrication is the simplest way to do it; and get incredible results in no time.

Once you have ample inventory - then the fun begins !!

We learned other tricks by watching what other carvers do. Set up an assembly line and "think" how you can access everything you need right at your finger tips without ever moving or getting up.

Keep your (working area) extremely neat and organized. Working in a mess ... will end up displaying the (same) results on your work.

Yeah it can get old - but working @ home (whoa) - There is nothing better out there that pays as well for sure.

I am sure -100% positive.. .. if you could work @ home and rake in $500 per day (or much more). YOU would continue and never look back!!

EDIT: Today as Mark was on his way home; he saw two homeless people on the corner of 36th with signs. Will work for food! Mark was riding his bike and he said - hungry ?? their eyes opened wide and he said - follow me over to Denny's - he brought them in (4) - told them order anything on the menu. They ordered Mark walked up to the counter and paid the bill and said have a great day and he left. WITH - The 'biggest' smile on his face, he came home wearing that smile and I said; Whatcha so happy about - ?? He said I gave away XX to feed some homeless people on the way home. Good !! Great was my response.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 AM

868 posts, read 1,426,842 times
I love this thread. Such beautiful work! I used to do a lot of beading, but never tried making any of my own beads or pendants. It looks like fun, especially having such gorgeous materials to work with.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I love this thread. Such beautiful work! I used to do a lot of beading, but never tried making any of my own beads or pendants. It looks like fun, especially having such gorgeous materials to work with.

You are 100% correct; it is a lot of fun; to make things using your hands and other small tools. It produces a sense of pride and accomplishment for your labor.

Start out small and purchase a small piece of fossil ivory. Learn to draw simple shapes and turn them into gorgeous simple ear-rings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska