Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 PM

19 posts, read 60,060 times

Advertisements

Today my workmate snapped.It made me realize the nuance of taking your time.So now im the bad guy.Why?you ask?nevermind.My "goal"is to go into to buisness for myself.Period.I dont really have a preference of what it is,but i want to pay the bills and sign the checks.He doesnt care,he said so.I do care. Many of you may wonder why i chose the alaska forum,as opposed to the texas forum,thats where i live.Heres my point.My interaction with this forum in the beginning was to gather data,about moving there.That was my "goal".Well, i was sucessfull.Now im smarter.However,the most interesting thing happened.I accidentally made friends.So now i like to sign on and vent.I always get some of the coolest responses.At first, all i thought was, getting to alaska was paramount.But that "goal"opened up a whole new world of thinking or at least some peeps that seem to want to help others make good decisions.As, they, taught me.Even though i was ready ,with money, to move up there,talking to you guys showed me i need to shore up a few loose ends.I guess the moral of my message is this.Dont let a defeat of a "goal" decimate its original intent,nor the presence of resistance in the face of your interest define the substance of your position. You can still get to alaska with, or without a truck,whether it has a flat tire, or not.Yes, you will have to change it.So one day i will arrive,whether i tie my shoes twice or not. hooray! enlightened goingnorth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 01:09 AM

395 posts, read 1,718,335 times
Default Promises, promises...

So, when are you moving up there??

Old 08-23-2007, 07:27 PM

19 posts, read 60,060 times
Default i admit my planning was faulty,but...

i still plan to go and am still researching it,i let a bad few months get me hurried into something i wasnt intellectually ready for.so i got over eager,im entitled to be human.i really bieleve im doing the right thing by holding off a little while.i trust my instincts and they tell me i was way too hasty and angry when i was planning.seriously! ive wanted to go since i was a boy,so whats a few more months or maybe a year?

Old 08-25-2007, 09:18 PM

395 posts, read 1,718,335 times
Hey North,
Maybe you should check on the job situation there 1st before you head thataway. I sure don't like to see you starve or freeze to death up there. I heard it is slightly nippy during the winter months.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:58 AM

338 posts, read 1,370,177 times
When I moved to AK from L48, I resigned from my job in L48, moved in with a friend for a few months and interviewed for jobs by phone to secure a job prior to moving. Also made two very short weekenders up before that to determine exactly what area I wanted to live (relatively "cheap" airfares), submitted an online questionnaire to folks from AK whom I sought out online for info, and while there, made price comparisons to determine what items I might want to ship prior to going. It took me a few months longer than I thought/wanted, but by the end of summer, I had shipped up 20 small (12x12) boxes (with business inventory included) and got on a plane to fly to my new destination. Never regretted it. I'd "always" wanted to go... so a few more months once I got started gave me just the time I needed to do what *I* needed before leaving the L48 solo. You'll know when it's "time", but I'd also recommend not to plan to the nth of the degree (I'm a planner). Everything you'll need for living in AK, you'll find in AK - even a vehicle. Pack life into storage where you are "just in case" you decide to return for good. But... chances are, you'll find yourself missing it once you go back to relieve yourself of all the household items you find you'll no longer need to live in the Last Frontier... peacefully and happily. Like the rest of those who find their hearts & souls there once they finally arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska