Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 17,159 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are looking in to taking our first Alaska vacation. We are interested in flying into Anchorage and driving to Valdez. I've looked into accomodations that welcome dogs, since our fur children will be going with us. Super 8 motels are pet friendly (Anchorage) and the Totem Inn Cabins are pet friendly. The hotel prices don't seem too bad to me. What is the cost of food and entertainment. Since the cabins have a small kitchen I figured we'd probably eat breakfast in the cabin. How much are groceries (4 humans, 2 dogs), gasoline and something fun to do (doggie friendly, of course)? I'm sure we'll go out to eat a couple of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 AM

69 posts, read 319,799 times
Hi Blue, you know I live here and can't tell you food prices. When I go to the store I get what I need and hope I have enough money. Food prices are high but if you shop sales which you won't be doing on vacation its not too bad. If you have a Safeway club card you can get a gallon of lucerne milk for $3.50. At 3 bears (costco type) they got good bacon for $1.99 a pound. I would bring food down to cook. Going out to eat with the family I'd recommend the halibut house for seafood. If you want to buy some seafood (rockfish, oysters, salmon...) I recommend Peter Pan Seafoods. They sell wholesale during business hours.

I bought gas today and it cost $51.00 to fill up my almost empty Toyota Truck. I went to Capt Joes in town and heard later it was 10 cents cheaper out at the Acres. The only 2 gas stations in town.

Lots of great hiking trails and if your family is into geocaching thats a fun thing to do. Lately, folks have been catching silvers right off the city dock. No boat needed! Use small herring for bait. Its kid and dog friendly. Bring a lunch and coolers for your fish. There is a sani-can. Silvers should be running for a while. Even after Labor Day.

There are a couple of places in town that will take care of your fish for you. They will freeze it and ship it Fed Ex to where ever you want.

If your not into fishing a Glacier Cruise is a lot of fun but spendy.

When are coming down? Valdez folds up the sidewalks by the first of October.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 AM

Doing my best to make this vacation happen April 30, 2008 to May 7, 2008. It looks like we won't be bringing the kids (regular or furry). Our children aren't really interested in going and the airlines have a bunch of rules for the fur-children and I'm having trouble getting answers. They seem to not mind small dogs, but, a huskey and lab don't fit under the seat very well. It's like trying to fly with hippopotamus. I'm looking forward to hiking and seeing the waterfalls. I've never been fishing, so that might be neat. My husband used to go every weekend with his family on the ocean to fish. Now he has skin cancer from it. He says fishing is fun, but, not with the sun down here. We're going to do the dinner cruise thing in Seward and the dog sled ride. Then I want to take the ferry from Whittier to Valdez. Enjoy Valdez for a few days. Then back to Anchorage to fly home.

I have to find comfortable, warm, waterproof boots. Good thing for the internet, because they don't exist in Florida. lol We're always trying to find shoes that are water proof but let the heat out. From what I've read there will still be snow on the ground and it should be in the high 40s for the daily high. If the high for the day is in the high 40s here, people think they are going to freeze to death. It's pretty funny.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:31 AM

115 posts, read 613,499 times
In 2007 if you departed Whittier 5/10 on the F/V Chenega the travel time would be 2.75 hours and would cost $86 per adult. The return ferry would be available on either 5/11 or 5/13 same travel time and cost. An adult is anyone over 12yr. Cabela's is a good store to get gear from and is on line. Travel on any other ferry is 3 hours longer!
At this time of year you would not have to worry about the Sun and fishing would not be available and you may even still get to enjoy the snow. Expect wet weather not much chance for enjoyable hike even on road.
You might want to check on how much snow Valdez gets in the Winter. Hint think a BIG number!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Thumbs up Valdez Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue6675 View Post
Hello, we are looking in to taking our first Alaska vacation. We are interested in flying into Anchorage and driving to Valdez. I've looked into accomodations that welcome dogs, since our fur children will be going with us. Super 8 motels are pet friendly (Anchorage) and the Totem Inn Cabins are pet friendly. The hotel prices don't seem too bad to me. What is the cost of food and entertainment. Since the cabins have a small kitchen I figured we'd probably eat breakfast in the cabin. How much are groceries (4 humans, 2 dogs), gasoline and something fun to do (doggie friendly, of course)? I'm sure we'll go out to eat a couple of times.
It is a very pretty 6-7 hour drive from Anchorage to Valdez. Around mile-marker 100 of the Glenn Highway you will want to stop and check out the Matanuska glacier. Glennallen will be your last stop for gas and hot food before you get to Valdez. Thompson Pass is spectacular any time of the year, but much easier to drive in the summer.

You can find a Totem Inn in Valdez at 144 E. Egan Drive, (907) 835-4443. They also have a reasonably priced restaurant. In general, the prices for everything in Valdez will be slightly higher than they are in Anchorage. Gasoline will run you around $3.00 to $3.10/gallon for regular unleaded. Groceries will cost you a few dollars more. The cost-of-living index for Valdez is 128 (100 is the national norm), so it is a bit more expensive.

As far as "dog friendly" things to do, I took my dogs on a hike through the old city (Valdez was moved about 5 miles after the 1968 "Good Friday" earthquake wiped it out). Just keep an eye on them or they may find an old salmon carcass to roll around in. There are lots of trails to explore.

Naturally, there is also fishing (one of my favorite summer activities ). Valdez has lots of salmon and decent sized halibut and the waters are not nearly as rough as Kachemak Bay out of Homer. Keep an eye out in the harbor and bay for seals and sea otters.

Last edited by Glitch; 09-05-2007 at 05:23 PM..

Old 09-07-2007, 08:05 AM

How do I find out if the Ferry from Whittier to Valdez is running on 5/3/2007? I was able to estimate the price of the ferry for two adults and a car. It said $291. We are thinking of Anchorage for the first night. Then driving to Seward for two nights. Then driving to Whittier and taking the ferry to Valdez. We want to stay in Valdez until Tuesday then drive back to Anchorage, stay the night. The next day board the plane and go home. I'd like to be able to stay longer, but, that isn't going to happen due to schedules and funds.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:25 PM

115 posts, read 613,499 times
5/3/07 has already gone.!
In 2007 Ferries ran between Whittier and Valdez on Monday and Thursday and will probably not change. In 2007 they had a special where the driver could ride for free. If the special will work in 2008 is ? The fare maximum would be $86 per adult and probably $126 for your car if 19 feet long or less. The bigger the vehicle the more $$ The firm 2008 schedule will be out around late Oct or sometime in November. The telephone number you can call in Juneau is 1-800-642-0066
I hope this helps you.
the distance from Valdez to Glennallen is about 120 miles this is the nearest gas station. Then to Anchorage is about 198 miles with Palmer being the closest gas up point 48 miles to Anchorage. Glennallen has a Restaurant. Be selective on your Hotel/Motel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska