Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 PM

41 posts, read 49,622 times

Advertisements

Alright everyone hi, My names Justin and im a veteran recently out the military. I've been all over, im currently trying go back to school for ecology and wildlife conservation or resource management. Ive always wanted to move to alaska i lived in washington state and have endured some pretty cold winters before. im currently in reno nv. I was wondering how the economy is there in alaska right now and how job market is hiring wise. Couple things i was looking at doing is fish and game wildlife or possibly even wildlife trooper. Ive been looking at land around snake river area little more north and around willow and skwentna outside of anchorage.

I would like get some land and build log style home nothing to big and was wondering some green ideas as far as solar? hydro or other ideas for power. also how hard is it have well dug and roughly does anyone know around how much it cost do a well?

I plan on taking a trip there this next summer seeing how i like certain areas and visiting more over next few years seeing as how wont be finished with school for the next three years here.

Other thing i was wondering is how veteran friendly is it in areas of alaska. some places ive been havent been as friendly to veterans or treat us that well.

Thanks in advance for everyones help and answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,600,796 times
Alaska is very veteran friendly.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 PM

thanks. cant wait take trip out there check places out. any rec. for places to see to?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,044,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder396 View Post
Alright everyone hi, My names Justin and im a veteran recently out the military. I've been all over, im currently trying go back to school for ecology and wildlife conservation or resource management. Ive always wanted to move to alaska i lived in washington state and have endured some pretty cold winters before. im currently in reno nv. I was wondering how the economy is there in alaska right now and how job market is hiring wise. Couple things i was looking at doing is fish and game wildlife or possibly even wildlife trooper. Ive been looking at land around snake river area little more north and around willow and skwentna outside of anchorage.

I would like get some land and build log style home nothing to big and was wondering some green ideas as far as solar? hydro or other ideas for power. also how hard is it have well dug and roughly does anyone know around how much it cost do a well?

I plan on taking a trip there this next summer seeing how i like certain areas and visiting more over next few years seeing as how wont be finished with school for the next three years here.

Other thing i was wondering is how veteran friendly is it in areas of alaska. some places ive been havent been as friendly to veterans or treat us that well.

Alaska has the highest percentage of Veterans per capita of any state (myself included). That should tell you something.

Lots of people build log cabins. Solar is definitely doable, but not a reliable source of power year round for obvious reasons. I've never heard anything about small scale hydro up here, but wind works here though. Most people who live off the grid up here use Diesel Generators to supplement a signifcant portion of their power.

As for your other question, Fish & Game Wildlife Nazis are not necessarily the most popular folks in some parts of Alaska.

Quote:
any rec. for places to see to?
Anywhere in Alaska!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,496,208 times
Quote:

Welcome to the Alaska forum. As far as the Alaskan economy is concerned, it has been better. However, it is not as bad as the lower-48. Currently the state-wide unemployment rate is 7.6%, but it was as high as 8.1% this past January. Anchorage and Fairbanks both have an unemployment rate of 5.8%, and Juneau has an unemployment rate of 4.5%. However, when you get away from the population centers in Alaska the unemployment rate soars. Both the Northwest Arctic Borough and Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area have an unemployment rate of 14.5% and 14.7% respectively.

Source: Unemployment Rates

If you are looking for work with the Alaska Department of Fish & Game, keep an eye on this web site: http://notes3.state.ak.us/wa/postapp...=30&Expand=8#8

There is certainly lots of land available in Alaska, and your dream of building a log cabin is certainly within the realm of possibility. There are a lot of people who have done exactly what you are planning on doing.

There are some things you should consider before buying land in Alaska.
  • First and foremost, do not purchase any property that you have not personally visited and checked out yourself. You do not want to spend several thousand dollars just to find out that you bought five acres of musk-keg and permafrost with stunted trees;
  • Second, if you plan on living year-round in the cabin, then a well will be a serious consideration. Check out the depth of the water table before you buy, because it can vary from shallow (less than 100 feet) to extremely deep (500 feet or deeper). At around $40 to $50 per foot to drill a well in the bush, that could get more expensive than the property itself;
  • Third, consider the weather. Alaska is a huge State and has a wide variety of weather, from a temperate and boreal rainforest to an arctic desert, and everything in between. Southern exposure should also be a consideration since sunlight during the winter is limited.
As far as power is concerned, hydroelectric will pose a problem during the winter, when you need it most. Solar is also very limited during the winter. Wind or a wood gas generator may be a better solution for generating power year-round.

Alaska is very veteran friendly. There are more veterans per capita in Alaska than in any other State in the Union. 11% of the Alaska population are veterans. Including myself.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:59 PM

863 posts, read 2,082,861 times
Howdy. I'm sortof a resource management (RM) generalist (I've dabbled in forestry, surveying, archaeology, wetlands, and cartography), and I can definetely say there is a market for that up here. My one piece of advice, while you're in school, is to TAKE SOME GIS COURSES. This is likely the key to finding year round employment in any kind of RM field in Alaska.

I would put the job search first in priority before getting set on a place to live. A lot of RM jobs up here are located out in the boonies, particularly the more interesting, adventuresome jobs. The towns are small though, and each has relatively few jobs, so you'll want to remain as flexible as you can until you land a permanent salaried job (or are confident that you can meet your income needs in a given town). On the up side, there are lots and lots of cabins out in the woods for rent in the Willow area you mentioned, and in many other rural areas around Alaska. So it's pretty easy to ease into "the life" without tying yourself down to a piece of dirt. I say this all the time, but never, never, NEVER buy property in Alaska without walking it first in the summer. A very high percentage of this state is wetland and you'd be surprized what people try to sell... By the way, Skwentna is off the road system, and will have few, if any jobs.

One problem with the Willow area is that it's in the Mat-Su Borough, which means property taxes. If I were you, I'd be looking for employment out in the eastern interior where there are no boroughs, no property taxes, and the land is cheap. The cost of digging a well varies so much that it's not even worth estimating. Just depends how far down the water table is. In some areas, it's literally cheaper to have water delivered, even including the relatively civilized hills around Fairbanks. As far as green energy goes, it totally depends on where you live. When I lived in Delta, quite a few people were experimenting with solar / wind power (it's a windy place in winter). When it comes down to it though, most folks off the grid primarily rely on a gas generator for power, though many up here are content to use very little electricity. Oil lamps and wood stoves are still common out in the sticks.

I think I remember hearing that Alaska has a higher percentage of veterans than any other state, but don't quote me on that. Lots of active military presence for sure. You'll have no problems with that.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 PM

thanks alot everyone. ive been looking at the over the counter alaska land site as far as looking for land so far. i wouldnt make up my mind till i knew more where id be working. and def. wouldnt buy without first visiting and checking it out. As far as green energy to power the house i was looking at winsconsin log home since they have thermal logs with a rating for walls at R value of 45 plus and roof of 65 plus. as for lights id install led since they use less energy and last forever. i wouldnt use lights unless nec. take advantage of window placement for sunlight and heating as well. As far as running it all like said was thinking of solar with solar storage to save the unused power for winter and look into wind power as well. for heating i was thinking wood stove and not sure what else along with insulated rated windows. wouldnt want anything to big seeing as how would cost more heat and for energy. id rather a bigger shop/garage for all my woodworking and other things lol. And as far as working in remote areas i wouldnt mind either.

Thanks for all input anymore would be greatly appreciated. also are there certain animal restrictions as far as pets?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:49 PM

also which degree or area does everyone think would be easier finding a job in as far as forestry and ecology. or ecolgy and wildlife conservation(wildlife biologist)or other fields? thanks again

Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,206,848 times
I hear carving ivory brings in 3000 bux a week.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:43 PM

158 posts, read 323,452 times
The others have great advice. All that I can add only being here for 12 days is that it is very veteran friendly (I am a veteran too) and you should definitely visit first and check it all out.
Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska