Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 AM

811 posts, read 1,302,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
well Wild... technology isn't in thin air anywhere if you want remote... I spent many days out in the middle of sore finger bay off of seymour channel (admiralty island se) and the only connection was a satellite phone and the minutes are not cheap... very expensive if you want convenience and amenities with anything you want to buy. do a lot of research first and like everyone on this forum... walk it before you buy it for sure!! good luck
I looked at buying a sat phone, but they seem to change as fast as computer technology, better to rent one.
Some folks have said for the time being just head to friends, lodge or rent a place when I want to go up. With taking care of my folks is pretty much a full time job and priority here, so away time can very from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,850,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
I looked at buying a sat phone, but they seem to change as fast as computer technology, better to rent one.
Some folks have said for the time being just head to friends, lodge or rent a place when I want to go up. With taking care of my folks is pretty much a full time job and priority here, so away time can very from time to time.
Well for the time being that is good advice.. keep looking and dreaming and maybe some day your dream of your own AK land will come true

Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,982,513 times
Maybe just get a camper for you truck and stay there during the summer months. You could travel around the state a little to see what you liked.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Maybe just get a camper for you truck and stay there during the summer months. You could travel around the state a little to see what you liked.
That is a great idea... I could find a place to store the truck, camper and fly home. Have the best of both worlds and give me time to see the state. Take some time to find a location I would like get some land, etc.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:31 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,456,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
Well now days if you're on the road system, almost everywhere has cell service, there are exceptions, but it there is a small community around, they normally have service now.

Sat phones aren't that reliable, seems they drop calls when you can get them to work. You'd be better off with the new "Spot" that can be linked to your cell phone and IM messages to off the Satellites. It doesn't receive, but whomever you give your password to, can tell where you are in the world and follow you as you go. At least they can tell authorities where you are at in an emergency.

SPOT Connect

Old 12-29-2011, 04:12 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,777,828 times
I don't think it's really realistic to expect to find a large plot of land for sale that has cell service, highway access, good hunting and/or fishing on the actual property, and is suitable for building on. If something does come up for sale that meets all those requirements you'll pay through the nose for it...that'd be prime real estate.

Most people in my neck of the woods who live on the highway do their hunting and fishing on public land or on their own remote (read: no road access, no phones) recreation properties.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well now days if you're on the road system, almost everywhere has cell service, there are exceptions, but it there is a small community around, they normally have service now.

Sat phones aren't that reliable, seems they drop calls when you can get them to work. You'd be better off with the new "Spot" that can be linked to your cell phone and IM messages to off the Satellites. It doesn't receive, but whomever you give your password to, can tell where you are in the world and follow you as you go. At least they can tell authorities where you are at in an emergency.

SPOT Connect
That is very intresting I have been looking at them today, they have some great rebates on most of there products.

Thank you very much.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:20 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,244,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I don't think it's really realistic to expect to find a large plot of land for sale that has cell service, highway access, good hunting and/or fishing on the actual property, and is suitable for building on.
I know a place exactly like that, but I sure ain't telling where it is. At least, not until we can afford to buy it ourselves.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:11 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,777,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I know a place exactly like that, but I sure ain't telling where it is. At least, not until we can afford to buy it ourselves.
Sneaky

Old 01-26-2012, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 12,748 times
Outlying land/cabins for sale: http://www.coastalak.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska