Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM

162 posts, read 359,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
I don't have a plane. I would have to call for a flight out. That is why I was looking for something with a road that I can take to an airport with in reason. That is why I had asked about cell phone service so I can be in contact.
You'd better cross Ketchikan off your list, then. No road to the airport.

I think any large property on the [local] road system is going to be expensive as all get out in Southeast. Cell coverage is remarkably good here in Ketchikan after they changed over to 3G but it still doesn't make it to the end of the road. I live 12 miles north and if I stand in just the right way I get service, but it's terrible, lots of drops and such.
I think you'd actually be surprised at how little land there is available here anyway. The vast majority of the land in SE is owned by the federal government as Tongass National Forest, and a lot of what's left is owned by Sealaska. There's still land out on POW, and there's also some on the outlying islands but you gotta skiff or fly yourself out there.
Most people I know who hunt do it on public land- they get in their skiff and go out to one of the islands, or head inland on four wheelers.
No moose here, so if you're hoping for one of those you're out of luck. Same story in most of Southeast. I think Haines has moose though, and there's some pretty cool cabins out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:45 PM

863 posts, read 2,064,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I know a place exactly like that, but I sure ain't telling where it is. At least, not until we can afford to buy it ourselves.
Copper Basin or upper Tanana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska