Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:26 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times

Advertisements

i thought about the things that I would miss if I were to move to AK, based on of course my limited exposure to AK during my vacation.....i cant think of anything except maybe cattle. i love the smell of cows, i love wide open range, longhorns, horses, rodeo events. that is the one thing i remarked on when i was traveling through AK...that i didnt see cows or cattle ranches! (are there any?)....
but anyhow, moose and bear and caribou more than make up for the lack of cattle.
other than that, of course, needless to say, mild winters...but harsh winters would just be the price to pay for living in AK and enjoying the best summers in the world, and best of all, being able to walk through the woods and hike without worrying about snakes. (the only thing i am deathly afraid of)
SO...for those who have transplanted themselves to AK, what do yall miss about wherever yall are from in the lower 48?

Last edited by NOTAM; 11-23-2011 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 05:32 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,727,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
i thought about the things that I would miss if I were to move to AK, based on of course my limited exposure to AK during my vacation.....i cant think of anything except maybe cattle. i love the smell of cows, i love wide open range, longhorns, horses, rodeo events. that is the one thing i remarked on when i was traveling through AK...that i didnt see cows or cattle ranches! (are there any?)....
but anyhow, moose and bear and caribou more than make up for the lack of cattle.
other than that, of course, needless to say, mild winters...but harsh winters would just be the price to pay for living in AK and enjoying the best summers in the world, and best of all, being able to walk through the woods and hike without worrying about snakes. (the only thing i am deathly afraid of)
only snow snakes in Alaska!

Old 11-23-2011, 05:50 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
illegal aliens from mexico who can't speak or understand english working behind the counter of mcdonalds.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:18 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,113 times
There are cattle ranches in Delta Junction-100 miles south of Fairbanks.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 PM

good to know...so only in Delta Junction area? nowhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
There are cattle ranches in Delta Junction-100 miles south of Fairbanks.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
SO...for those who have transplanted themselves to AK, what do yall miss about wherever yall are from in the lower 48?
I missed some things while in Barrow but Fairbanks or Anchorage have them so I got to make up whenever I was in those towns. Right now I'm missing Alaska terribly and cannot wait to get back.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 PM

13 posts, read 17,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
illegal aliens from mexico who can't speak or understand english working behind the counter of mcdonalds.
I hope to miss this one day! I cant wait to move to AK!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:13 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,340 times
I miss being able to drive out of the snow. Here, it's snow for 2500 miles.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 PM

868 posts, read 1,425,900 times
I miss tomatoes. Big, fat, vine-ripened tomatoes, still warm from the sun. And outdoor swimming pools.

Gawd, this could degenerate into a whine-fest. If I post on this thread again, I want someone to slap me with an Alaskan salmon.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:28 PM

yall dont have them up in AK? or not many just dont make it that far, or its too cold or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska