Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post

24. I thought I read something once about schools teaching children about survival - is that true and part of a curriculum?
Some schools have survival classes. It's not universal or part of the state curriculum or anything.
Actually, most of the Interior villages that I've been to (almost all of them) do teach some of these types of things.

Here in Fairbanks our kids go snow shoeing and cross country skiing for PE in the winter and ice skate during recess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,042 times
very interesting questions and answers!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
I learned hunter safety in 6th grade in Delta Junction (back in 1977) and the last part of it was to practice shooting in the gym. My mother wouldn't let me do that part, she felt it was unsafe. Maybe she was right because there was a minor misfire-no one was hurt though.

Re prices Anchorage vs Fairbanks: cigarettes cost roughly $2 more per pack in Anchorage, they have higher sin taxes. So maybe alcohol costs more in Anchorage too but I don't know because I rarely buy alcohol.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 AM

Here's my blog post which shows a visit to friends out in the bush. To get to their house I have to drive 6 hours to Eagle, park by the river, where they pick us up in their boat. Go up the river x number of miles where their ATVs are parked. Drive them up the trail which they cut themselves, by hand, x number of miles to their cabin.
A Fowl Adventure 2011 « Alaska, The Madness

Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 AM

370 posts, read 882,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
are you really a nurse?
Hi NOTAM,
That makes 3 of us Texas related nurses on here at the moment! Although, I was only there for 4.5 years.

Hey, (side bar) I have a little video my friend's mom sent once I got here, beautiful of Texas.

Wyman Meinzer's West Texas

I met a post op nurse who is here on assignment until Feb 18th and she was some locals were asking her if she knew another nurse who was a traveller too. This was at the Artisans courtyard which seems to be a fabulous place for comraderie, fitness, artistic expression, (yoga, dance and even an expresso bar!)

Jen
p.s. unsidebar, Good luck new Nurse from TX, (I've only been here since 3:30 am on Dec 28th so I don't have much to say except...BEAUTIFUL!! ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL, I've never seen such white snow before, having lived in Chicago for 41 years. this is amazing...went out for activities when it was -41 the other day and will be going out today as well and I think it is -42.)

Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
I'm another nurse from Texas (although living in the midwest currently, and yes I'm male) and I think I'm leaning more towards fairbanks rather than Anchorage for a relocation.

I'm curious though -

7. Does one have a higher crime rate than the other?
Hi,
I've lived in Chicago and San Antonio and now here for a few days. Fairbanks is the only time I've ever had someone steal something out of my car. It took me a day to figure out that my door didn't lock by the manual button when I used it while running and that I had to use the remote.

However, someone stole the snow brush out of the Ford explorer I'm renting...Yet, considering that the rental was running...its likely they were just counting coup on me a little.

Jen

Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
Thanks for the answers so far everybody!

And yes I'm a nurse from San Antonio, although I'm currently in Iowa right now.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Thanks for the answers so far everybody!

And yes I'm a nurse from San Antonio, although I'm currently in Iowa right now.
Hi,

I am not sure why NOTAM asked if you were really a nurse, (perhaps to discuss mutual travellers companies?)

Like I mentioned, I was in San Antoni for 4.5 years but am from Illinois. Howdy quasi-neighbor!
Jen

Old 01-03-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi,
I've lived in Chicago and San Antonio and now here for a few days. Fairbanks is the only time I've ever had someone steal something out of my car. It took me a day to figure out that my door didn't lock by the manual button when I used it while running and that I had to use the remote.

However, someone stole the snow brush out of the Ford explorer I'm renting...Yet, considering that the rental was running...its likely they were just counting coup on me a little.

Jen
Oh no! Well, welcome to the land of crazy people.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
It was mentioned once before, but I'd like to re-suggest a visit if at all possible. Take a few days, fly into Anchorage, rent a car and do the drive to Fairbanks & back. It'll give you a much better idea of what you might be getting into.
For researching home prices in Southcentral Alaska (Anchorage, MatSu Valley) the MLS site is www.AlaskaRealEstate.com - Statewide MLS system - Homes, Land, Commercial, Businesses .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska