Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 AM

468 posts, read 799,568 times

Advertisements

We are making the move to Alaska permanent! We just got back to MN and are cleaning, packing and selling stuff We leave to head to Homer in late July. I just about have my husband convinced to tent camp most of the way to save money. Does anyone have any favorite campgrounds? I plan on spending the night at Liard Hot Springs, but that is it so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 AM

339 posts, read 728,776 times
I really like Dawson Peaks campground in Teslin, YT and the Sourdough campground in Tok. Some others look pretty shady at first but really aren't bad. Ship Creek RV park right in Anchorage is where I always stay when I have to be in town. That's a sorta sketchy area close to a homeless shelter, but the campground itself is decent and I've never felt unsafe there. Especially since during the summer there's so much daylight. The location is great and it's so much cheaper than a hotel!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
We attempted the tent camping one trip up here to save money. That lasted one cold and rainy night to the tune of $25! LOL Of course that was in early May too.

Good luck!

Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
I usually just leave room in the back of my pickup and sleep in it. It's got a camper shell on it. We tried the tent thing once. Just too much hassle and wasted time to set it up and take it down. When I'm ready to go I want to get the 3 S's done and over with and be on the road in 15 minutes. Left the tent all set up for the next person at a campground in Prince George. Hopefully they got some good use out of it.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:45 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Normally, I do not camp in designated camp grounds, but I have been to three:
  • Cooper Landing - Was the best camp ground of the three I have visited. Although, the reason I enjoyed it the most is because I was the only one there in early May. It was too early for salmon, but it was still very scenic.
  • Eagle River - A nice camp ground, but crowded. Also there is, or at least was, a three day limit on the duration you may camp. It would be a good idea to make reservations in advance, if possible.
  • Talkeetna - There are only a few camp sites between the town and the Talkeetna River, both within easy walking distance. They are not managed like the other two above. However, there were no fees when I camped there.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
We attempted the tent camping one trip up here to save money. That lasted one cold and rainy night to the tune of $25! LOL Of course that was in early May too.

Good luck!
You can camp in comfort during any time of the year. The trick is being prepared for the conditions. A good cot, an indoor wood stove, and a decent tent can make camping an enjoyable experience.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:32 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
KARO Alaska Highway campgrounds and RV parks

Old 06-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Alaska Highway British Columbia RV parks and campgrounds

Old 06-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Alaska Highway Yukon campgrounds and RV parks

Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM

468 posts, read 799,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post
I really like Dawson Peaks campground in Teslin, YT and the Sourdough campground in Tok. Some others look pretty shady at first but really aren't bad. Ship Creek RV park right in Anchorage is where I always stay when I have to be in town. That's a sorta sketchy area close to a homeless shelter, but the campground itself is decent and I've never felt unsafe there. Especially since during the summer there's so much daylight. The location is great and it's so much cheaper than a hotel!
I will check those out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

Good luck!
That is my fear. My husband is not all that excited about this and if the first night is as bad as yours, I am definitely going to be hearing about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I usually just leave room in the back of my pickup and sleep in it. It's got a camper shell on it. We tried the tent thing once. Just too much hassle and wasted time to set it up and take it down. When I'm ready to go I want to get the 3 S's done and over with and be on the road in 15 minutes. Left the tent all set up for the next person at a campground in Prince George. Hopefully they got some good use out of it.
Ha! It took me awhile to figure what the 3 S's are. I have heard that on wolf debates meaning "shoot, shovel, and shut up." I couldn't figure out the relationship to camping.LOL Then the lights finally turned back on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Normally, I do not camp in designated camp grounds, but I have been to three:
  • Cooper Landing - Was the best camp ground of the three I have visited. Although, the reason I enjoyed it the most is because I was the only one there in early May. It was too early for salmon, but it was still very scenic.
  • Eagle River - A nice camp ground, but crowded. Also there is, or at least was, a three day limit on the duration you may camp. It would be a good idea to make reservations in advance, if possible.
  • Talkeetna - There are only a few camp sites between the town and the Talkeetna River, both within easy walking distance. They are not managed like the other two above. However, there were no fees when I camped there.
Thanks! I will look those up too.

Also-thanks for the links Warptman. I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska