Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 05:58 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,886,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post
Awesome pictures

Looks like a typical SE spring day. And yes, the "Silvers are running". Time to pull out a lawn chair and people watch. I can tell they are coming, Alaska has already thrown larger aircraft on the JNU-SEA route. In fact, the airplane I flew down on got "leid"
Last summer, a friend and I were causing trouble out at the glacier. He was in that gazebo thing looking at the television monitor they had set up that supposedly showed a live feed of the creek. I'm in the parking lot locking the car and he comes running toward me yelling "The salmon are running, the salmon are running!" So we both get really excited, while all the tourists stare at us. When we went down to the creek where the camera was supposed to be, though, there was nary a fish. Apparently, it wasn't really a live feed at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 09:20 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Nice nails Xa'at! Great pics too.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,102,533 times
Thank you for sharing the day! Beautiful views, even with shot-up signs

Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Just got back from a hour bike ride. It was around 20 above no wind. My toes and fingers got a little cold.

I was a slow child...

The sign says ages 7-12. These kids look a little older than that.

Bethel's Castle. Castle Bethelvania??

Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Nice nails Xa'at! Great pics too.
I chew them a lot. Also, I was poking through tidepools out on a beach before I snapped that pic- so my hands were kinda dirty...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 AM

I like how the container's color compliments the castle.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,241,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I took a calc exam today, which invariably takes less time than going to class normally would, so I had some spare time on my hands. I decided, heck, I should waste a quarter tank of gas and drive down Glacier Highway until it ends. Why not, right? I haven't been down recently.

As inglorious as it looks, this is truly the end of the road. No big signs, toll booths, or cool light shows. Just a yellow road sign that says "end."

Echo Cove- I don't know why I took this picture.

Sunshine cove. There was a fair wind, which was whipping up some gnarly waves. Well, maybe not gnarly, but they were modestly neat at the very least.

Fallen trees...

I found this on the side of the road. Chances are, it has been buried under snow all these months...

The Road needs a little work...

Winding, winding, winding!

Here there be dragons... and people who shoot up road signs for fun.

Herbert river.

Shrine of St. Therese.

Auke Bay ferry terminal.

Oh no, they're training the bus drivers! Tourist season is really coming...
Your pics make me homesick Xa'at!! I too took the Glacier highway to it's end and took pics of Echo cove...but it was in the summer ---foggy and overcast...I like the Herbert River pic...reminds me of the Herbert Glacier, my alltime favorite Juneau hike!! Here are some of the Herbert and one of the Shrine, just for you Xa'at.
Attached Thumbnails
Some recent AK photo's-dscn0997.jpg   Some recent AK photo's-dscn1002.jpg   Some recent AK photo's-dscn0995.jpg   Some recent AK photo's-dscn0641.jpg  

Old 04-08-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I chew them a lot. Also, I was poking through tidepools out on a beach before I snapped that pic- so my hands were kinda dirty...
Well I never noticed those details. I thought you have nice hands, fingers, nails & so forth & I was complimenting you on them.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Your pics make me homesick Xa'at!! I too took the Glacier highway to it's end and took pics of Echo cove...but it was in the summer ---foggy and overcast...I like the Herbert River pic...reminds me of the Herbert Glacier, my alltime favorite Juneau hike!! Here are some of the Herbert and one of the Shrine, just for you Xa'at.
Oh Cobolt, your pictures make me long for summer. You know we got about half an inch of snow last night? It's like never ending winter. It's getting to the point where when you see someone you know, the first greeting isn't "hey, how are you?" it's "why in hell is it still snowing?!"
It's like reverse greenhouse effect...
Here's one I took of the shrine last summer. Chiaroscuro, baby!

Last edited by Xa'at; 04-08-2008 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: i like this version better

Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
I want to cover my house with stones just like that. Something I will be plotting for a summer project.
Your forest photo brings me right back to the year I spent in Wrangell-Petersburg-Kuiu Island. I used to sit for hours just watching ferns and skunk cabbage grow. I may have to drag Sweden on a southeast trip this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska