Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
When is your spring? June?
Depends on where you are talking about. Remember, Alaska is a big place. For comparison, if you put the northern part of the Alaska where you are in Michigan, where I'm at here in Anchorage is down in Texas, and the southern parts of our state around Juneau and Ketchikan are down in Florida. So yea, up in the northern parts of the state, Spring is in June, Summer in July, and Fall in August. The rest is Winter! Down where I am at is slightly more moderate, Spring is May/June, Summer is July/August, and Fall is September. By this time last year we already had snow in Anchorage, though this year is turning out to be warmer. We're still in the high 30's / low 40's! Just waiting for the snow any day now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 11:34 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,415,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
nice shot of that magpie akvarmit. They're funny little birds.

Can anyone guess where this first pic is from? Warptman and Moose Whisperer should know.

The last two are from Deadhorse.
Nice photos! I miss working with those planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post

I always chuckle that those two planes have tail numbers ending in BP and CP!
It is odd considering CP operates them.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post
It is odd considering CP operates them.
Maybe cause BP is the big kid on the block and demands respect? Anyway, I always try to avoid Shared Services at all costs and ride AS. Particularly the southbound crew change flight out of Deadhorse. Its like riding on a school bus that serves alcohol!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:33 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
So the water level has gone down over the years I guess.
The key to understanding Bethel's waterfront is realizing that even though it is many miles up the river from the Bering Sea they do have a 3-4 foot tide!

But that tide doesn't affect flooding as such. Bethel floods in the spring when the frozen river ice starts to break up. Break up progresses over many days starting 300 miles up stream from Bethel and progresses to the ocean. In any given area the ice begins to break up into first large and then smaller and smaller pieces, and it invariably jams up against the larger pieces that invariably jam up against the solid ice farther down the river.

The ice jams back up huge amounts of water. Father up the river (away from the delta area near the ocean) the river is confined between mountains and the depth of flood waters from a jam can be 30 or more feet above "normal" levels.

Bethel is located in the delta, so it isn't likely to see water that gets as deep as up river, but it certainly is enough to flood all of the lower areas that are not on higher ground.

Regardless of the spring floods though, the tidal action in sloughs such as Brown Slough is dramatic. When the tide is in it is essentially a small "bay". They have a harbor for small boats, plus many boats are just tied off along the beach. When the tide is out there isn't enough water at the mouth of the slough to get a boat out into the main river, and most of the boats are, as shown in Warpt's pictures, high and dry along the bank anyway!

The tidal action on the Kuskokwim River extends all the way up to Kalskag, where they have 4-6 inches. 35 miles farther is Aniak, and there is no tide at all.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
I think Kalskag is a bit out of reach for tides. I'm thinking more like right below Akiak is where the tides stop.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I think Kalskag is a bit out of reach for tides. I'm thinking more like right below Akiak is where the tides stop.
Nope. They can see a tide at Kalskag. Not that a few inches of tide is of any concern though... :-)

Odd thing here in Barrow is that we don't have a tide either. However, oceans are big and we do get wind pushed surges that amount to a few inches. The big difference is that if there are large waves they wash much farther up the beach than small waves.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Maybe cause BP is the big kid on the block and demands respect? Anyway, I always try to avoid Shared Services at all costs and ride AS. Particularly the southbound crew change flight out of Deadhorse. Its like riding on a school bus that serves alcohol!
Hahaha. I hate dealing with them and their luggage on the Southbound flights.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:43 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post
Hahaha. I hate dealing with them and their luggage on the Southbound flights.
Don't you post on Jetcareers?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,556,872 times
Quote:
Were you able to stop at the arctic visitor's center across the highway from the Coldfoot Cafe? If not, you may want to time your next trip to do so. It's worth seeing, at least once. I believe they close the doors on September 1st. Last week of August is usually a good time to catch it, and the fall colors.

BTW, do you have your weather station up and running yet?
Yeah the visitor's center was still open and I did visit it. The area between the Arctic Circle and Coldfoot is my favorite place between Fairbanks and Deadhorse on the Dalton. Although after Coldfoot, up to Atigun and down into the northern foothills of the Brooks is pretty awesome too.

I don't have the weather station up yet. It could be a while. I want to do it right...

Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Don't you post on Jetcareers?
Yep. How did you know? Are you a member also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska