Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 PM

287 posts, read 896,929 times

Advertisements

Thanks barkingrowl, I'll look it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
Would someone mind taking a pic at 1pm, anywhere in Alaska, maybe from Anchorage and Fairbanks? What I'm looking for is how much sunlight Alaska gets at 1 pm this time of the year. My children are very curious (and I have to admit that I am too)!
Thanks
W e l l l l l... at 1 PM it will be high noon, so there's plenty of light!

If you meant 1 AM, that's different (but not by much). It will be dark everywhere in Alaska at that time right now.

But if you want to see that change as the the next couple of weeks go by, figure out a way to have your computer automatically capture images from this URL at whatever time you like.

The Barrow Sea Ice Webcam

Note that the sun transit time in Barrow is 13:26 (1:26 PM) AKDT, and that means that at 1:26 AM the sun is as low as it will get here.

There are three levels of "twilight": civil twilight is when the sun is down but within 6 degrees of the horizon, nautical twilight is when it is between 6 and 12 degrees of the horizon, and astronomical twilight is when it is from 12 to 18 degrees of the horizon.

This morning (April 17th) in Barrow it was never darker than nautical twlight. Starting on April 22 it will not get darker than civil twilight, and on May 10th the sun will come up and not set again until August 2nd.

Unfortunately I can't tell if the camera is aimed close enough to north to get a view of the sun just touching the horizon on May 10th. It might be, so that would be an interesting date to look at it around 1:30 AM AKDT.

It also happens that the webcam has a very interesting view in many other ways. It of course shows the Arctic Ocean, and the ice that is currently on it. But off to the right, that area in the middle on the other side of the road is a very active children's playground, known as Sadie's Playground, in honor of the late Sadie Neakok. There is also a boat launch ramp directly in the middle of the image. And there is a parking area where local cabs fairly often stop to wait during slow times. It's a very interesting webcab...

You can get an idea of what that area looks like in detail, and in the summer time, from one essay that I have on my web page,

Barrow As Seen From Sadie's Playground

The images showing the building on which the webcam is located are 12-15 images down the list. They are titled "playground", and the image numbers are d2x_4172.jpg and d2x_4173.jpg. Unfortunately, there is a power pole blocking the exact location of the camera and a sea ice radar on top of the building, but at least it does show the area and the height of the camera.

Here's a picture that shows the top of the building... but it isn't a very "pretty" picture. It was taken to demonstrate that the camera is not actually on the building to the left, which is what they originally said on the webcam page. The radar antenna is clearly visible on the upper right side of the penthouse on top of the building, and the webcam is also mounted there.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:34 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,886,848 times
Default Juneau...

We had an awesome day today here. It seems like nature is trying to apologize for the energy crisis by dumping some snow and then bringing the sun out.

And last but most certainly not least, my personal favorite!!

I have all these in desktop wallpaper size if anyone is interested. Just shoot me a pm and I'll e-mail it to you.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
Great pics, Xa'at!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:11 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,223 times
Beautiful! I agree...the last one is surreal. Definitely worth advertising for prints!

Do you like Photoshop? I have been debating investing in it, but the most I do to any of my images is crop and add a copyright signature. It may be interesting to experiment with Photoshop.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:59 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times
Photoshop is great, especially if you shoot in the raw (no, not naked) because you can really control the outcome of your pics.

My homies in Chicago woke up to some rockin and rollin with a nice little 5.5 earthquake (New Madrid fault). My first experience with an earthquake was on Guam, the second was the San Francisco quake in the late 80's...I was stationed near Alameda. Okay...I'm going to check on my homies.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:02 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
That earthquake must have had some people freaking out! Probably many that are still freaking out.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,415,883 times
Awesome photos

Looks like some nice weather for my dad to help bring the Chenega up from Ketchikan. Hopefully it is smooth sailing for the trip to Cordova tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
Sunrise this morning.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
That earthquake must have had some people freaking out! Probably many that are still freaking out.
Yeah...you go on the threads and people seem kinda shaken up about it. So many houses are made of brick. I can't even imagine living on the 31st floor, steel building or not....that stuff is scary. My grandma used to live in a high rise and when the wind would blow, you could feel it sway back and forth. Anyway, this is better suited for the chat thread...sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska