U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:46 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,612,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is something that's important to remember about the rain in SE: A lot of people who live in places like the American Southwest and the interior West say that they "love" rain, but what they really love are rainstorms. Rainstorms are when you remain indoors feeling all cozy and everything because you don't have to be out in it and you know that within a few hours the rainstorm will be gone. But the rain in SE is different. You'll have to be out in it if you're going to be out at all and sometimes it'll come at you sideways and otherwise pummel you from all directions.

I like Ketchikan though, as a community. I can see how you could build a good life there.

I agree about the rain. Even here in Anchorage it's too rainy for some (me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,814,282 times
I would suggest Anchorage area or Mat Sue to start with as they are the least expensive. You may not be able to live on $2,000 per month though.

Rents can be cheaper in Mat Su but there is the expense of driving to Anchorage if needed, (although just about everything you may need is in the Wasilla area). House with yard is going to be expensive in populated areas. May be able to find something affordable by going further from populated areas.

Jobs are more plentiful in the Anchorage area.

Regular schools are ok in Anchorage, the alternative / charter schools are usually better. If your child has any learning disability anchorage public schools can be a disaster. Home schooling can be a good option.

Once you get a start in the Anchorage area / Mat Su you could always venture out and find something / somewhere you like better.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM

3,733 posts, read 7,665,481 times
Mat-Su or Fairbanks / North Pole. These are the places I would most like based on my research and from everything I've read on this forum, anyway. No way I'd ever do southeast Alaska, it rains more there than it does in Western Washington, and its year round too, no break even in the summer! Just like on the western slopes of the Olympics in Washington, so too does SE Alaska have temperate rainforests. Can't stand the rain anymore, being a life long Seattle resident born and raised. Sure an occasional day of rain or even a small stretch wouldn't bother me too much, but months of it is just horrible! Mat-Su and Interior have much more agreeable climates, for starters, than SE AK.

Eagle River, Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula are all worth a look too.

You might like Washington State around Sequim, Port Angeles, Friday Harbor, or Whidbey Island. If you are looking for more seasonal variation, you might like Chelan.

Someone earlier mentioned the short hours of daylight in winter. Keep in mind that also translates to very long hours of daylight in the summer. Quite of bit of the state gets no darker than civil twilight around the summer solstice, with this period of time lengthening the farther north you go. Barrow goes several weeks in which the sun doesn't even set at all. Contrary to popular belief, Alaska does NOT have six months of daylight, and six months of darkness. And all locations below the arctic circle have a sunrise and sunset every single day of the year.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:39 PM

19,868 posts, read 35,911,044 times
$2,000 per month would be a little tight for living in the interior if there are kids, pets, and the person wants to rent of buy a house. Some people are paying over $1,000 a month on utilities alone to stay warm in the winter.

Just read the advise Richelles offered in the previous page, for it makes a lot of sense.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 PM

25,823 posts, read 35,095,826 times
You guys don't seem to be getting that she seems to plan on working and has some marketable job skills.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Just read the advise Richelles offered in the previous page, for it makes a lot of sense.
Not really. Things are pretty expensive in the San Juans. And you don't need an income of 2K X 4 per month in Alaska in order to live comfortably unless you've got some abnormal expenses or a huge family. There many ways to cut food costs in Alaska that aren't available to most lower 48 residents--I spend less money on food in Alaska than I do anywhere.

I think it's great that the OP has some sort of financial cushion that can allow her a bit more leeway in where she moves to.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:52 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,280,398 times
Met - I took it that way too... The $2k was to "get by" until a job could be found.

As far as what the best place in AK would be? Wouldn't that significantly depend on what you consider the best living conditions are?

I am no AK resident, but what I can see is that is the state is very large. It also seems reasonable that it is also extremely varied in terms of lifestyle...

Old 03-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
As far as what the best place in AK would be? Wouldn't that significantly depend on what you consider the best living conditions are?

I am no AK resident, but what I can see is that is the state is very large. It also seems reasonable that it is also extremely varied in terms of lifestyle...
Exactly. There are probably places in Alaska where it's easier to "start out" than in SE, but the OP specifically mentioned Ketchikan, which is why I limited my responses to that. Someone who's attracted to the maritime environment that Ketchikan offers might not like it so well in the interior...for instance; they're completely different places.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:36 PM

19,868 posts, read 35,911,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not really. Things are pretty expensive in the San Juans. And you don't need an income of 2K X 4 per month in Alaska in order to live comfortably unless you've got some abnormal expenses or a huge family. There many ways to cut food costs in Alaska that aren't available to most lower 48 residents--I spend less money on food in Alaska than I do anywhere.

I think it's great that the OP has some sort of financial cushion that can allow her a bit more leeway in where she moves to.
I was responding to a poster who mentioned North Pole and Fairbanks area. My response to this poster was that at least in the interior of Alaska $2,000 won't go very far if one has children and pets for the following reasons:

a. Landlords don't want to rent to people with pets. The ones who do ask anywhere from $75.00 to $150.00 a month per pet in addition to the rent. In the Hotel North Pole, and only when they allow a pet in one of their rooms, the cost is $50.00 per day per pet. The average 2-bedroom apartment costs somewhere around $1,200 per month, plus utilities, usually electricity in apartment complexes.

b. If the OP wants to buy a house, she will need a lot more than $2,000 a month, not only to pay for the loan, but to pay for heating fuel and electricity, both of which are extremely expensive.

c. Living in the interior, specially outside of Fairbanks, requires a lot of driving to work, so the OP will need a very reliable automobile. Gasoline in North Pole costs $4.27 per gallon (regular unleaded), and diesel fuel around $4.61 per gallon.

d. Heating fuel at the moment costs a lot more than $4.00 per gallon. But lest say that it's around $3.62 and the OP needs to fill her 500-gallon tank two times during the winter (just the winter). This would cost $3,620 worth five-six months of fuel. Electricity would cost around $1,200 for the same amount of winter time, as long as she can be very conservative in relation to electricity use (CFL's and LED lighting, for example).

She may have skills she can use, but she has to get in front of a lot of people on the unemployment line who already live here and have the same skills she has. What is she going to do from the moment she arrives to Fairbanks and the time she gets a job?

But see, I don't know much about Fairbanks and vicinity. I have only lived here around 30 years, and see people struggling to survive. A lot of people on fixed incomes can't survive in this area and are leaving Alaska. Just listen to some of the local radio stations, for example, KFAR (660AM) at 3:00 PM.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-03-2012 at 07:03 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I was responding to a poster who mentioned North Pole and Fairbanks area. My response to this poster was that at least in the interior of Alaska $2,000 won't go very far if one has children and pets for the following reasons....

But see, I don't know much about Fairbanks and vicinity. I have only lived here around 30 years, and see people struggling to survive. A lot of people on fixed incomes can't survive in this area and are leaving Alaska. Just listen to some of the local radio stations, for example, KFAR (660AM) at 3:00 PM.
And I was responding to someone who was giving advice about SE Alaska without having any experience with it, where I've lived for over 30 years and where some of my family has lived for much longer than that.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-03-2012 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska