Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 05:42 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
You are not an Alaskan until you have at least ten things covered with blue tarps in your yard. You can get away with only 5 if the house has Tyvek showing.
Well if this is true then my father qualifies as an Alaskan even though he lives in Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 12:41 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Speaking of the TV shows............Alaska State Troopers sure doesn't cast Alaska in a favorable light.

Making arrests in trashy areas with mobile homes falling down and trash every where.

Drugs,drugs, drugs

Throw a dart at a map of the US and you'll hit a spot that has drug activity. It is rampant everywhere.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Throw a dart at a map of the US and you'll hit a spot that has drug activity. It is rampant everywhere.
Sad but true.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:13 PM

256 posts, read 452,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Speaking of the TV shows............Alaska State Troopers sure doesn't cast Alaska in a favorable light.

Making arrests in trashy areas with mobile homes falling down and trash every where.

Drugs,drugs, drugs
like others have states that is everywhere.

Also those shows are beyond stupid and would only watch for entertainment value. One summer a tourist asked me where we keep the animals at night.

They come up here with some notion / idea that they know what Alaska is really like. After arriving they realize it is nothing like portrayed on television.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:41 AM

205 posts, read 205,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Why do so many people want to move to Alaska that have never been there before?

Don't you think you might want to go and check it out before you start dreaming about moving up there? I don't get it.

Is it some idealized notion of what it's like?
I want to move to Alaska so that I will have an easier escape route to Russia by foot in case the airline grid is attacked...

Old 04-09-2017, 07:44 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Its the same. Drugs and not many jobs. Just much colder temps and a nicer view.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:39 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
^^^

The same old, same old everywhere in the country. The way my own state of Colorado is presented in the media hype bears no resemblance to actual reality around here. The only difference is that here it's legal to smoke pot to escape. Other that, it's still the same old place which suffers from a lack of decent paying jobs in rural areas and the ready availability of too many mind altering substances of which pot and alcohol are the least of it. I'm getting fed up with this current fad of escapism. I can play video games and live in a state of suspended denial for a few hours with the best of them, but I can't do it 24/7. I'm good for a lost weekend, but not for a lost life. Seems like our culture is currently endorsing the lost weekend view of things and that is causing quite a bit of harm to many these days.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:39 PM

125 posts, read 100,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Married1221 View Post
At the time that this happened..my son was 10 my daughter was 18. I had to be a mom. He would go to Alaska for work for the summer. So my kids were not out of the house. I do wish I went with but it was not possible at he time. He informed me he was divorcing me in an e-mail. And married her 1 day after our divorce was final.
We talk often. She cheated on him before they were married for 1 year, but he is still with her. He wants to stay living in Alaska. He has been working and has not had the chance to do the hunting, fishing etc. that the state has to offer. He isal ways working. He has also turned into a "house" husband as he does the dishes, the laundry, chops the wood etc. She makes more money than he does.
It's amazing some of the stories you read on here.

I realize this might be a zombie thread a couple times over, but I am always researching on here. Can really go down some rabbit holes at times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska