Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 AM

751 posts, read 1,482,694 times

Advertisements

Quote from Dakster:
Quote:
All of the other things holding you back are you - mainly psychological. (I admit an over-generalization - but you should be able to get the main idea)
I get the main idea, and you are so very right. There are indeed plenty of folks stuck, plenty choosing to be stationary, and a few who want a constant stream of change. My earlier statement that "folks who can pick up and move collect more ridicule than those who don't", should have been qualified by an amateur observation that those folks who don't pick up and move greatly outnumber those who choose to. It was unfair to have said it without the qualification. I have numerous friends who feel like they can't move for whatever reason, and stay in dead end jobs because of it. Some of those reasons are very good, some are excuses, but end result is the same. They feel trapped.

I stayed trapped for 17 years in a great job that I did not like, and took out my frustrations on moving all over the town I lived in. Just trying to find a way to change without ditching the job. At the end, I was still miserable.

Changed jobs, changed towns, and found it fit me real well. I am living in a small town now, and it is the best place I have ever lived. Working a job I only dreamed of 10 years ago, and feeling happy. I still want to have the ability to make a huge change, whether or not I actually do it. Dakster, you hit the nail on the head,
Quote:
One of the things that makes this country great is that you have the freedom to make your own choices on where to live.
Mollym13, you are so very right too!
quote:
Quote:
Aftere being in the Joplin Tornado...it made me realize that life can be cut very short in an instant and I don't want to leave this world without taking some risks.
While I have never had a horrid life changing event like this happen to me (and I am thankful for that), I know life is too short to put off adventure. Lots of places I want to see, lots of folks I want to get to know, and lots of different culture I want to soak up.

Quote:
Some people are impulsive and some are planners (like me)
The planning part for me, is at least half the fun. There is a part of me that likes to have a plan work right. Doing the planning extends the joy I can extract from a dream, the plan mostly working right (they never work ALL right) adds to the joy, and then the actual part of the move/new job/new friends is the end part of the fun.

All in all, I can't judge other folk's willingness to stay in place, just as I can't accept other's judging of my willingness to explore. I think it is quite possible that the "accepted norm" would be staying put, and my need to push my own boundaries does not fit that mold.

But then, no one has ever accused me of being part of the "accepted norm".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
Well Losttech... what I can tell by the personalities in Alaska... you'd fit right in... "accepted norm" is the exception ... I'm not the accepted norm either and want to experience life since we all come with an expiration date and want to get more adventure in before my date comes

Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
^^^^x2. It's easier to take a risk than to stay stuck.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Thanks, naturesdreams. While I am not "the accepted norm", I have never had a problem finding a place to fit in wherever I am at. There are folks everywhere I am, that don't care for me, and folks who for whatever reason DO care for me. Every place I have been, there have been folks I have cared for a great deal too.

All that is just flavors of life, to be enjoyed and savored. The main reason I would like to try life in Alaska is purely, 100% selfish though. Life in general I can find a way to live, but life surrounded by panoramic beauty is something I really want to try.

In it's own way there is plenty of beauty around me now, but I guess well over half a life time spent looking at it, it has lost it's unique feel.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:39 AM

370 posts, read 882,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
^^^^x2. It's easier to take a risk than to stay stuck.
EVerything is relative.

For some it is easier to stay stuck, for others easier to take a risk. I admire both categories who can do which is harder or more noble given the situation, (noble meaning that the reason is due to a commitment previously given or a duty that is the 'right' thing to do.)

Jen

Old 11-06-2011, 01:38 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Thanks, naturesdreams. While I am not "the accepted norm", I have never had a problem finding a place to fit in wherever I am at. There are folks everywhere I am, that don't care for me, and folks who for whatever reason DO care for me. Every place I have been, there have been folks I have cared for a great deal too.

All that is just flavors of life, to be enjoyed and savored. The main reason I would like to try life in Alaska is purely, 100% selfish though. Life in general I can find a way to live, but life surrounded by panoramic beauty is something I really want to try.

In it's own way there is plenty of beauty around me now, but I guess well over half a life time spent looking at it, it has lost it's unique feel.
We are on the page... I got "lucky" in the way that I got a great job with great benefits (one of which is a pension if I stick it out). It just won't let me move anywhere else. So I am "stuck" unless I want to start over, which I don't really want to do. I am close enough to retiring with benefits, that I might as well stick it out until that time comes.

If I had a dead end, low paying job I would be gone. Today that might mean a move to ND first.

MollyM and Naturesdreams are on the money too.

Part of the wanting to move somewhere else is what attracts me to this forum. At least I can enjoy living vicariously through all of you. I get real excited when I hear of someone being able to move to AK for the first time. (Gingerpeaches and Lunabell being the latest) Blueflames is almost there and I am rooting for her too! One day I will be able to move somewhere else.

At least I have had the good fortune of plenty of vacations and having family that live in different parts of country. (I am looking for one to move to the PAC NW so I can at least have all four corners of the US covered) So I get to explore when I visit! Sometimes it is great as I end up getting family to take a mini-vacation to see things in their own area.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
We are on the page... I got "lucky" in the way that I got a great job with great benefits (one of which is a pension if I stick it out). It just won't let me move anywhere else. So I am "stuck" unless I want to start over, which I don't really want to do. I am close enough to retiring with benefits, that I might as well stick it out until that time comes.

I was in the same boat too. Started my first "stay until retirement" job at 19. Bennies, retirement, etc. A great job, for a company I did not care for, and stayed for nearly 17 years. Was stuck and not able to go anywhere at all, for the rest of the time I worked for those guys. 10 years after I left there I am on my 3rd career, bennies, retirement, etc. again, but doing something totally different. Can move around with these guys, and just may stay until I retire with them, may not. Depends on what other opportunities present between now and then.

The freedom to move somewhere is something I never understood or even defined, until I quit that first good job. Leaving there was the right thing to do (for ME), and I am glad I did it. I still have numerous friends in that same job and same city. They all clap me on the back and congratulate me when we see each other, and express a desire to do the same themselves. But they don't do it. I was miserable, and did not know why.

I do now, and it took me well over 1/2 of my life to figure it out. I don't know if I will ever move to AK, but if I can make a major move (not another little move inside the state of Tx), AK is #1 on my list. Don't know what tomorrow brings, but I do know I have spent most of my life, and will continue to do so, working to get more knowledge/experience/opportunity than what I have now.

And I continue to dream of the beauty of Alaska.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:06 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonarts View Post
I just was poking fun of how some people think that pepper spray is actually a viable defense against a bear attack. Maybe they should look at some photos of someone who has been killed by a brown bear before they think about jogging alone in an area where there could possibly be bears. Even black bears who typically don't have the same reputation for crushing skulls can still kill a human being. The first rule of going to a wilderness area is: Don't go if you don't know what you need to know about the area to survive. The second rule is: Remember that you are part of the food chain, and not necessarily at the top anymore!

If one has done all that they can to discourage bears from becoming a threat and if they truly feel threatened ie the bear is killing livestock, tearing up buildings, trying to pop the head off of you or a loved one, then it is truly defense of life or property to kill the animal.

That is an example of people who should be living somewhere else. maybe some manufactured island devoid of all life except other idiots like themselves. We still have people down here putting their trash out to the curb in just bags, and wondering why it gets strewn all over the street by a raccoon, house cat, or dog. I am very sorry to hear that you have the same genetic stock of idiots in Alaska as I have down here in Pennsylvania. People without honor or respect.
Since thoes manufactured islands dont exist, that is why the fish and game will do what they can to prosecute "self defense" kills to the fullest extent of the law. I personally do not believe that certian peoples lives are above the bears and if they shoot one because it was digging in their trash it should carry jail time of up to 6 months to a year and 10-20 grand in fines, maybe then when you get out of jail and are broke for a few years and loose your house you will learn to clean up your trash.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:24 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Since thoes manufactured islands dont exist, that is why the fish and game will do what they can to prosecute "self defense" kills to the fullest extent of the law. I personally do not believe that certian peoples lives are above the bears and if they shoot one because it was digging in their trash it should carry jail time of up to 6 months to a year and 10-20 grand in fines, maybe then when you get out of jail and are broke for a few years and loose your house you will learn to clean up your trash.
You could start with fining people who do not clean up their trash and/or do not lock trash cans up. Call it wildlife endangerment.

That way you can prevent the needless slaying of bears.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:57 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
You could start with fining people who do not clean up their trash and/or do not lock trash cans up. Call it wildlife endangerment.

That way you can prevent the needless slaying of bears.
But the problem with that is a fine for not cleaning up your trash will be at most 1000$, which is a small chunk of money. But keep in mind most of the people this happens to are hill side yuppies so 1000$ is pocket change plus the odds of being caught not picking up your trash is nill so that will not do anything.

When the consequences are so severe that they will loose their upper hill side home and thrown in the slammer for a non trivial amount of time with a criminal record that will make it near impossible for them to regain their posh cake walk job they will think twice about squeezing the trigger.

I have heard of people fishing kings in closed rivers and getting hit with 10k in fines and 6 months in jail, that sort of consequence will hurt a yuppie walking out with his burkenstocks and 8 thousand dollar rifle to shoot a bear in "self defense" that is digging in his trash. At the very least the criminal record will keep him from getting his job back and his house to go into forclosure.

If you want to modify behavior the consequences need to be severe. I think they need to up the anti in wreckless driving as well but thats another discussion, because its relativly difficult to catch someone wreckless driving they need to have 5k fines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska