Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:35 PM

14 posts, read 68,179 times

Advertisements

Ive been considering going out to Alaska and going out into the wilderness for a couple weeks. Exactly, how feasible is this and what would I need to do to go about this. It probaly wouldnt be till next summer, as I want to plan a big trip to Alaska, going into Anchorage and Denali as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
It's easy enough. You can hike out into the Chugach, or have a plane drop you where you want to go. Arrange for a pickup from the air service, and they come back and fly you back to civilization for a nice evening dinner.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
Getting to the wilderness isn't that hard, it's getting back that can become and issue.

I would suggest contacting a guide in the area you want to visit, or there are some nature or eco tours also. Try the State of Alaska home page or Alaska land by BLM They should get you in the general direction.
BLM and the state have cabins for rent accross the state, but normally there is a 5 consecutive day stay max limit.

I would strongly recomend against just wandering into the woods. Like airplanes that have flight plans, on the rivers you can set up a float plan with someone you trust, including location area and how long your going to be gone, etc. The State troopers site has forms like this available for download. Make a plan and stick to it.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:24 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
Amen Thaw!!

Should have made that clear in my post. The thing about setting up a pick up, is that someone will know that you have not made your schedule, and can at least report your status.

"You must spread some reputation around before ...."

Old 09-14-2007, 08:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Thumbs up Be Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Getting to the wilderness isn't that hard, it's getting back that can become and issue.

I would suggest contacting a guide in the area you want to visit, or there are some nature or eco tours also. Try the State of Alaska home page or Alaska land by BLM They should get you in the general direction.
BLM and the state have cabins for rent accross the state, but normally there is a 5 consecutive day stay max limit.

I would strongly recomend against just wandering into the woods. Like airplanes that have flight plans, on the rivers you can set up a float plan with someone you trust, including location area and how long your going to be gone, etc. The State troopers site has forms like this available for download. Make a plan and stick to it.
Excellent advice! I would also advise being armed for bear. It is always better to have a weapon and not need it, than to need a weapon and not have it. Also maintain a "clean" camp. By that I mean do not cook and eat your food in the same place you plan on sleeping. Hang your food between two trees at least 15 feet above the ground when you aren't using it. You should also pack in a couple days of extra food for two reasons: 1) You will be hungrier than you expected after spending hours hiking around in the bush; and 2) Your transportation may not arrive to pick you up at the scheduled time.

Last edited by Glitch; 09-14-2007 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Most people that have never been to Alaska don't really know what it means to be in the "bush". It is a great feeling.

You might want to contact Sourdough Outfitters in Bettles. They can outfit you for a camping trip to the Brooks Range...that would be a great trip.

You would likely see bears, and you should be prepared for them. But I grew up in the bush and camped there a lot. I have never been chewed on and never had to shoot one in defense. I have been a little concerned a few times.

Last edited by Marty Van Diest; 09-14-2007 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-14-2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks, that would be really cool to go to the brooks range. What would the weather be like during the summer.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:01 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Usually in mid summer...July...it is pretty warm. Of course, the higher in the mountains you go, the cooler it can be. By warm I mean 60-70 degrees. You can have exceptionally warm days in the 80s and even 90s.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:51 PM

Is this area(Brooks Range/Gates NP mostly tundra, or is there woodlands as well.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
You would likely see bears, and you should be prepared for them. But I grew up in the bush and camped there a lot. I have never been chewed on and never had to shoot one in defense. I have been a little concerned a few times.
I've been hiking all over Alaska for the last 16 years and have seen lots of bears, from a safe distance. I also have never been chewed upon (although I did lose a backpack once to a bear that contained two freshly caught Silvers, fortunately I wasn't wearing it at the time) or had to shoot any in self-defense, and I hope I never will, but I still carry a 12-guage shotgun loaded with slugs just in case, even when I go on one-day fishing trips.

The most important thing to remember is to camp "bear safe" and you are far less likely to have a problem. You really can't blame the bear for checking out the wonderful smells of your campfire cooking. Bears would prefer not to encounter humans, just as humans prefer not to encounter bears (at least by surprise). So keep food out of your sleeping tent, hang your food when not in use, keep those pots/pans and dishes clean, and you should have a safe and enjoyable bush experience.

I'm actually more concerned about moose than bear when I'm hiking alone in the bush. Bears, when not taken by surprise or with young, will usually leave you alone unless they feel you are encroaching on their territory (or they want your salmon). Moose, on the otherhand, are far more irrational. You can usually get a good sense how a bear will react in a given situation, but with moose there is no telling what they might do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska