Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 PM

35 posts, read 328,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightphoenix View Post
Do Alaskans feel like they alone have rights to the land? [?quote]

No, but they certainly appreciate what they have and are leary of those who may have alterior motives.

Quote:
Do they resent tourists and outsiders for coming there?
Not at all. But why do so many have to be so dang stupid?

Quote:
Do they view newcomers as "prey" of sorts....people they can "rip off" because they aren't from Alaska..."
No, this ain't Miami or some other latin dominated culture.

Quote:
How do Alaskans view the land? Do they care for it, or do they see it as simply a "resource" and a way to make money?
Yes and Yes. The Land as a resource has brought great prosperity to the state. So this will largley depend on who you are dealing with.

Quote:
Do Alaskans ignore laws just because they can? Even if its at the expense of other people?
Given the size and remoteness of the state, yeah, lots of laws are ignored..Mary Jo Wanna growing in the valley for example...So if it is at the expense of others, it is not intentional, as everyone wants to just be left the "f" alone. Do onto others as you would have them do onto you!!!

Quote:
Are Alaskans friendly or rude? Do they feel "superior" because they're from Alaska and a newcomer isn't?
Few are "from" Alaska. However, there is definately a superior attitude amongst folks...but it tends to come from the fact that they are NOT from Alaska...and this is not to say that the newcomer is the one with the attitude simply because they are new to the state. If you look at the U.S. as a whole...In the East, it tends to be about "we're all in this together". As you move West, it becomes more and more about the individual. Alaska is no exception to this. As much as newcomers want to be embraced and part of the Alaska experience, people still want to stick out as well, be unique, different...this is the West after all and it is all about ME.. SOOOooooo, voila... as much as the newcomer embraces their new found Alaskan heritage they are careful to retain their heritage from where they may have come from...as that is what now distinguishes them from the rest of the "Alaskans". So that is where the "superior" attitude comes in to play. There is a lot of it...many on this board will most likely deny it, but nonetheless, it is there. There tends to be less noticeable socioeconomic differences...so when everyone THINKS they potentially could be equal to everyone else..in a bid to retain individuality its easy for everyone to think they are better....than everyone else. Throw in being in a perceived "unique" place, lots of people looking for the ends of the earth cause they dont fit in where they are from...and voila...everyone is special and therefore SUPERIOR!!!

Quote:
....And I know Alaska is a big place, and every region is different...(as it was in this other state too)....I'm mainly think of the Interior, Fairbanks etc...however would be interested in thoughts about all regions.
Everything I have written above is based on my experience growing up in Anchorage... Afterall, living in Anchorage, We are so much better than those weirdos in Squarebanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 11:44 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Squarebanks... haha. What a dork. Fairbanks rocks so much harder than Anchorage, it's not even funny.
Good lesson, though. Alaskans hate self-righteous people.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:53 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Xa'at!!!!! I love Anchorage. I like Fairbanks. I'd rather be here sweetie. Honest to God. LOL

Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 AM

Honest to god, I would have no idea. I've never been to either.

See what I was saying about self-righteous people, though? Look how long it took Mal to seek out my post...

I apologize if I have offended anyone. Anchorage rocks. Fairbanks rocks. Juneau rocks. Adak rocks. Everything rocks. Except that dude who spammed //www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ttle-help.html.

Xa'at

Old 09-25-2007, 12:12 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post

Honest to god, I would have no idea. I've never been to either.

See what I was saying about self-righteous people, though? Look how long it took Mal to seek out my post...

I apologize if I have offended anyone. Anchorage rocks. Fairbanks rocks. Juneau rocks. Adak rocks. Everything rocks. Except that dude who spammed //www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ttle-help.html.

Xa'at
Me thinks someone is stirring the pot of trouble.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:16 AM

What, I'm not allowed to say that spammers don't rock? Sheesh, rough room!

I'm tired, and I'm not all that sure what I am typing. I will probably read this in the morning and say "what the - was I even thinking?"
Life's like that, right?

Xa'at out

Old 09-25-2007, 12:24 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
What, I'm not allowed to say that spammers don't rock? Sheesh, rough room!

I'm tired, and I'm not all that sure what I am typing. I will probably read this in the morning and say "what the - was I even thinking?"
Life's like that, right?

Xa'at out
I was more refering to Mal.

The spammer gets all he deserves. Like booted!

One day I would like to hear what your name means....

Good night. I'm out too.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 AM

95 posts, read 351,696 times
Default how Alaskans are....

friendly!

We just got back from a visit to Anchorage and the Kenai peninsula. We're kinda friendly people ourselves, husband can talk to a stump, so we had no trouble getting folks to chat with us.

great experiences especially in the saloons, the grocery store, and at REI in Anchorage (lots of help finding what we were looking for).

In fact, I was so embarrassed - I dashed in to Fred Meyers to buy a bottle of wine, and had a jumble of one-dollar bills in my pocket, no purse or cards, and came up about 70 cents short to pay for my purchase. I was going to go grab a cheaper bottle and a guy behind me was so nice to offer up a buck and said "just give me a toast and enjoy it". I thought that was very nice, you don't find folks like that everywhere.

At the B&B in Homer, the owner left a note on the door to "just make ourselves at home, they had run to eat dinner and would catch us later" - and they were so nice and friendly when we finally did meet them.

The coach driver on our trip to Whitter/glacier cruise was great - he even took a guy by the airport on our way back into Anchorage so he wouldn't have to waste time calling a cab after getting into town; then he drove the bus by Earthquake Park and gave some commentary on that event on the way back to the drop-off spot at the hotel. It didn't take maybe 5 minutes extra but it was a very nice thing to do.

When we were at Flat Top, several people offered their binoculars to see the mooses out grazing. That was amazingly nice - and there were a couple who were locals that were very glad to tell us all about finding moose in Anchorage (and their best moose tales) when they found out we were tourists.

Our experiences were all good - so I would think most other people would have the same kind of experience, as long as you are friendly and considerate to begin with.

Jeri

Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Most of us Alaskans treat people how we want to be treated. Just don't drive your RV 35mph on the highway and use pullouts, you'll be fine.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:55 AM

What the - was I even thinking?

I enjoyed reading your story, Jeri. Glad you had a great vacation!

Arcticthaw, my name means "Salmon" in Tlingit, because I love Salmon, and Tlingit. It's my minor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska