Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times

Advertisements

I am taking it that you are in Anchorage?

First of all, go to Alaska Housing; you are homeless, they will put you at the top of the list. Ask them for information about the cell phones for $1 a month and where you can obtain one. They are for the homeless to aid them in finding jobs.

Alaska Housing Finance Corporation (AHFC) - HUD

Second, go the Public Assistance office to see what they can do for you as far as shelter and food.

State of Alaska | DPA

Third, go to Lutheran Social Services. Explain your situation and see if they can put you up in a motel for a night or two. Do not mention the dog. They also have a food bank. Ask them if you can have a gasoline voucher to put gas in your truck as you are looking for employment. They do have housing for men with the stipulation that you find employment in a certain amount of time, however, they won't let you take the dog there.

Home

You've got to get a roof over your head and the dog's to get off the street, and to hopefully save your truck. Call the lien holder and explain your situation; ask for assistance in order for you to keep the truck.

Once you have found shelter and food, hit the streets and take any job you can regardless if it only pays $7 an hour; that's better then nothing an hour. I've worked assisting the homeless and as I said you have to get off the streets before your money runs out. Best of luck.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
You can't find a dish washing job or anything? I've had to lower m7y standards on more than one occasion as far as work. I'm not too proud. 9 or 10 bucks an hour is way better than spending 9 or 10 bucks a day and no way to replenish it.
The problem here is that even for dishwashing jobs et al, the competition is such that employers are most likely to go with those who have telephone numbers or are otherwise easy to contact. Yeah Rance, we all know the saga of how you chopped firewood for a winter to get by but you did so while having a home base. This guy doesn't have that.

To the poster...if you're still around in the spring look me up, DM me...wish I could offer more.

You might want to google Chena Hot Springs and fill out an online app for winter work. I know they offer housing for employees. Best of luck to you..

Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 AM

879 posts, read 1,731,451 times
I think this post highlights how difficult these times are for people. I'm unemployed as well, and since I was self employed I get no unemployment check. It's very difficult to find a job right now, period, and even harder to find a decent employer who's paying well. I've looked at rents in AK, and aside from being way out in BFE, I don't see how to make it without multiple incomes in a household. It's easy to see how people just give up.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I think this post highlights how difficult these times are for people. I'm unemployed as well, and since I was self employed I get no unemployment check. It's very difficult to find a job right now, period, and even harder to find a decent employer who's paying well. I've looked at rents in AK, and aside from being way out in BFE, I don't see how to make it without multiple incomes in a household. It's easy to see how people just give up.

Exactly. They lose all hope and it's hard to pull out of that, which is why it's so important to get assistance of some kind of shelter/housing/food to have a home base to seek employment.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The problem here is that even for dishwashing jobs et al, the competition is such that employers are most likely to go with those who have telephone numbers or are otherwise easy to contact. Yeah Rance, we all know the saga of how you chopped firewood for a winter to get by but you did so while having a home base. This guy doesn't have that.

To the poster...if you're still around in the spring look me up, DM me...wish I could offer more.

You might want to google Chena Hot Springs and fill out an online app for winter work. I know they offer housing for employees. Best of luck to you..
I know one thing...I sure as hell didn't have no internet. Funny how a guy living in a truck has internet.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 AM

129 posts, read 535,451 times
In Fairbanks, jobs are plenty, but without a place to live, or transportation, that doesn't really matter. How do you get a house if you can't get a job? But now with this new housing development going up for homeless, I am thinking it will change big time. It has been really successful everywhere else, so hopefully it will really help some people.

A lot of homelessness has to do with mental illness and addiction here as well- booze is often cheaper than food, no joke!

I too am unemployed now, partly by choice, but it does make things harder. One thing that is possible here that isn't elsewhere is subsistence living. I know MANY people that came here with a backpack, and are now in the woods (not even that far from town!) making a living off a few odd jobs, growing and hunting their food, and cycling to get around all winter. It's not for everyone, but it's still pretty sweet!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I know one thing...I sure as hell didn't have no internet. Funny how a guy living in a truck has internet.
One explanation.......drive around with the laptop plugged into the cig lighter/power outlet and find an open wireless internet connection and use it....becoming real common now a days that the one expensive item that a homeless person defends with their life is their laptop and for this reason....it is their contact/lifeline to family and friends. A free connection can be found easily and with free plug in available at coffee places etc they can recharge the battery while plugged in.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
An iTouch can be used over wifi also. You can find free signals everywhere. A few years back, before Internet phones, we road warriors knew all the tricks to finding a signal. Pull under most hotel porticos and you will find wireless. Most of them were open, but even the secure ones used the default passwords. Internet is not hard to find if you have the hardware.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
An iTouch can be used over wifi also. You can find free signals everywhere. A few years back, before Internet phones, we road warriors knew all the tricks to finding a signal. Pull under most hotel porticos and you will find wireless. Most of them were open, but even the secure ones used the default passwords. Internet is not hard to find if you have the hardware.
oh that's right!! I forget about the small gadgets as I don't own one as of yet!! Borrowed a friend BlackBerry and got internet, emails etc the whole trip...just didn't like the tiny tiny keypad!! yes the poster could have one of these instead of a laptop.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
My issue is that if someone is down and out, a fifty dollar a month cell phone plus the interent costs are a bit odd for someone who needs the money. That is a lot of food down the rat hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska