Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times

Advertisements

Well I am famous for putting my foot in my mouth!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
I haven't had time to read all 10 past pages completely, but has anyone mentioned that a lot of services want to know what you made on your LAST tax return?
Someone who has been umemployed for 9 months, ends up on the street, but thier last tax return says 68,000 gross a year, could very well be SOL.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:39 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
Here's a thought.......

Uprooting without roots - Juneau Empire

Old 12-08-2009, 07:17 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
Very true, skilled professionals can become homeless and the jobs they are looking for is not day labor for drunks who are drying out yet they are treated that way. They are skilled professionals and are likely looking for skilled professional jobs not day labor yet there are no services to get these people back on there feet and returned to an income level they had before.

At that point the professional will need to come down "off their high horse" and do what they have to do in order to survive for themselve and/or their families. Times are tough and someone who truly wants to help themselves will take what they can get and there are agencies that can help with food and there are foodbanks.

A day labor job is better then no job at all with no money coming in. I would bet the day labor lines now have plenty of people who are not alcoholics. And if an alcoholic is trying to dry out that's a good thing, and unless that alcoholic/drug addict....and the skilled professional are truly obnoxious, they "both" deserve to be treated with respect. Because someone is or was a skilled professional there is no reason to look down upon anyone else.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:26 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
This has been an interesting and educational read, but has anyone noticed we haven't heard from Hbud since his initial post? Was he a Trol? If so, I thank him/her for the post because I have learned a lot from the many entries.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Obviously some expect others to do the 'work' to restore their income...guess degrees don't teach common sense, ambition to do for yourself and family even if you don't feel the job is worthy just to get by for a short time until something better comes along...Yeah..it's much easier to whine about how employers are selfish, drivers are rude, beer costs too much..someone will bail you out for sure
Having children costs money too. Can you believe this guy is asking on another forum whether he can get a restraining order against his toddler child because he doesn't want to pay child support as well as asking for advice on how to commit felonies?

He claims he makes forty bucks an hour which isn't a terrible wage these days and yet he's sniveling the blues ad nauseum about the cost of hooch et al.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
My last post should have read: the disparity between median incomes and median home prices...

I enjoyed your post arctichomesteader. It sheds light on the rot that is destroying this country. Greed has driven the cost of shelter through the roof. Many of those who already own property rejoice at high prices, until they open their tax bill. High housing prices are good for nobody except for the top 1%. I've decided I want to buy an inexpensive piece of land and build a tiny cabin which they can't tax to death.
That's what I decided too. My land has no taxes on it, near Manley Hot Springs.

But getting up there well prepared and with enough money is proving to be quite the challenge...

Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

But getting up there well prepared and with enough money is proving to be quite the challenge...

As it should be, if it was easy, the place would be covered with wall to wall people doing the same thing. The "simple life" is a lot of hard work, which is overlooked by most that dream of going off into the wilderness somewhere and live of the land.

Most can't grasp the simple task of flipping a light switch and having light. In the "Bush", you have to haul the oil for the lamp, or gas for the generator for miles in some cases by snowmachine or boat.

Anyway, that is a whole different thread....

Old 12-09-2009, 03:55 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

I went out to Manley this past fall for the first time. We put the boat in the Tanana there. Manley is a LONG ways away. It is about a 6 hour drive from here to Fairbanks and it was another 6 hours to Manley.

I enjoyed the trip but I'm not sure I will do it again. Still, I might. There was a river I wanted to explore and didn't get the chance to, I might want to go back.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I went out to Manley this past fall for the first time. We put the boat in the Tanana there. Manley is a LONG ways away. It is about a 6 hour drive from here to Fairbanks and it was another 6 hours to Manley.

I enjoyed the trip but I'm not sure I will do it again. Still, I might. There was a river I wanted to explore and didn't get the chance to, I might want to go back.
whewww... arctichomesteader when you said the land you bought was out in the bushyou weren't kidding!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska