Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:50 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times

Advertisements

We were driving Out the Road in Juneau last night, and on the way home saw a black face sitting in the long grass along the side of the road. We thought that it was a dog at first, but realized as we drove by that it was a bear.

It was a young bear, and he was eating grass very fast - hungry little fella. We turned around, drove slowly back, parked a little ways from him on the opposite side of the road from him so we didn't scare him and watched him for a while. He got scared back into the woods when a car with a noisy muffler drove by.

We went up the road, turned around, waited for a few minutes and then slowly drove back the way we had come and sure enough he was back sitting in the grass again, eating away.

We watched him for a few more minutes until two crotch rockets blasted by and scared him back into the woods again. We turned around again, waited again and he came out one more time. After another couple of minutes he ran into the woods. We slowly drove by and watched him for a minute before he disappeared alone, into the forest.

Although we watched him for quite a while we also kept an eye out for a mother, and never did see one. He was just a little guy - maybe a few months old. A few pictures:

Living The Juneau Adventure: Bear Sighting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:21 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times

YouTube - The Sneezing Baby Panda

YouTube - Sneezing bear cub can't stop sneezing

Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
What a cutie, Juneau! I have not seen a bear yet, and I've been back in Alaska since 2005. What's up with that!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:09 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
how auspicious that you and mountain boy are together to see such a wonderful sight!!! sure hope the little guy is not an orphan...he probably won't make it long if he is.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:14 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
I'd guess the bear is between 1 and 2 years old. Black bears don't get that big and it's around the time the cubs would be forced away by their mothers. He looks to be about the size my GSD rolled with last summer (we're certain he thought he was chasing another dog).

Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I'd guess the bear is between 1 and 2 years old. Black bears don't get that big and it's around the time the cubs would be forced away by their mothers. He looks to be about the size my GSD rolled with last summer (we're certain he thought he was chasing another dog).
Yup you're right. We stopped at a Fish and Game Office and the guy in there lives close to where we are. He saw the same bear last night while driving around and said he was about a year old, so I guess we don't have to worry about a little orphan. Cute as hell stuffing grass in his mouth.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
What a cutie, Juneau! I have not seen a bear yet, and I've been back in Alaska since 2005. What's up with that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame50
how auspicious that you and mountain boy are together to see such a wonderful sight!!!
We were both very lucky to see this little guy. SE Alaska in the summertime is an awesome place - have seen quite a few whales over the past few days, a lot of eagles, otters, and an otter and eagle fighting briefly over a fish in the water. It's been a busy nature-few-days!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,446 times
The first time i saw a bear, our family was driving on the Alaska Highway in canada, but closer to Alaska. The two black bears ran out of the forest and were about to cross the road. My dad stopped the car on the shoulder and went out of the car. He wanted to try to catch one, which was a very silly thing to do. But my little 4 year old brother, who was looking foreward to his first bear sighting, got so freaked out. He covered his head with a blanket and started to cry and asking my dad to go home. It was so funny.
But the bears all ran back onto the woods.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,446 times
Also, i've seen black bears other times. For instance, when i lived in alaska the bear came right into the city. It was very unusual for me. But cool too. But i havent ever seen a brown, or Kodiak bear. BUt i wish i could do that sometimes.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:44 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
rule number one...don't try to catch a bear. Sounds like things were OK.

Even a black bear mama will be mighty upset if you catch their baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska