Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 12:27 PM

21 posts, read 65,526 times

Advertisements

Super Mom,

You are going to live your dream for yourself. Living in a small town (bush Alaska) made me love Alaska more. With all your planning and preparation, you will do just fine. Like Rance said, the hell with everyone else who dimed you out. Although Fairbanks is a bigger town, spending two weeks out at a time in the boonies by myself became my sanity adjustments. Stay the course, you'll be alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 12:59 PM

5,459 posts, read 12,187,830 times
Wow,

You are going to be fine...just fine. It isn't like you haven't thought this out, through, and have prepared for it. You have been realistic about it and are not arriving with any preconceived notions. You are open to gaining info and acclimating yourself to the ways of the land and the locals. That's more than you can say for most people. You are practical and gutsy.

People who don't understand what you're doing or who aren't supportive will never "get it." They'll never know the absolute beauty of rolling up their sleeves and really doing a day's work you can be proud of. They won't understand friendships that are built around a common thread that encompasses the love of your way of life. They won't understand loyalty to your neighbors and not supporting the disposable and consumptive attitude of our society. And...they won't "get" the sound of silence, the awesomeness of the natural beauty around you that makes you feel about the size of a pin's head, and the thrill of silent snow, the crackling of the northern lights....nah...they won't get any of that. And you know what? You'll be richer for it and they'll still be who they are....

God's speed to you!!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:54 PM

639 posts, read 1,905,403 times
What wonderful and well spoken words Cobolt. And you are right there are things that we want our kids to experience like being part of a big picture,meaning they would be doing things to help the family operate like chop wood or hoe the garden. I want them to learn to do things not always the easiest way and to be able to provide for themselves if they ever find themselves in a situation where they would need to. And while they already enjoy the outdoors and nature I want them to see just how lazy we are and to learn to go outside and do things and have adventures.
Ah to sit back and watch the snow fall or to not hear the constant boom,boom,boom of the neighborhood guys radios. And to get out and grow a garden and then to sit back and enjoy a meal of fresh foods. Yeah we could have a garden here but it is a constant fight to keep the fire ants out of it,and with the water use bans and the 110 temps no one wants to.
I think one of the top 10 on my to do list is to go sit in the hot springs somewhere and just think.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 PM

5,459 posts, read 12,187,830 times
MM,

You already know that your quality of life isn't defined by "stuff" but rather by experiences.

I've been following this thread and your posts. You have my total respect, admiration, and wishes. I know you and your family will benefit from this. I can't wait to hear about it.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 PM

Given the fact that there is a risk that a 8yr old misdimenor might keep my husband from driving through Canada with us we booked a flight for him a long time ago. He would be flying into Fairbanks and if I were to get delayed for some reason is there things that he could do either in the airport or very close to it?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:15 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times
Does the airport have wifi?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:34 PM

I dont know. I was hoping maybe someone would know about the airport and what maybe around it.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,641,516 times
I think Anch Airport does.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:55 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times
Here's a link for the airport.

Fairbanks International Airport, Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska

There seem to be a few bars & a strip club nearby...

Old 02-24-2008, 07:32 PM

7 posts, read 19,848 times
MILEPOST! Get a copy of the milepost. Its a guide to the roads to and in Alaska and more than that its a great reference once you are there to place to go and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska