Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,400 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. This is the first time posting here. I just got hired at the Tuzzy Library in Barrow. I am in need of some tips, and leads, and advice on getting a house. I have no children, am married, and have 2 cats. I grew up in interior Alaska, so am used to the cold and dark. My budget isn't all that much. I will make only 23.50 an hr, which isn't all that much by Barrow standards. In a few months my wife will come up and help with housing costs.

In short, if anyone living in Barrow knows of a 1 or 2 bedroom house being rented or sold, I'd love to know. I have a fair bit of loan debt, so can't afford over 1500 a month. 1200 would be ideal.

I've done research on food, as well as how I will likely get around. (By foot, bicycle, and pub transportation) as much as possible. My wife and I will eventually get a 4 wheeler and a snowmachine. We do not yet know if we will just sell our Honda fit and get something more 4 wheel drive ish.

So if you have any ideas please I would love to hear them.

As a last bit, I'd be happy to rent a room until August, until my wife gets up north. She works in a mine, so will be flying in and out.

Thank you so much for any help.

Sincerely,
Jason Russell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 11:54 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Network with your new co-workers. Most Barrow housing rentals advertised by word-of-mouth. There are a couple of posters on the forum that live in Barrow so hopefully they will chime in. It's a hard place to find housing in.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:46 PM

206 posts, read 513,822 times

Well i am not one to enjoy being the bearer of bad news, but as of now, Barrow has a huge housing shortage.

IF you had not already taken a position i would have told you to not bother if housing is not included. I would strongly suggest you chat at length with your employer, and explain how you actually need housing to be able to work for them. Either they provide it as part of your employment, or locate someone through there network willing to accommodate you.

I do know from personal contacts here in Barrow that the High School was looking for a new head Librarian, i am just not sure if that position provides housing like other teaching positions do. The previous Librarian refused to interact with the students, and managed to break 1 copy machine and some other really expensive piece of equipment.

I hate to say it though your gonna be hard pressed to find housing in Barrow, there are some summer vacancies that happen when the majority of teachers move away for the summer, they sublet out to some of the science teams.

Also, 1500.00 is kind of too low for any rental up here, let alone the other costs of living, heating, electricity, water, sewer (OR waste disposal truck), Cable, internet, phone, and the worst... Food.

Truly your best bet is to get a job here in Barrow that provides housing of some sort, i am really not sure how you can manage without prior planning for it to be provided.

If you really got your heart set on Barrow i am sure you can find a way, but your best option is too look into the High School Librarian position and pray it has housing included in some form.

Best of luck.

I check this forum once a week, so if you have other questions it might be a bit before i reply.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:12 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
People in Barrow are desperate for housing. North Slope employees like police officers are crashing on couches unless they've been there awile.

1200-1500 isn't going to happen. The only reason I went is because the hospital provided housing to me.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:52 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
I was looking at Barrow and I was lucky to have a job that offered housing. Ended up choosing a different hub that didn't provide housing. Luckily word of mouth worked. i found a place to live through a network of new co-workers.

Good luck on the job search. I believe that the HS librarian position would include housing as long as that position was included in the bargaining unit.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:45 PM

206 posts, read 513,822 times
Quick update... The position at the high school was filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: