Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 03:12 AM

35 posts, read 88,569 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all the good advice, our dream of moving to Alaska is shaping up nicely. We have already had a couple of inquiries from perspective employers!

We want to research our expenses...don't want to be surprised later.
I want to figure out exactly what we will be needing in the way of clothing. I have read many times that good raingear is needed...what is "good". Can someone suggest a brand name?

How about boots? Coats? My husband will more than likely be working in wet conditions, so the right boots and clothing is essential. I probably won't be working in wet conditions, but I will still need a good pair of boots and coat.

I have read that it may be best to get our gear there, just to be sure to get the right stuff, but I would like to see if it is available online and get a sense of how much we will need to spend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 05:12 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Check this link out to get your started on the rain gear.

For boots, you can get two pairs of extra tuffs. One insulated and one not insulated. There are other similar boots you can shop for.

Of course, this is only for summer. You won't need it when it's -40 degrees.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Lightbulb Buying clothing for Alaska

A lot of people suggest waiting until you get to Alaska before buying clothes. They have a good point, because you won't have to pack the extra clothes when you move. However, considering the higher prices here and extra shipping costs for on-line orders, it may be worth the hassle of buying your clothes in the lower-48 and moving it up.

If you are moving to southcentral Alaska in the late-spring or summer, then be prepared for 50°F to 70°F temperatures. If you are moving more than 100 miles from the coast into interior Alaska, add another 10°F to that temperature range. What Alaskan's call "rain", lower-48ers call "drizzle". It doesn't rain much, but in July, August, and September it does drizzle a lot. We still get quite a few sunny days.

Winter temperatures in southcentral Alaska, along the coast, are typically in the 15°F to 30°F range, but it does drop below 0°F and can reach -20°F for a few days at a time. Subtract another -20°F if you are planing on living in the Fairbanks area.

The Anchorage area averages 69.5" of snow annually, but we have gotten as little as 12" and as much as 130" in a winter. Fairbanks averages about the same snowfall (70.1"). Typically there is 36" or less snow on the ground at one time in any given winter.

The biggest problem new-comers have with Alaskan winters isn't the cold or the snow, but rather the lack of daylight. Add a couple extra floor lamps around the house and maintain a strict schedule for the time you go to bed each night and you should be okay. It is also important to get outside once in a while during the winter. If you stay cooped up in the house all winter you will end up with "cabin fever" by spring. Anchorage will get as little as 3.5 hours of daylight by Winter Solstice, and Fairbanks will get slightly less.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:33 AM

35 posts, read 88,569 times
Thanks for the info. We are trying to make a budget, and I just wanted to be sure I did a little research first. I'm happy to see that boots and raingear will not be all that costly.

I guess i thought I would need an expensive parka or something. Seems that will depend on where we end up. Hubby had a bite on his resume in Cordova and has a contact in Soldotna... if it turns out to be Cordova, the weather there is just a bit colder than Seattle. I lived there in the 80's, so I have a good idea of what to expect.

Any other comments are or ideas are appreciated!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
I get by fine all winter in south central Alaska with just an insulated Carhartt coat and gloves. If you are moving up from a much warmer climate it may take one or two years before you get acclimated. Soldotna winters are similar to the winters in Anchorage that I mentioned above, maybe a couple degrees warmer and slightly wetter during the summer, but not a noticable difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska