Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:52 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of black spruce on my land that I've been cutting down. When I get to a big tree that I consider a "monster" black spruce it's about 6-8 inches in diameter and that's at the base. Many more trees at 4 inch diameter or less. It is very dense and messy to cut up. I wouldn't want to build a cabin out of it. It does burn quite nicely, but is ALOT of work for relatively not that much firewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 12:33 AM

406 posts, read 755,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful move View Post
I ended up going with lot 14 sect.9, any idea what kind of woods up there or if it's good enough for a cabin.off grid of course. I'll make due with whatever's there.and thank you very much for your info. I really appreciate it.
Doesn't sound you know which lot you have? It is Bock first, then Lot number. Both the lots that you have listed have Big birch and Cotton Wood, Spruce. I was just there clearing the right of way trail on Tolovana loop.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksheep View Post
I'm considering bidding on a lot on the north side of Deadman Lake(West of Fairbanks) I can't go there on such short notice to check it out but for the price I don't think I could go wrong unless it's a swamp? It would likely just be an occasional vacation destination and long term investment property.
From what i've read the best way to get to it is by float plane or snow mobile in the winter but I don't plan on going there in the winter. I have a few questions for people in the know..
Can you get to the lake using a 4 wheeler in the summer time?
How is the fishing?
Any issues with the cabins there getting vandalized?
Are forest fires common in the area?
Why are there patches of large and small trees around the lake, logging or fire?
Are there flooding problems when the snow melts, it looks like a bowl?
Is the ground dry & firm in the summer months or wet and marshy?

Thanks for your replies

Lonny
How did the bidding go? I am considering bidding on some land there as well thru BillyLand.com. Also the state has some land there to auction off. Have you been there and checked out the area? How is the ground?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrey88 View Post
How did the bidding go? I am considering bidding on some land there as well thru BillyLand.com. Also the state has some land there to auction off. Have you been there and checked out the area? How is the ground?
Nobody new has showed up this winter.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,783 times
Default Deadman Lake Block 7 lot 20 I think lol

I am trying to find out what kind of land this is. I've read people that were going to try to live there year round is anyone doing that?

Old 06-13-2016, 12:02 AM

I will put this as plainly as I can do NOT buy land you can not walk on yourself, Do NOT buy anything before you find the markers....

Old 06-13-2016, 12:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,783 times
OK Thanks for your help I was just working on researching a little about it and thought some of you lived over there and if it was awful I could stop wasting my time on that particular piece and move on. I didn't intend to imply I would be buying this on this information. I didn't mean to bother anyone, sorry

Old 08-06-2016, 11:19 AM

9 posts, read 24,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
Doesn't sound you know which lot you have? It is Bock first, then Lot number. Both the lots that you have listed have Big birch and Cotton Wood, Spruce. I was just there clearing the right of way trail on Tolovana loop.
Right! I got a little worried reading this because I bought Block 9 Lot 22! And I want to keep those trees!

So it sounds like Hopeful owns Lot 14. Glad he figured it out.

And thanks for the tree info and the clearing!

Is it possible to take a snow machine from the Sled Road all the way down there via the loop?

Old 08-07-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caman View Post
Right! I got a little worried reading this because I bought Block 9 Lot 22! And I want to keep those trees!

So it sounds like Hopeful owns Lot 14. Glad he figured it out.

And thanks for the tree info and the clearing!

Is it possible to take a snow machine from the Sled Road all the way down there via the loop?
Probably; depends, I'm always clearing trails and try to stay in the right of ways!

Old 09-11-2016, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,463 times
Default Getting to Deadman lake

I was out at the lake two days ago. If you do not fly in or choose to go out in the winter then the only way in during the summer months is via the sled road in Tolovana (unless you cut your own trail). You drive about 3 hrs from Fairbanks (80 miles on a dirt road) to Manley Hot Springs, then a 4 hour boat ride up the Tanana river (4 hrs because you are lugging an atv against the current) and finally 3 three hours on an atv (its only 4 miles, the rest of the time you spend getting unstuck. The lake however was beautiful. I can send pics if you like. Would I do it again? I dont know probably not alone, and I don't know anyone else who is crazy enough to go with me. By the way anyone know someone on this forum with a blue fourtax? I'd like to speak speak with them.

Good luck,

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska