Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 8,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
All it means is, that if you had Deadman as your voteing address, you got a new representative. Has nothing to do with becoming a borough. How are you doing?

As previouly posted in other threads call me if any one wants to know about Deadman Lake. I field about 5 phone calls and emails a year from all over the country about Deadman.

//www.city-data.com/forum/alask...operty-25.html

Tim

Was wondering if you know about the condition of block 9. I bought this property with the intention of building but I couldn't get up there to see it myself. They are giving me an exchange if I'm unhappy with the one I bought. I'm just real curious about it.

Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 04:23 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,472,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulgatengua View Post

Was wondering if you know about the condition of block 9. I bought this property with the intention of building but I couldn't get up there to see it myself. They are giving me an exchange if I'm unhappy with the one I bought. I'm just real curious about it.

Amanda
They buy all the cheap land from the State's over the counter sales for cheep, mark it up 300 percent and sell its based on your down payment, knowing full well most people will default and give it back over and over again to be resold!

The land they buy cheep is normally boggy, so yeah, they will exchange it for more bog. Never buy land you haven't stood on here, or at least someone you trust!

Most of the photos they use to show the land they steal off the Internet because they haven't been there either. It's about the numbers!

Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
They buy all the cheap land from the State's over the counter sales for cheep, mark it up 300 percent and sell its based on your down payment, knowing full well most people will default and give it back over and over again to be resold!

The land they buy cheep is normally boggy, so yeah, they will exchange it for more bog. Never buy land you haven't stood on here, or at least someone you trust!

Most of the photos they use to show the land they steal off the Internet because they haven't been there either. It's about the numbers!

Thanks! Just found out I bought solid ground; thank god. Tim has been a wonderful help in determining where the lot I bought is located. Sounds like a nice quiet getaway!!!

Amanda

Old 07-15-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Just found out I bought solid ground; thank god. Tim has been a wonderful help in determining where the lot I bought is located. Sounds like a nice quiet getaway!!!

Amanda
Well congrats then. You still need to go stand on it though!

Then figure out the best way to get supplies there to build with. You can take it out yourself or have it delivered by helicopter or float/ski plane.

They will deliver log cabin kits as well by Helo as well!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 PM

404 posts, read 746,651 times
Quote:

Amanda
Thanks call me if you have any more questions. I need to get out there it has been too long!

Tim

Old 07-20-2013, 11:40 PM

Thanks Tim! We'll be up soon. Hopeing to take a look an decide exactlly what route were going to take as far as lodgeing goes and how soon we can start building something.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 PM

9 posts, read 24,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post

"Normally boggy"?????????????????
I've read a lot of your comments and have to respond. I’m not sure what part of Alaska you’re from but you sure don’t sound like one to me. First off, I’ve seen a lot of your unsubstantiated remarks about “bog land” being sold in State subdivisions like Deadman Lake. I say “unsubstantiated” because I used to be personally involved in surveying and subdividing State land and I resent your ignorant accusations. I can say for an absolute fact that the State made (and still makes) every effort to offer only the most buildable property in any area that is offered for sale. That is why you see areas labelled “Tract A”, “Tract B” etc. in these subdivisions!!! Low-lying and unsuitable building areas are “tracted out” and retained in State ownership, can you understand that? I used to spend an awful lot of time wading through bogs for this very reason, and to have some yahoo call an area he’s never seen a “bog” is frankly an affront to me and other professionals in my field. Secondly, buying a property that is legitimately offered for sale on the Internet, for the asking price, is not “stealing”. I for one don’t have the cash to buy a property for a song and resell it for a profit, but I don’t adopt your “sour grapes” attitude to those who do. Are you a Communist? If not, have you ever heard of free enterprise? If the State wants to sell properties for ridiculously low prices (something I used to argue against BTW!), what’s wrong with someone buying them and reselling them? They’re not forcing anyone to buy them. In fact, these properties were first offered to Alaska residents and absolutely NO ONE wanted them! In most cases, they have sat unsold on the Internet for YEARS just waiting for someone to pick them up! Taking advantage of an opportunity is as American as apple pie, and as Alaskan as sourdough! So take your bad attitude and just SHUT UP ! ! ! Thanks.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:38 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,849,289 times

Old 02-08-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caman View Post
"Normally boggy"?????????????????
I've read a lot of your comments and have to respond. I’m not sure what part of Alaska you’re from but you sure don’t sound like one to me. First off, I’ve seen a lot of your unsubstantiated remarks about “bog land” being sold in State subdivisions like Deadman Lake. I say “unsubstantiated” because I used to be personally involved in surveying and subdividing State land and I resent your ignorant accusations.
IF you did survey work, then you know exactly what I'm refering to. I grew up in Alaska, met many of the posters here and have been flying over thirty+ years here and have traveled to almost every town in the State and worked all over it. When flying over much of the State, you can see the reflection of the standing water up through the brush, that is boggy land. My statement also says before anyone buys land in Alaska, they should put boots on it to see what that land is like. There is some very great pieces of land, and there is a lot of it that is for Mosquito farming only or you build a floating cabin.

Quote:
I can say for an absolute fact that the State made (and still makes) every effort to offer only the most buildable property in any area that is offered for sale. That is why you see areas labelled “Tract A”, “Tract B” etc. in these subdivisions!!! Low-lying and unsuitable building areas are “tracted out” and retained in State ownership, can you understand that? I used to spend an awful lot of time wading through bogs for this very reason, and to have some yahoo call an area he’s never seen a “bog” is frankly an affront to me and other professionals in my field. Secondly, buying a property that is legitimately offered for sale on the Internet, for the asking price, is not “stealing”. I for one don’t have the cash to buy a property for a song and resell it for a profit, but I don’t adopt your “sour grapes” attitude to those who do. Are you a Communist? If not, have you ever heard of free enterprise? If the State wants to sell properties for ridiculously low prices (something I used to argue against BTW!), what’s wrong with someone buying them and reselling them? They’re not forcing anyone to buy them. In fact, these properties were first offered to Alaska residents and absolutely NO ONE wanted them! In most cases, they have sat unsold on the Internet for YEARS just waiting for someone to pick them up! Taking advantage of an opportunity is as American as apple pie, and as Alaskan as sourdough! So take your bad attitude and just SHUT UP ! ! ! Thanks.
Scams are scams.... How you wish to protray it is up to you, I assume you sell land on the internet then?

Start out your first post with a real flare though.

Had you bothered to read my views on Alaska land sales in a bit of detail, it is clearly tilted towards the buyer that isn't aware of what land in Alaska is like and what to expect, they are constantly scammed by those that make all sorts of "Grey area" claims, they forget to mention Bog, tundra, permafrost and a host of other details to make the sale. My favorate is claiming there is a "Winter Road" to the remote property which at best is a snowmachine trail, trying to imply they can drive their car to it.

Your view tries to imply that isn't the case, which makes it clear you have a vested interest in selling marginal property here in Alaska then, to a point that I would say you are from out of state as well and are one of the folks I warn people about.

Last edited by starlite9; 02-08-2014 at 01:54 AM..

Old 02-08-2014, 12:06 PM

9 posts, read 24,455 times
I am not one of "those folks" and I'm not trying to imply that scams can't and don't take place, and it torques me when people misrepresent property to the gullible. Especially those bogus "road" pictures! I would never advise anyone to purchase property without standing on it first, either - that's just common sense. There is a ton of info on the web, too, and no real excuse for people who don't at least fact-check a sellers' claims.

I do take issue with the blanket statements you make about "marginal property", "bog land" and "stealing", for the simple reason that (as I already said) I was closely involved with creating some of these subdivisions and know that a lot of work went into identifying and offering decent land to Alaskans for residential and recreational uses. We tried our best to sell only the good stuff and to ensure that every single parcel had at least a couple of decent building sites on it. The fact remains that most Alaskans (and yes, I have been an Alaskan since 1979) didn't want them and so they were sold off to those who did. I would have preferred that they kept the requirement for only Alaskans to be able to buy them, but the state apparently needed/wanted the money.

Still, if something cost $2000 in 1980 there is no reason to expect it will still cost $2000 in 2014, and if I did want to sell my recreational property for a profit (fully disclosing its pros and cons) would that make me a "criminal" or "scammer"?

You are also perpetuating an image of these areas as "marginal land" and "worthless bog" which is not true (or at least the exception rather than the rule). In my view the most common problem a buyer would have would be getting to their property, not the quality of the land itself - for the reasons I already gave.

I don't think we disagree all that much, I just think you should not paint everyone with such a broad brush. There are legitimate sellers and buyers of remote Alaska property, and like everything else, the price is primarily based on supply and demand. And there is good land out there, as long as the sellers describe it accurately. A few bad operators shouldn't define the conversation.

And I'm sorry if my first post was a bit over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska