Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 08:04 PM

6 posts, read 25,340 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm looking for some help. A few friends and I are planning on travelling to Alaska this summer. We'd really like to spend the summer working in Alaska, but we have a problem: we can't find a place to stay! All we need is a house or preferably an apartment to rent for about three months. There would be about 3-5 of us possibly. We don't mind bunking with each other, so even a two bedroom apartment would be swell. The websites we've looked at just aren't helping at all. I'd prefer we stayed in a small town, like Hoonah. Any help, such as a helpful site or a phone number, anything would be very appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Good luck with Hoonah. The chances of you finding work and a place to live just for the summer are slim.
If you still want the small town feel, you should try Sitka. It's bigger (about 7,000 people) so it has more opportunities, but it's a pretty tight knit community. Easier to get to, too, what with the Fairweather making trips out there at least biweekly in the summer.
As far as places to work, in the summer there are lots of openings for people working in shops downtown- Fairweather Prints is my fave shop up there. Ketchikan and Skagway are the other two bigger towns in SE (excluding Juneau, which I assume would be too big for you), also worth looking into.
Good luck!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:37 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_bunny07 View Post
Hi! I'm looking for some help. A few friends and I are planning on travelling to Alaska this summer. We'd really like to spend the summer working in Alaska, but we have a problem: we can't find a place to stay! All we need is a house or preferably an apartment to rent for about three months. There would be about 3-5 of us possibly. We don't mind bunking with each other, so even a two bedroom apartment would be swell. The websites we've looked at just aren't helping at all. I'd prefer we stayed in a small town, like Hoonah. Any help, such as a helpful site or a phone number, anything would be very appreciated. Thanks!!
You might consider Seward, a small town of about 3000 located in south-central Alaska. It is a tourist destination, because the Kenai Fjords National Park is here. (an unforgettable, gorgeous place!) There are large tour boats that berth here about once or twice a week, all summer long. The tourist industry begins hiring for summer help starting about Apr-May. Keep an eye open for jobs here: Alaska Job Center Network
There are plenty of places to stay here! Everything from apartments to mobile homes, to houses. (do a Google search for "Seward Phoenix Log", the local newspaper...they advertise rentals all the time...) I'll be glad to answer any questions...

Bud

Old 09-24-2007, 09:55 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_bunny07 View Post
Surely, U do not mean this Summer. I think Fall officially began on the 23rd of Sept. "Bud", isnt it getting a little nippy by now in your neck of the wood? Most of the tourist have already turn tail and have headed points South. Meaning, some of the food and trinket service jobs, more than likely, are cutting back.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:38 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by es_101 View Post
Hello, I would like to make requirement in respond to the advert I saw on the net, I would like to know the condition of the house and also and if the house is still available let you know that I am presently in London, and the company that I work with will be responsible for the payment of the apartment. Finally I would like you to know that the payment will either be by cheque or by transfer,

You can contact me back with my mail address (johnhedward@hotmail.com)

I hope to hear from you soonest Thanks Mr. Eric James
And you are...?
Funny, you spell check "cheque" but your email address isn't British, French, or Canadian.
I smell a spammer! RANCE!!!

'Nee way, I guess I didn't read the OP well enough. It is too late to get a summer job- today is the first day of fall! I assume you meant next summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska