Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,783 times

Advertisements

I know exactly what you mean, Jamracingalaska. I have been in Alaska (Valley) for about 16 years. It used to be so different. I know other places change but the change in Alaska is different. I grew up in the 'burbs of St. Paul, MN. When I go home to visit, yes there is change but not so drastic as I have seen in Alaska. I also wonder sometimes if it is just me that changed. Sometimes, when we go snowmachining out in the middle of nowhere and the Northern Lights are shimmering behind Pioneer Peak I think "aaahhh, this is the Alaska I remember. The Alaska I fell in love with." And then you come back to reality. Pretty sad. Good luck in Arkansas. My best friend left AK for Arkansas a few years ago and loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 10:20 AM

64 posts, read 424,934 times
You will NEVER find another place like Alaska. If Anchorage is too much like the lower 48, then head up to Fairbanks. If Fairbanks doesn't work for you, head out further.

My wife and I hoped Colorado would be a happy medium between the Lower 48 and Alaska, well Geographically it's the case... but the people here stink compared to Alaska. It's as equally bad anywhere in the Lower 48.

This is why we are returning to Alaska.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,831 times
If you're headed to the lesser 48 to get back to something that Alaska has lost in the last 20 years, you may as well get a time machine too. And just remember, each of us that move to Alaska (or anywhere else) bring changes to it, that has always been the case. Good luck in your new milieu.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,832 times
Default Seeing 20/20 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I said the same thing in 1977 when we left Alaska for better job opportunities. Husband had hit the top of his profession. Always regretted it and always wanted to go back. Lived there from 53 to 77 and remember the statehood celebration. Lived thru the pipeline years and the "outsiders" coming in with their "attitudes". Boy was it nice when there was no TV, no McDonalds and safe neighborhoods.

[Husband says I am remembering thru rose colored glasses and I probably am but still would like to live there again.]
Sweetana3 ... you're seeing 20/20 through those glasses of yours. Much of Alaska is very similar to when you were there. If the road system is left alone ... which I believe it should be ... that virgin Alaska will still be there for you to return to in the future. Bring your husband along!

Old 11-22-2006, 01:36 AM

7 posts, read 54,629 times
well come on down to california and get even for what our people have done to your state. I appologise on behalf of all californians for their actions. the same things happened to Westport, CA, a little slice of RURAL northern california i USED to call home. big city folks from san fran moved in, took control, water bills up to $125 a month, NO FIRE PROTECTION FOR 6 MONTHS, and numerous other illegal activities. This is a town of 65 people, and we had people do drive by shootings at our house(not the one that made the news, that was one of the folks who moved there from San fran) twice this happened, so we left. We in northern california are not what the typical californian is stereotyped as. I would like to someday move to alaska, and live off the land, cause everyone from southern california took all of ours up in Northern CA for vacation homes, and developements.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:52 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,175 times
What other country in the world allows citizenship just by being born on its soil?

Canada, Ireland, France, and Australia, for starters.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:25 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Wow! Reading the many post we all know our home areas have changed.
I left my hometown of Martinsburg, WV in 1992 for good! Used to be a small Norman Rockwell/Mayberry town, then the Washington DC speed train came.
Since the place has turned into a high crime cesspool.

Had the opportunity to live in Fairbanks, Ft. Wainwright in 1982 - 83. Good I loved Alaska, I hope Fairbanks and the N.Pole are still the same

Live in Georgia now, not bad but rather crowded, illegal invasion, plus California and Florida. If your moving to RKansas, get ready for a culture shock, not to mention chicken plants. When it comes to Chicken Plants, illegals, and **** infested creeks, old GA and RKansas are kissin' cousins.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:36 AM

15 posts, read 71,008 times
Default I Leave Tomorrow !!

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. My house has sold and I'm leaving tomorrow. How fun it will be to travel the Alaska highway once again. It was 48 below in Northway this morning. Cant wait! LOL
Thanks for your encouraging words, your advice, and thanks for just posting. This has been so difficult for me to leave. Although I complained in my original post, I am having a hard time leaving my home here in Alaska. I am however, looking forward to a new start. I will give it one year, If it does not work out, I'm coming home regardless of who has moved here. Thanks to you all, and above all......Thank you Alaska!! Thanks for giving me the best place in the world to raise my family. Thanks for showing me real beauty and thanks for saving my life so many years ago!! Thanks for the loon in the lake that day...it healed me forever! THANKS

Old 11-26-2006, 02:56 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Have a safe trip. Take your time. You've got some mileage to cover.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,774 times
Jamracing Sorry to hear that you are leaving such a spectacular environment. I guess I am one of the four cheechakos replacing one Alaskan. I have no intention of changing nor demanding anything to change in Palmer, I am moving because the quality of life seems much friendlier, simplier, and peaceful than East Texas, and hope to embrace the Alaskan way of life and get to know the people in my new town. If you are running from Alaska to "get away" from the Californians that move in "because they just love the way of life" then demand it to change it; my suggestion is to stay and protect your town from the mass development, strip malls, and fast food restaurants. It is no different in the lower 48, particularly in the "country" and "rural" areas. My little town east of Dallas has fallen victim to the Californian invasion. They move here because they want a nice lil country town to live, then complain that they need to travel over an hour to "shop" and complain about the inconveniences, so then demand strip malls, and all the "stuff" that they supposedly left California to get away from. Its not much different down here, except Texas and the south are more convenient for them to get to from California, and we have two seasons, Hot and Very hot. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska