U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 AM

15 posts, read 66,290 times

Advertisements

After almost 20 years of living in my Alaska, the time has come to move on. It saddens me to see the changes here that have taken place over the years. Long gone are the sourdoughs, the bush families monthly visits to town, cheechakos today, are not the same as they were. This used to be such a unique place to live, but not anymore. The people who have moved here in the last few years have really changed what Alaska used to be. Words have even changed. Things here were never expensive, they were "spendy". nobody says that anymore. The lower 48 attitudes have arrived in Alaska and have polluted it. Years ago I would travel by dog team to so many places. That too is gone due to the fact that everyone moved in and posted no tresspassing signs and blocked off all of the trails. (more unsocial behavior)
I remember going into the store and knowing everyone, today, I dont know anyone! Things change I guess. I remember a day when "meth" didn't even exist in Alaska. Now all of the clowns from Eastern Washington have moved here and brought their own type of white ice with them.
They all learned that Alaska has one of the highest levels of welfare, so you can imagine the quality of people that has attracted as well.
Hunting for your family used to be a part of life. I don't even go anymore because the clowns have either lied about residency and gotten tier 2 permits and I didn't, or they just go poach a moose which leaves less for others.
Alaska has changed....or, is it I who have changed? I've pondered that question and I guess it goes both ways, but I've concluded that I changed because my Alaska changed. Do I sound bitter? yeah. This was my edge of the earth. My solitude, my refuge and they came and changed it. Part of life I suppose. So one Alaskan moves out and four more "cheechakos" will move in!
The reality of this thread is that this is part of my seperation from my home. It will be so difficult for me to get to the border and look back and see all of the fond memories here. The growth of my family, the northern lights on a clear night, salmon spawning in the creek. So many good memories.
Thanks for letting me vent. It is going to take a lot for me to detatch from here and this is just a part of it. Thanks for the memories.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 01:10 PM

422 posts, read 1,797,965 times
i dont think any state is the same anymore- where do you plan on moving?

Old 09-22-2006, 01:47 PM

872 posts, read 3,338,870 times
Sorry to hear you'll be going "outside" forever.We native North Carolinians feel your pain. Our state too has changed. Guess they'll have to change the motto to "Wasthe last frontier" But you would of thought the cold would of kept the "invaders" out. lol. They are like locusts. Once they hear from a friend of a friend about a new hotspot they go moving from one place to another deystroying it in the process and changing the way of life they moved there for. But you always have the people who move there and want to become locales and not keep that "big state" attitude. Will Alaska go the way of Florida? Hopefully not. But alas like you said is it we the ones that will ultimely have to change? Is it mainly people from Calfornia and Washington that are coming up? And is it mainly the South-Central thats changing or has all of Alaska changed?

Old 09-22-2006, 07:24 PM

32 posts, read 137,506 times
Huh.

Wow. I've lived in Anchorage most of my life, and I've never heard of Alaska being referred to as being in a "welfare state".. in fact, very recently KTUU and the Anchorage Daily News indicated that Alaskans have the highest rate of "disposable income" than any other state in the nation.

That - and the fact that we've (embarrasingly) come in right on top everytime in being the recipient of "pork $$$" for how many years? ...

Look at the checks we're all about to receive in oil money!! Every woman, man, child, and baby in the state will once again receive a big fat paycheck next month. Why don't other states that produce oil set up systems like that for their residents as well??

Seriously, when you consider the needs of places like New Orleans, then you look at things like Anchorage being given close to 2 million just for a lousy bus stop in front of the state museaum -- not to mention the millions they're pouring into the "bridges to nowhere" it's just insane.

I've always felt bad for the states that were being short-changed in the deal.

In any event.. It sounds like you're ready for a change though and I sure wish you well in your new home!!

~Safe travels Jamracing!~ I'm sorry to hear things have worsened for you here.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-08-2013 at 08:41 AM..

Old 09-25-2006, 01:57 AM

393 posts, read 1,775,626 times
yes, I am also wondering where u are going.........Oh my gosh, I can relate to your story with many fond memories of my "own hometown" , which I had to leave 20yrs ago because, I couldn't afford to live there anymore.....So many people moved in!!! The whole area has changed, some for the worse, some for the better. You are not alone, change is what this world is made of, and I guess we have to just change with it!

Old 09-25-2006, 11:41 AM

15 posts, read 66,290 times
Well, let me clarify a few things. When I mentioned welfare, what I meant was that Alaska has a higher than normal allotment rate on welfare. People get more food stamps and monthly dollars. I did not mean that more "people" are on welfare here. Sorry. Yes, people from Calif. Wash. and oregon have swarmed here and have brought those lower 48 attitudes with them. The south central area is where I have seen the most change. As for me....I have purchased 67 acres in a very rural area of Arkansas. Arkansas?? Yep, Quite the change. I guess I'm ready for four seasons. We all know Alaska has only 2 Winter and getting ready for winter!

Old 09-25-2006, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 12,023 times
Red face Welcome Home to Arkansas

I'm sorry to hear you are leaving Alaska. I was thinking I'd love to visit there. We here in Arkansas will be happy to have you. Come on down. Oh, and by the way...due to global warming we don't really have winter anymore. It very seldom snows where I live in Arkansas. I love a pretty snowfall. Don't get me started about summer. It is hot enough to fry eggs on the sidewalk. This year our average temp. for August was right around 100 degrees. Phew. Alaska sounds like a picnic to me. Don't get me wrong, my ancestors came to Arkansas over 150 years ago and I do love it despite it's shortcomings. So come on down if you like HOT sultry weather about six months out of the year. I wish we still had winter.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM

485 posts, read 1,553,604 times
Jamracing! I hate to tell you this, but we in the south only have 2 seasons as well, extremely hot summer and a slight letup from the summer. If you've always lived in Alaska, you won't know what to do in Arkansas. My family has been planning to move up North for relief from the breathtaking heat. We have been looking at Alaska, but aren't yet committed. We may only make it as far up as Wyoming. I was born and raised in the Southern states and I thought for years that I loved it. However, the climate seems to just get milder and I haven't even needed a coat in about 4 years. Light jackets are pleasant throughout the winter(oops, I should call it summer relief) unless of course you work outdoors all day long. Also, the humidity saps every bit of energy you have. I hope you enjoy your move.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:04 PM

15,599 posts, read 36,256,394 times
Well sorry to see you go! I lived in northern Arkansas a couple times. It's very nice. It does get hot in the spring and I never made it throughj a summer! Good luck to you and yours...

Old 09-26-2006, 06:18 AM

3,867 posts, read 10,072,650 times
I said the same thing in 1977 when we left Alaska for better job opportunities. Husband had hit the top of his profession. Always regretted it and always wanted to go back. Lived there from 53 to 77 and remember the statehood celebration. Lived thru the pipeline years and the "outsiders" coming in with their "attitudes". Boy was it nice when there was no TV, no McDonalds and safe neighborhoods.

Husband says I am remembering thru rose colored glasses and I probably am but still would like to live there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or