Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:06 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No answer, I see. That comes as no surprise.

I'm simultaneously amazed and disappointed by those who gauge success by television appearances.

Sarah certainly has some accomplishments under her belt that shouldn't be dismissed simply because she failed the state of Alaska as governor and screwed up the GOP's chances at the presidency during the last election. However, saying that she's more "accomplished than 99.9 percent of us here" is pure and absolute bunk.

I found it especially silly when so much was made of the Palin's being a commercial fishing family. They were set-netting off the shore -- that's like comparing riding a tricycle on an urban sidewalk to riding a Harley up the Dalton Highway.

It's a hell of sad state of affairs when tabloid fame is considered more of an...accomplishment...than hard honest work.

Pffft.
While I agree with your assessment of what is or is not an accomplishment, I disagree that "she failed the state of Alaska." I consider her resignation both timely and overall a good thing for the State. It was obvious that as a result of all the ethics complaints in a six month period that she was not able to manage the business of the State, therefore it was in the best interests of Alaska that she resign.

Personally, I think accomplishments are determined by the individual accomplishing them. Whether someone else views those tasks as an accomplishment or not is immaterial. For example, if someone has difficulty reading and they read War & Peace, then in their mind that is an accomplishment. For other people, reading a book is not an accomplishment. If we can complete a challenging task, then it is an accomplishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Not to mention that nowhere did I mention television appearances or reality shows.

Goodness, Sarah hasn't run for anything for almost 4 years and heads are still exploding in fear of her.

Amusing.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:49 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Fail! I got to the sentence I bolded and realized there was zero credibility, so no need to read further.
How silly. You can't list one of what you seem to feel are her "accomplishments," yet you can attempt to make a cheap shot simply because someone doesn't agree with you that she's accomplished more than 99.9 percent of the posters here.

Quote:
Not to mention that nowhere did I mention television appearances or reality shows.
It's probable that television has been your own exposure to her -- or maybe you lapped up her ghostwritten books as well?

If you can't come up with something besides ad hominem attacks, don't bother.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:

Goodness, Sarah hasn't run for anything for almost 4 years and heads are still exploding in fear of her.

And those who glorify Palin because of her "accomplishments" are still falling back on the old song and dance about how those who aren't blind followers are "afraid" of her. That isn't even original.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:53 AM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
I think in 2016, we need to see Hillary/Palin or Palin/Hillary ticket just to see both sides just lose it.
As CC say's carry on.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:06 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
How silly. You can't list one of what you seem to feel are her "accomplishments," yet you can attempt to make a cheap shot simply because someone doesn't agree with you that she's accomplished more than 99.9 percent of the posters here.

It's probable that television has been your own exposure to her -- or maybe you lapped up her ghostwritten books as well?

If you can't come up with something besides ad hominem attacks, don't bother.
Firstly, I don't answer to you and never will.

Secondly, a quick google will show you her accomplishments.

Thirdly, why on earth are you attacking me? Attack Sarah, if you wish, but there's no need for you to attack me. I'm not running for office. You have nothing to fear where I'm concerned.

You sound exactly like some of those people on YouTube who think Sarah actually said, "I can see Russia from my house."

I actually feel sorry for the hatred you seem to feel toward the Palins and toward anyone who won't jump on your criticism bandwagon. How sad for you. Anger management might help.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:11 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Ooh, we got an internet psychologist up in here!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Ooh, we got an internet psychologist up in here!

LOL. Yes, as well as another "Google expert" on Alaskan issues. Z. NWMT.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:49 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
She's accomplished far more than 99.99% of us here ever will.
She's certainly a far more accomplished grifter than most of us here -- or anywhere.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:09 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
My parents were born in Minnesota and California. I was also born in California, and lived for several years in Minnesota. While southern California has no discernible accent, Minnesota certainly does, and it is exactly like Sarah Palins accent and the idioms she uses. Wisconsin and the Dakotas also have the same accent and idiom usage.

A friend of mine is also from Wisconsin, and I am constantly pointing out her "mispronunciations." For example, she will say "hoose" or "oot" instead of "house" or "out." The same is true for Canadians. They have issues with pronouncing the "OW" sound, any word with an "ou" in it is pronounced "oo."
Oot and aboot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska