Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:28 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I've actually never noticed an accent, but I did notice a change when she became the VP pick -- all the folksy stuff -- Sarah didn't used to talk that way.
I bet a lot of that was McCain's handlers that kept a leash on her, they were trying to change her to make her more appealing, but pretty much blew it, and they did make some other big mistakes, which is also why McCain lost as well. When you're #2, you don't get a lot of free rein!

'Course our current VP is nothing but a gaff making machine, and the press other than Fox and the Internet bloggers, give him a free pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I bet a lot of that was McCain's handlers that kept a leash on her, they were trying to change her to make her more appealing, but pretty much blew it, and they did make some other big mistakes, which is also why McCain lost as well. When you're #2, you don't get a lot of free rein!
I think it was scripted -- McCain's handlers wanted to give the general populace the idea that she was one of the "common" people. Sarah didn't talk like that as governor, as mayor or on the Anchorage tv station. I'm not sure that it's widely known that her degree is actually in broadcast journalism, and that included coursework on how to talk in front of a camera. The nasal stuff is something she can't help, and maybe the Midwestern sounding accent is some sort of individual speech quirk, but I don't think she got it from growing up in Wasilla.

I wonder sometimes if the whole going rogue thing wasn't a reaction on her part to the control they tried to have over her "image."

Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 PM

811 posts, read 1,317,817 times
If Pailn is not like so much why do some of these threads go for so long?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:24 PM

56 posts, read 236,680 times
Out of curiosity I found a video of you tube on her sports casting days.

Sarah Palin: From TV Sports Anchor To Vice Presidential Candidate

I don't think her accent is fake at all, considering she sounds the same as she did in 1988.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:26 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
As a Canadian who lives near the Greater Toronto area I have a couple of observations on the whole thing. Now, I have travelled extensively all over the USA and the way Sara speaks just sounds like the average uneducated Hick from just about anywhere west of Chicago and north of Missouri.

I have lived in Canada for 60 years and I have yet yo hear anyone speaking like you guys discribe us as doing. That OOT for out or HOOSE for house is Scottish for sure. You may find it in Nova Scotia or Newfoundland but not in most of the country.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1985 View Post
Out of curiosity I found a video of you tube on her sports casting days.

Sarah Palin: From TV Sports Anchor To Vice Presidential Candidate

I don't think her accent is fake at all, considering she sounds the same as she did in 1988.
I'm not sure that anyone said that her accent was fake. I think that some were saying that the "folksy" stuff was scripted. And no, she didn't talk like that in '88, even though she's dropping a few gs. She's not winking either, thank Heaven.

How many "you betchas" and "doggone its" did you hear on the video?

About her accent, if it were a true accent and not an independent speech quirk, everyone else who grew up in the valley would talk the same way. They don't. I think it's just how she talks.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-03-2012 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
If Pailn is not like so much why do some of these threads go for so long?
Because people don't confine conversational topics to what they "like" or don't like; it simply isn't human nature to do so.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
As a Canadian who lives near the Greater Toronto area I have a couple of observations on the whole thing. Now, I have travelled extensively all over the USA and the way Sara speaks just sounds like the average uneducated Hick from just about anywhere west of Chicago and north of Missouri.

I have lived in Canada for 60 years and I have yet yo hear anyone speaking like you guys discribe us as doing. That OOT for out or HOOSE for house is Scottish for sure. You may find it in Nova Scotia or Newfoundland but not in most of the country.
You may have been Canadian, I can tell you without any doubt that a lot of Canadians use the OOT and HOOSE. I live right across the border in N. MI. Just listen to some of the Canadian hockey announcers, that is proof enough of the OOT and such.

I do agree though that Palin does sound like your ordinary uneducated hick, maybe on purpose, maybe not.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:17 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
That is not an accent. It is a screetch and in no way reflects an Alaska accent, rather an Alaskan accident.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's a good one.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
When it concerns State political office, I am only concerned about what is in the best interests of Alaska. Whether she profited by her decision or not is immaterial. It was the right decision for the State of Alaska. I do not begrudge her the choices she made, it is her life to do as she will. What the State legislature did to her would leave a bitter pill in anyone's mouth. If I had other choices, like she did, I do not think I would be so quick to come back to Alaska either. All she did was accept McCain's offer to be his Vice President running mate, and she was treated very shabbily as a result.
No, that's not true.

It was stuff like accusing the President of "palling around with terrorists", not being able to name one newspaper that she reads, and being ignorant of United States foreign policy (i.e. - the Bush Doctrine)and knowing and understanding the basic duties of the Vice-President of the United States and refusing to be coached on these issues by campaign staff or educate herself that turned people off. No one knows everything and that's understable but to refuse to learn is absolutely appalling and unacceptable, as well as extremely dangerous and potentially catastrophic for the country.

I voted for her in 2006 because she supposedly had a reputation of being honest and a straight shooter and I think she did an acceptable job, for the most part, until she accepted Mc Cain's offer to be his running mate. After that, she changed or maybe she started showing her true colors. Either way, it became obvious that Alaska was no longer a big enough stage for her and she quit (regardless of the reason, she still quit) and that's when most people (myself included) completely lost respect for her.

She failed the people of Alaska, especially those of us who, in hindsight, mistakenly voted for her because she chose not serve out her term. A true leader does not bail out when the going gets tough but instead, they reconcile the situation to the best of their ability, weathers the adversity and moves forward.

She failed the basic test of leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska