Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:21 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times

Advertisements

Although I'm not a gay advocate, if you come to Alaska and keep to yourself, you'll be welcomed in most of the places without issues, most people don't like "In your face" types, whomever they are or represent.

People pushing any agenda isn't all that welcome here, although they will find like people, being a normal couple is just that for those that you will meet. So if you are two people that want to move to Alaska and have a good life, then enjoy yourself.

My biggest turnoff is some politicians that are making promises they have no intention of keeping. Anyone that can shake my hand and keep their word is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Although I'm not a gay advocate, if you come to Alaska and keep to yourself, you'll be welcomed in most of the places without issues, most people don't like "In your face" types, whomever they are or represent.

People pushing any agenda isn't all that welcome here, although they will find like people, being a normal couple is just that for those that you will meet. So if you are two people that want to move to Alaska and have a good life, then enjoy yourself.

My biggest turnoff is some politicians that are making promises they have no intention of keeping. Anyone that can shake my hand and keep their word is welcome.
Is this not sort of an oxymoronic statement?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:44 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
No. To give an example, if you're strongly conservative or liberal, but don't talk about politics, no one will be turned off by your political leanings. But if every other sentence you speak is a slam against the opposite political persuasion, many people won't like that.

That's not to say you can't speak about politics or your opinions. But if you do it in a way that it comes across to the other person as an attack they're going to react. Note that what matters in this regard is how the other person views your comments, not how you view them

If you want to live peacefully with your neighbors most likely you can (there are exceptions, though I've never had an exception). If you want to poke your neighbors to get a strong reaction you definitely can. Through your actions you choose one of these, you can't do both.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Well I suppose it can be construed to seem like that.

But it most people can grasp what I said.

If you are a militant environmentalist, Gay rights, Peace Activist or whatever "Agenda" you want to push, you will find most Alaskans will turn you off as a loon after a while.

As I said, I'm not a Gay basher, but I don't agree with the lifestyle, but that is that/those people's choice and so be it as long as they don't get in my face about it, I know gay couples and for the most part they are pretty decent folks like anyone else, better in some cases.

Environmentalism is good, but many of the clowns that come to Alaska push a "Do nothing" agenda. Yet most people of common sense realize that Alaska is what it is because of it's Natural Resources, be it mining, drilling for oil, timber or fishing. They all have their place and yet we have these rabid groups that come up to Alaska to "save" us, change us, or save the wolf or save the salmon which are being tended to locally and doing pretty well considering those resources down South are all but gone in most cases/States!

World wide the International Fishing ships set out over 60,000 miles of longline nets at night, at least that was an accurate number in the late 1970's when I was in the Coast Guard monitoring vessel information. I am sure it is much more than that now. So our fishing is dropping off, but yet we have these guys come to Alaska from the outside, fish in Alaskan Waters, make big bucks and go South taking the money with them, and then are fighting the Pebble Mine to blame the fishing is in danger if it goes into production.

Mine or not, our fishing is in danger and as the world's population increases, it will decline. But that never occurs to those people, when the fishing is gone, so will a chance to earn a living without the mine either! Currently this summer, the Cook Inlet fishing has become a disaster to those that make a living fishing, simply put the shortage has nothing to do with drilling, mining or global warming, the fish are being taken on the high seas before they have a chance to return.

The list goes on and on, Most just want to live and enjoy their life in the last Frontier.

We get all sorts of people that come to Alaska to escape from where they came from and then turn right around and try to make it like where they were from. To me, they are jerks no matter what they want to do, as far as I'm concerned, they can go back to the mess they left instead of screwing Alaska up.

Having said that, I welcome anyone that wants to come here for a new life and is willing to add to the Alaskan lifestyle and an adventure of a lifetime. I grew up in Alaska and have been to almost every corner of it, and love it. In my youth I have been thrown out of some of the nicer establishments around the World, and still prefer to be here, which clearly shows I'm not perfect either.

Most people that move to Alaska go to one of the couple major cities and plant there and never get out to see Alaska, it is only a few minutes by air off the road system. So now we have gangs, drugs and the "Normal stuff" in Anchorage like the big cities down south.

Basically I personally don't care what your belief's are, as long as you don't infringe your beliefs on us (big difference in sharing though), enjoy yourself and you will find most Alaskans will treat you well.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:16 PM

236 posts, read 427,413 times
maybe I'm a lil thick but does it really matter anymore. people are just people

Old 10-13-2012, 05:09 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
No. To give an example, if you're strongly conservative or liberal, but don't talk about politics, no one will be turned off by your political leanings. But if every other sentence you speak is a slam against the opposite political persuasion, many people won't like that.

That's not to say you can't speak about politics or your opinions. But if you do it in a way that it comes across to the other person as an attack they're going to react. Note that what matters in this regard is how the other person views your comments, not how you view them

If you want to live peacefully with your neighbors most likely you can (there are exceptions, though I've never had an exception). If you want to poke your neighbors to get a strong reaction you definitely can. Through your actions you choose one of these, you can't do both.
I just think it's a bit odd that many or any of the first responses the OP received was keep your: views, beliefs, politics etc. to your self.

If the op had stated they were a jewish couple or black or mexican or mormon looking to move in (as many do on CD), i doubt many of the first responses would have been the same. It seems there is an implied stereotype that being gay somehow means the only thing you want to engage others in is your gayness.

I'm not gay myself but i know and i have met many people who are and them being gay rarely defines who they are at all times. Frankly this stereotype i believe only exists among those who have met very few or have never met any gay people at all.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I just think it's a bit odd that many or any of the first responses the OP received was keep your: views, beliefs, politics etc. to your self.

If the op had stated they were a jewish couple or black or mexican or mormon looking to move in (as many do on CD), i doubt many of the first responses would have been the same. It seems there is an implied stereotype that being gay somehow means the only thing you want to engage others in is your gayness.

I'm not gay myself but i know and i have met many people who are and them being gay rarely defines who they are at all times. Frankly this stereotype i believe only exists among those who have met very few or have never met any gay people at all.
Personally, I think anyone that starts off telling the members that I'm white, Black, Gay or whatever their flavor is, can skip that info. It isn't really required at all nowadays, except to start stirring the pot. If you are of one background and you want to find out where all the like people are at, you clearly aren't interested in starting a new life if you go from a frying pan into a skillet!

Ask questions about places where you want to go, but to get back into the same life you are leaving is like the one definition of insanity..... Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results!

If you want to change your lifestyle, you need to change it period. In Anchorage we now have ethnic groups moving into the same neighborhoods and we now have gangs, prejudice between those different groups, not learning the local language because they feel its better to keep the "Old Ways", which is why they left from where they were before here.

If you want to move to Alaska, just say so, don't really care what your personal ideals are as long as you respect others, you'll find a lot of people will respect yours as well.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:57 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
To the OP, just a note. Fairbanks is a nice small college town. Anchorage is the "big city". I'm not from there, I've only visited. I was in Fairbanks a few years back during the winter and it wasn't so bad. You could always drive or take the train down to Anchorage if you get the itch to go to the city. Of course, it's a few hours away.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
To the OP, just a note. Fairbanks is a nice small college town. Anchorage is the "big city". I'm not from there, I've only visited. I was in Fairbanks a few years back during the winter and it wasn't so bad. You could always drive or take the train down to Anchorage if you get the itch to go to the city. Of course, it's a few hours away.
You're right, but Fairbanks has been growing like a boom town.

Having grown up in Anchorage and lived the last 20+ years in the greater Fairbanks area, I don't have many desires to go to Anchorage except to see the kid. Fairbanks has pretty much anything you can want in Anchorage.

Big differenaces are winters and summers. Anchorage has milder winters, Fairbanks is as harsh as the Arctic and a lot of times much worse. Summers are cooler and wetter in Anchorage and Fairbanks is normally about twenty degrees warmer. Cost of heat in Anchorage is normally much cheaper with Natural Gas, in the interior is the more expensive heating oil which is around $4.00+ a gallon about now. Both places can use wood heat, but the "Anti" crowds are trying to stop that as well because of air Quality.... but where are those clowns when we have a million acre "Natural" forest fire that covers the state in smoke thicker than fog all summer.

Down in the Kenai/Soldotna areas, you have a lot of the big box stores and can pretty much get what Anchorage has, cheaper housing, and good jobs.

You can find what you want in pretty much anywhere on the road system or be where you can in a few hours of driving.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 PM

116 posts, read 546,351 times
Quote:

Have you ever heard of a jewish, black, mexican, or mormon pride parade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska