Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
We've been divorced since 2000. However, we've gotten back together and split up numerous times since then. What can I say? I'm a good catch. Sometimes. Right now we are jointly raising our youngest granddchild so I'm outta the doghouse as long as their is a poopy diaper to change.
You should probably update your profile to reflect the fact that you're taken

It might prevent some further broken hearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 10,136 times
Hey, thanks to all that has been responding. I've been able to log on now and reply!
The main reason why I put "gay" couple in this thread was to see what kind of replies would be written... In a way just testing the water. From what I read the water seems very comfortable because where I live... the water is boiling about everyone and anything that is different from anybody. Just an analogy. Well I will have 30,000 for the move saved and have been looking at small acreage of land ranging from Anchorage to Fairbanks. We are a type of people that keep to our selves but I am more willing to help other people if they are in trouble just because I believe what comes around goes around. Always greeting people with a smile and friendly handshake. I did get a good laugh over us "gays"(I hope I don't offend anyone by using that word choice) being flamey and in your face, haha. That's how social media portrays us. I'd say about 80-85% of "us" do not act this way and you would never know that they are not heterosexual. They could be a family member, best friend, boss, coworker, bar buddy, fishing pall. A lot do lie for what ever reason, I figure because of fear or they don't want to mess with all the questions. Seeing this thread took a loop off topic... I had been trying to figure out mainly what a good amount of money is needed to live off of up in Alaska. I'm just mainly concerned with rent(small descent place at first before buying land/property, good hunting?, utilities in and out of anchorage and fairbanks, cost of food. My answers have been answered to how people will be friendly or not, closed minded or open to understanding, educated or not. There are a lot of descent good hard working folk there that I would not mind surrounding my self with.

Thanks again everyone that's been involved on this thread.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 PM

186 posts, read 263,373 times
Female, straight, <<trying to figure out where the heck she has been living the last couple of decades, because it doesn't resemble some of the remarks on here>>

Well before I read some of these posts I would have said, come ahead, water's fine. I live in Anchorage. I am sure there are others but Mad Myernas (sp) is a gay bar, and they are a hoot because they have some fantastic plays and shows, and some drag, some not. Rocky Horror has been my favorite because they actually performed the movie not just showed the movie. Cast is mixed pref.

If you aren't sleeping with me, I really don't care what the pref is. Overt PDAs not so cool. maybe to straight guys but I find chick in micro mini and b**bs-a-lot more disturbing than two guys holding hands or kissing.

So real question is affordability. did not catch where you are from, if it is not a cold climate you will have an initial outlay, clothes, gloves, pants, shirts, socks, coats, sweaters, etc. check out amazon.com if you want midranged prices. Energy, gas, electric go UP in winter, not just heat, but having on more lights, etc. You need a good vehicle, you can't just have a "beater" without a garage or tank heater in it. remote start is very nice.

Housing will depend on renting, and area of town. You can look at everything as about 15-20% higher here. Depends on your lifestyle. We have good internet, so computers, netflicks, blockbuster, mmos(computer gaming) etc. all avail here in Anchorage. If you aren't particular, I live in a trailer court and it is very cool with loopy roads and mature trees. unfortunately mature trees in alaska tend to be like the size of your forearm and not a redwood.

We have things like the performing arts center, which does a lot of shows, horizons, tyco drummers, phantom of the opera, etc., we have multiple city centers, Dimond, Tikatnu (sorry if my spelling is bad, but dimond spelled for person not gem.) target, walmart, century 16 with imax, best buy, all the way down to subway, quiznos and applebees.

A lot of the overt hostility seems to be more towards homeless and native population. And domestic violence, and drugs. There is bad everywhere.

I think your experience will be on if you can find a circle of friends you can hang with and that will make your time here. Some people (smile big) are just "people are people" type people and some are nut jobs. sorry...no more rosie picture than that.

The worst news you could get is that Alaska can be hard to get in and out of, expensive. If you are not prepped for cold, can be an initial outlay of money, and repairs, stuff can be surprisingly expensive.

I hope you guys find a great place to live and great friends to be with.

Meowen... my day entirely, though I think I have it easier as you have a cat. Love Dexter. But prefer sci-fi/fantasy/horror to homeland. Though I love law and order.

Good Luck to all.
BTW...is hard to tell gender of two people whose parkas are stuck together at the head....just saying

Anchorage, Alaska Vacation, Tourism & Travel Information | anchorage.net
Moving to Alaska | alaska.com
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Alaska jobs | Anchorage employment | moving to Anchorage | anchorage.net

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2012 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska