Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 AM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times

Advertisements

From the Lake and Pen Borough website: "
The Borough levies three local taxes: a 2% Raw Fish Sales and Use Tax, a 6% Hotel / Motel Room Tax, and a severance tax on the harvest of certain natural resources within the Borough. In addition, the Borough requires anyone who conducts guided activites within its boundaries to purchase a guiding permit based on the number of visitors or clients. The Borough Assembly has adopted conservative budgeting practices including the "forward funding" method, which precludes it from adopting a general fund budget that is more than the general fund balance of the previous year-end."

http://www.lakeandpen.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={E4E1AF70-DAB9-4462-942A-C4B21F8A2D31}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
That is the definition of Corporation.
Let me refine my statement: at All costs.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:29 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
The Borough Assembly has adopted conservative budgeting practices including the "forward funding" method, which precludes it from adopting a general fund budget that is more than the general fund balance of the previous year-end
That's a good idea. I would like to see governments at all level cap their expenditures for the current year at no more than the revenue they received the previous year.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:54 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
That's a good idea. I would like to see governments at all level cap their expenditures for the current year at no more than the revenue they received the previous year.
Agree with you.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:12 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Sounds great in theory, but in practice maybe not. That could work for certain areas, but not all areas of government. You need to have an emergency fund - to cover a potential unexpected, but highly needed expense. For example, Natural Disasters (Earthquakes, Fires, Floods, Hurricanes, Heavy Snow Fall, Avalanches, mudslids, etc..) and in my local area we have a problem with bursting sewer pipes and a bridge that needs repair urgently. Those things cannot wait to be budgeted in. And sometimes the bill comes with a sticker shock!

As long as the budget includes the rainy day fund - I agree. And I do agree in frugal and wise spending within a budget.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Sounds great in theory, but in practice maybe not. That could work for certain areas, but not all areas of government. You need to have an emergency fund - to cover a potential unexpected, but highly needed expense. For example, Natural Disasters (Earthquakes, Fires, Floods, Hurricanes, Heavy Snow Fall, Avalanches, mudslids, etc..) and in my local area we have a problem with bursting sewer pipes and a bridge that needs repair urgently. Those things cannot wait to be budgeted in. And sometimes the bill comes with a sticker shock!

As long as the budget includes the rainy day fund - I agree. And I do agree in frugal and wise spending within a budget.
I don't disagree with your idea. The problem is that the borough assemblies and mayors never put money away for an emergency. Any revenue collected from property tax and the rest go into general funds, and later spent.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't disagree with your idea. The problem is that the borough assemblies and mayors never put money away for an emergency. Any revenue collected from property tax and the rest go into general funds, and later spent.
There should be a rule/law regarding this. I know that when they look at financial stability of a Municipal Government (County/Borough or City) they look at the reserve find levels in comparison to the overall budget.

There is gnerally a balancd budget rule on the books (at least there is here) which means you can't budget more money than you have. Maybe it should be, you can't budget more than 95% of what you have. The 5% has to go into a reserve fund that requires special permission or circumstances to use. I know that in a natural disaster, typically FEMA steps in a reimburses the local entity -- but sometimes these fiscal, unexpected emergencies, are not reimbursed.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:

Alaska is in a rather unique situation. Since oil royalties pay for 87% of the State's total budget, they could set up some kind of budgetary trust fund. Similar to the existing Permanent Fund, but slated solely for legislative budgets. The dividends from the investments from this fund could be used to continue funding the State into the future, even when the oil runs out. As the fund grows, so would the dividends, and therefore the State's budget. However, it would also require some foresight by our legislators, and I do not see that happening. They are too focused on the "now" and how they can spend every last penny of revenue collected.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
There should be a rule/law regarding this. I know that when they look at financial stability of a Municipal Government (County/Borough or City) they look at the reserve find levels in comparison to the overall budget.

There is gnerally a balancd budget rule on the books (at least there is here) which means you can't budget more money than you have. Maybe it should be, you can't budget more than 95% of what you have. The 5% has to go into a reserve fund that requires special permission or circumstances to use. I know that in a natural disaster, typically FEMA steps in a reimburses the local entity -- but sometimes these fiscal, unexpected emergencies, are not reimbursed.
There is a law, at least at the State level. All 50 States have laws that prohibit enacting a budget that is not balanced. Alaska also has a budgetary reserve fund, but that seems to get tapped regularly for numerous reasons, not all of them emergencies.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:04 AM

Thanks Glitch. I wasn't sure whether the balanced budget law was in all 50 states. To be honest, I never really cared enough to research it thoroughly.

The PFD i'reserve' fund idea sounds like a great idea. AK currently has a unique situation, that as you pointed out, will not last forever. It is possible, however, to make the benefit of oil royalities last forever. Sorta like what one should setup with a 401K. You want to have an income, but never should touch the principle. The problem is that politicians do not get votes be saving money and not spending it on 'voters'. It will take a special politician to do that - or a lame duck one that cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska