Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,590,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
This one project will not destroy our way of life, thats true. But it's the beginning of a slippery slope. We're fine without it.
If there is no mine there will be people without jobs who would have had jobs with the mine. They're not fine without it, they'll be on welfare.

I understand your point, but we need to encourage a business friendly environment to have a good standard of living for the most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
This one project will not destroy our way of life, thats true. But it's the beginning of a slippery slope. We're fine without it.
Do you fish or live in Bristol Bay? I live at the northern end of it, but the mine isn't near the headwaters of the Kuskokwim. There isn't a lot of jobs out this way in the smaller villages. Not everyone who lives on Bristol Bay has a permit, most of them are from Washington State. Sure, there are some from the area that fish there, but with all the high prices of fuel and low prices of fish there isn't much money being made. Most of the money goes outside Alaska, even the fish. Most of the stores in Bethel carry Copper River Red Salmon, no kings from anywhere on the AYK(Arctic Yukon Kuskokwim) River system.

Can you explain what part of this mine will destroy your way of life? If it ever comes to pass, hell, I might apply for a job there. I do have a good paying job here in Bethel as it is. It won't bother me any if it gets open.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,770 times
Default Dillingham

Can anyone provide me with some information about Dillingham? I am thinking about taking a job there and just wanted to know how outsiders are received? Is the housing very expensive and does anyone know of any houses for rent? What is the main source of heat oil or wood? How are the schools there I have two school age children. I know fishing is good there how about hunting? How is the winter weather there? Do they get a lot of snow or is it mostly wind? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
Does anyone know how much security jobs at the mine will pay?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,572,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Does anyone know how much security jobs at the mine will pay?
The days of job security are over. And where in world did you get the notion you'd get paid for that?

Old 06-17-2013, 05:37 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,990,128 times
Most of the villages are withering away because there are few jobs for them in the area. They have to move to Anchorage etc to be able to support their families. They would prefer to stay in their hometown if they could earn a living. Mines like this one and Donlin Creek receive a lot of support from the locals for that reason.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:37 AM

3,124 posts, read 3,823,279 times
Just because something pays money, doesn't mean it's good for the environment.

Sometime we have to look past the paycheck.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:47 AM

2,668 posts, read 2,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post

The minerals will be mined somewhere, if not Pebble Mine it will be somewhere else. The environment everywhere is important. Preventing Pebble Mine won't stop environmental damage, it will just move it. Most likely to another country with fewer regulations, where more damage will be done.

The people who don't get a job and end up on welfare if Pebble Mine is prevented might not agree mining somewhere else was a great option. Not being able to get a job when needed provides great clarity.

Rather than trying to prevent a specific mining project, the focus should be on making sure best practices are used and improved to minimize environmental impact, while still allowing the project to be economically viable.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post

Strange how it is that people with a paycheck are always giving that advice out.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 PM

3,124 posts, read 3,823,279 times
Hey, you guys are right, cooking meth pays real well. You should give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska