Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:51 AM

18 posts, read 67,336 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone here have any experience in moving guns (rifles and handguns) from Canada to Alaska? We are Canadians and we will be moving to Anchorage sometime later this fall. I don't believe that any moving company will touch my guns and I am having trouble finding a courier company that will take them as well. Based on my research, moving guns within the USA ia fairly easy, but from Canada to the USA seems much more difficult. I am hoping that there may be some Canadians here that may have some advice to offer. We are already working on getting the Form 6 approved by the BATF.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,808,504 times
Hey there, in response, I will assume that you are also taking at least one vehicle with you when you move, if so, put the firearms in the trunk, and, when asked, tell the asking officer where they are and that you are taking them with you. I flew from Greensboro to Ak, and brought my rifle and handgun with me on the plane. Yes this was after 911, I just told the people at the airline counter, as I checked them through to Anchorage, that they were there in locked carriers and there was no problem. Since Alaska does recieve a bit of hunting trade, they are probably used to people bringing their own firearms. Any problem may arise if you try to conceal the fact that you are carring firearms. In the US, there is generally no real problem, there is a problem however, bringing handguns through Canada, mucho paperwork.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 10-02-2007 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 10-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Hey Dusty,

Thanks for your reply. I had previously thought of shipping the car and flying there but on reflection, I don't think it would be good for my dog if we were to fly her up there, poor thing! If we drive, then yes, we would take the guns with us and that would probably be the path of least hassle!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,360,697 times
I moved my firearms up from the lower-48 in 1991, before Canadistan imposed their ban on firearms. My advice is to avoid the hassle and ship them up via air-cargo from one FFL holder in your area to another FFL holder in Alaska. There are gun dealers who provide such a service, for a fee.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:01 PM

639 posts, read 1,907,940 times
I am just starting work on this as well. We are moving from SC to AK in April. The paper work isn't to bad I don't think but they did say expect at least 1hr delay at customs. The cost for shipping guns is mucho $$$ the only place we could find here charged $45 per gun + shipping via UPS to a Federal Firearms place in Fairbanks that was going to charge us $75 per gun for their service of receiving said guns. We were shipping 5 guns so that was going to be alot.
So we are doing the paperwork which isn't bad,taking them to a local port office and doing the registration there and will have the paperwork filled out when we get ready to enter Canada.

*** Edit to add we are only taking long guns,hand guns I hear are a ROYAL pain in the *** and you are better off to ship them.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:17 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,423,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercovermom View Post
Hi,

Does anyone here have any experience in moving guns (rifles and handguns) from Canada to Alaska? We are Canadians and we will be moving to Anchorage sometime later this fall. I don't believe that any moving company will touch my guns and I am having trouble finding a courier company that will take them as well. Based on my research, moving guns within the USA ia fairly easy, but from Canada to the USA seems much more difficult. I am hoping that there may be some Canadians here that may have some advice to offer. We are already working on getting the Form 6 approved by the BATF.

TIA!
Please claify that your comming from Canada, or are you comming from the US and just traveling through Canada.

There is probably two sets of rules depending which situation your in.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,179,021 times
I'm having a friend ship mine up to me. Seems like the easiest way.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,423,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I'm having a friend ship mine up to me. Seems like the easiest way.
I met a guy a while back that filled his gun safe with other stuff including his guns, had it crated and had the crate shipped from the US to here. Contents household goods. Don't know the legality of it but definetly a way to accomplish the task.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 PM

639 posts, read 1,907,940 times
When you say have a friend ship them,what do you mean? Are you breaking the guns down and mailing parts or are you sending them some other method. My mother in law is a Post Master and if your sending them via USPS and they are in one piece you and your friend could be in for a rude awakening when the guns don't show up but the feds do.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Please claify that your comming from Canada, or are you comming from the US and just traveling through Canada.

There is probably two sets of rules depending which situation your in.
Hi there, we are Canadians living in Canada. Since my initial posting, I have learned that both UPS and Fedex (here in Canada) won't touch our guns and it looks like I'll have no choice but to drive up there with them. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: