Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 AM

110 posts, read 438,668 times

Advertisements

about overgrowth of their city/town?

I live in what's considered a semi-rural area and worry about it all the time. I know that some growth is necessary and good but when is enough, enough? I don't mind driving 20 miles to the nearest shopping mall or 12 miles to Wal-mart even the 8 1/2 miles to the grocery store.( that's why we chose to move here) I like seeing farms and trees and open space while I'm doing that driving. They have just approved a Wal-mart in "town" and I'm not real happy about it.
I grew up in So. Fla where there is very little open space left except the Everglades and that's only because it's protected land. I got tired of looking at strip malls and box stores every where (and let's not mention the traffic) which is why we moved. I just want to keep my little town just that a little town. I know it's unreasonable and probably a little selfish but heck-I don't care!!

Okay I'm done venting and climbing off my soapbox now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
I gotta fly about 30 air miles to the nearest grocery store.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I have what I call my sanctuary. It's an island in the middle of a large lake that is protected as a federal wildlife refuge. So even if my quaint little community becomes the next Wasilla/Palmer type setting...I will always have a place to escape to.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I gotta fly about 30 air miles to the nearest grocery store.
wow but you like it that way right?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I have what I call my sanctuary. It's an island in the middle of a large lake that is protected as a federal wildlife refuge. So even if my quaint little community becomes the next Wasilla/Palmer type setting...I will always have a place to escape to.
lucky duck!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:30 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,347 times
Take a good look at the map of Alaska on google earth.

Anchorage and Palmer/Wasilla are really the only areas that I would call a little overcrowded. But that's only from our point of view. When I visit the lower 48 we feel positively remote when we come back here.

So although I don't like the extra traffic, iand I live smack dab between Wasilla and Palmer, t's only a 10 minute drive to my closest moose hunting spot, and 20 minutes from here I can hunt brown and black bear.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:28 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Yes, I worry sometimes that Juneau will be "discovered"... It's already pretty big but the amount of usable land is limited. I don't think that will be a problem for a while, though...

Old 10-07-2007, 01:32 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Take a good look at the map of Alaska on google earth.

Anchorage and Palmer/Wasilla are really the only areas that I would call a little overcrowded. But that's only from our point of view. When I visit the lower 48 we feel positively remote when we come back here.

So although I don't like the extra traffic, iand I live smack dab between Wasilla and Palmer, t's only a 10 minute drive to my closest moose hunting spot, and 20 minutes from here I can hunt brown and black bear.
I agree, particularly if you have lived in the valley for more than a few years, it does feel overcrowded. When I built my home in 2003 near Settler's Bay there were only two other homes in my sub-division. Now, every lot in my sub-division has a new home. The good news is that none of the lots are smaller than an acre, which is an improvement over Anchorage.

Whenever I get frustrated and think the traffic is becoming intolerable, I just remember what it was like to drive from Reseda, California, to Long Beach and back on the daily basis. Then the traffic in Alaska doesn't seem so bad.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 PM

201 posts, read 822,866 times
Not me, I live in a town with negative population growth... lol and no driving to a Walmart here, ever.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:31 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Yes, I worry sometimes that Juneau will be "discovered"... It's already pretty big but the amount of usable land is limited. I don't think that will be a problem for a while, though...
Two things will save Juneau,

Rain
if they ever succeed moving the capital!

You have a 50 50 chance it seems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska