Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 03:21 PM

4 posts, read 12,107 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear all the great things about living in Nome Alaska. I will have a reality check later But, right now I just want to hear all good things. We might be moving there and frankly the idea scares me to death! I will have a lot of questions later about schools and logistics but I'm going to wait until I know for sure we are moving there. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,699,635 times
The Board of Trade Saloon in Nome is one of the oldest in Alaska.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:52 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,525,838 times
(Sarcasm: On)

You get to pan gold and loose all your money or life doing it... You can get stabbed in a bar fight... You can't drive out.

Oh wait... You said positive things.

--

Ok - so panning gold and not being able to drive out *could* be positives. You won't be tempted to buy things at big box stores, because there aren't any (that I know of).

Never been, so no first hand experience... I just couldn't resist responding though.

I noticed the good stiffnecked couldn't think of too many things either - and that quite frankly worries me.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 PM

The only negative to living in Nome is the price of a gallon of gas. Don't be dismissive about gold panning on the beach. The last year I mined the beach, 1988, I took out 22 ounces. That was just running a highbanker no dredging. Back then only a couple of people were dredging. There is gold in those beach sands but it takes a lot of patience and some long hours on the end of a shovel.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 PM

222 posts, read 389,904 times
There are 3 good roads to drive and explore the area, about 80 miles long each. There are Musk Ox in town. There are many different types of birds that migrate through the area that you can't see anywhere else in the US, bringing in a lot of bird watchers every spring. It's where the Iditarod race ends. And there is a Safeway grocery store.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,461,543 times
I had been to Nome several years ago. I liked this cosy little town and its people.

Last edited by Лютый; 09-12-2012 at 12:36 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 AM

339 posts, read 588,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
The only negative to living in Nome is the price of a gallon of gas. Don't be dismissive about gold panning on the beach. The last year I mined the beach, 1988, I took out 22 ounces. That was just running a highbanker no dredging. Back then only a couple of people were dredging. There is gold in those beach sands but it takes a lot of patience and some long hours on the end of a shovel.
But you only need a gallon or two a week, maybe longer, since there's not that many miles of "road". So that gas, or lack of need for, could be a non-negative. Well unless you count the gas for the snowmachine. Ah heck, there goes the "price of a gallon of gas" negativety again. Oh well, I did try.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 AM

287 posts, read 599,241 times
Not being able drive out also means you can't drive in... It may or may not be a benefit, depends on how you are trying to get away from it all...

It also means food will be pricey...

Oh wait, positives... I failed

Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
But you only need a gallon or two a week, maybe longer, since there's not that many miles of "road". So that gas, or lack of need for, could be a non-negative. Well unless you count the gas for the snowmachine. Ah heck, there goes the "price of a gallon of gas" negativety again. Oh well, I did try.
Remember there are 3 roads that go out of Nome. I remember riding my Honda Big Red 3 wheeler out to Council so I could see the "trees". Nice ride, but the trees left me underwhelmed. Maybe they've grown since then?

Old 09-15-2012, 12:42 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,461,543 times
Who knows, does anybody of Russians live in Nome?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska