Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times

Advertisements

GreatLander
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 06:26 AM

460 posts, read 609,093 times
If you are familiar with the Mat-su area, there is a store called 3 bears that will ship items to the bush and only charge for the shipping, and will do parcel post. You need to have a credit card and they do not carry a lot, but many people here like it. They do not charge a 10% fee for the shipping like Wal-mart does. I have talked to people here and they have also ordered from Wal-mart on line and have gotten free shipping, but that may not last. The flat rate boxes are fine but small, and you can't put a lot in them, but with parcel post, you can get up to 70 lbs for about 25.00 or less. Don't know how long this will last with the post office having problems, but it is great now.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
8 8 8 $8 foot longs! Subway, eat almost fresh here.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,565,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Good post Warp!

Old 12-24-2012, 05:24 AM

5 posts, read 18,698 times
I live in Nome and I use Amazon.com, Drugstore.com, Petco.com, and Kohls.com all the time.

Amazon and Drugstore honor their free shipping here most of the time, for Amazon you have to make sure it's them and not a third-party seller. If I can't get an item at one place, I go to the other. I get 90% of my household stuff from Amazon. I also don't drink regular milk (not only because of the price but other personal reasons), so I order almond milk via Amazon. Again, free shipping.

I get my dog food through Petco. They use FedEx and since we don't have an agent here they (FedEx) just deliver it to the post office and it gets mailed here parcel post. It takes a while, but if you plan ahead it works out great. You also have to "trick" their system by putting your address in (we only have PO Boxes) and NOT checking their box that says that you're using a PO Box.

I like Kohls since they have great prices and most of their stuff ships here no problem. Once in a while there will be things that won't ship for whatever reason, and you have to call customer service to find out which items aren't allowing the order to go through. One time it wouldn't let me buy cutting boards but another time I ordered a whole set of pots and pans and got my free shipping.

Oh, and before I forget....I get most of my fruit and veggies via Full Circle Farms. It's organic, and cheaper than buying the same things locally (if you could even get those same items).

Ultimately, you just have to be smart about it, stock up when you can, and plan way ahead so you don't run out of things you need (like dog food).

As for the question about $33k a year....If you can find a place and share it with roommates you could probably do it. You CAN get around without a vehicle here, and if you are careful with your money and share the costs with another person or two you'd come out ahead. Plus, if you wanted a second job you could find on easily enough. The real problem would be actually finding housing. We bought a house that the garage was converted to an efficiency apartment which rents for $1200 a month.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:52 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,131 times
I think the problem with shipping some items is the risk of freezing and subsequent bursting, but I don't have personal experience with that.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:33 AM

5 posts, read 18,698 times
Like what kind of items are you talking about? I've never had that happen for anything I've ordered online or brought back with me from Anchorage in my luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I think the problem with shipping some items is the risk of freezing and subsequent bursting, but I don't have personal experience with that.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belowzeroinak View Post
Like what kind of items are you talking about? I've never had that happen for anything I've ordered online or brought back with me from Anchorage in my luggage.
That's just what some online retailers said when asked why they don't ship using USPS but I don't know if it's true, it could just be their excuse for using higher priced shipping methods.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
It's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska