Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 AM

236 posts, read 427,502 times

Advertisements

I recently sent an email to a company in juneau with my resume. The owner asked me to call him an basically was told if I came up there I could expect to make 1500-1800 a week after taxes in a commission
plumbing shop. working commission doesn't both me as that is what I prefer. but to any who live in the juneau area is that a good wage for that market? we are a family of three. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
That is minimum wage there.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
It's hardly minimum wage, but you may not be able to make that all year. Construction does slow down over the winter so you could be making next to nothing from November through March. So that $1,500 could turn into $42,000 per year, which would be difficult to live on. Rent will run you anywhere from $1,000-2,000 and that plus utilities can eat half that income. If you have pets, you'll eliminate 75% of the limited rental market. Travel in and out of Juneau is either by ferry or plane and both are expensive. I'd ask the owner a few more questions before making a decision.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
Before I would commit to moving to Juneau, I think a trip up to get a look at things would be important. A $1,000 in plane tickets might save you much more later...

Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
If it's a plumbing and heating shop, they may do pretty well in the winter, but definitely ask more questions about the shop and the position.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:42 AM

a trip up before I would consider moving is a must.The owner wants me to come up and work a week so he can get a look at my skills which I completely understand also gives me a chance to see how the company works.I've owned my own shop for 10 yrs working for some one else will be shock to the system.not quite sure I can go from boss to employee again.it is a plumbing and heating shop service only so should stay busy in the winter, there will be a learning curve for me a lot of boilers in use up there or fuel oil heaters that I'm not familiar with all heating here is forced air.I have a lot to consider before I move my family up there.I know there are some things I'm willing to trade to be able to live there.the wages are actually less than I make here but I think 80k is doable for a family of three. my wife would be able to work also she is dental asst. and there wages looked pretty good in the area.

Thanks for the response's any other info or advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian Inserection View Post
house hold median income in juneau is about 145k a year dont expect to live the life you have been in Oklahoma.
where did you get that info? what I found said 79k was median household info for 09 has it changed that much in few years?

Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 AM

102 posts, read 96,529 times
Yeah your right, I was just spouting off what other people had said to me without looking it up. foot in mouth

Old 09-23-2012, 11:57 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
I loved Juneau (1979-1985) but there are some things to consider: The housing situation may have eased up a bit but even through the early 2000's people I knew were still living in sailboats, RVs, old house trailers, converted school busses and the like. Especially during legislative session housing is super tight in Juneau. There is more shopping there than when I lived in Juneau but it's still more expensive to buy goods and live than Anchorage or Fairbanks. If you are the sole support for your family, even for a short time, I'd say the wage is marginal and because it's commission based, it will be unreliable from week to week. You do not want to be starving in Juneau. Been there.

Though recreation is pretty much outside your door in Juneau, it is wet much of the year. Coming as I did from Kansas I had a hard time the first year with the claustrophobic feel of being surrounded by close mountains and shut in by clouds. My prairie mode was keeping an eye on the sky for bad weather. Once I realized that there really was no "weather" but the rain, drizzle, more rain and the few sunny days and some snow in the winter, I lost the need to scan, at least in the way that I had been used to doing. Some people really do not adjust to or function well in the coastal temperate rainforest environment. I knew many people that stayed in Juneau only a short time and moved on either because the weather got to them or they were living on the edge or both. If you or any of your family members object to getting wet when you go outdoors then I'd strongly reconsider. If you go fishing, hiking, sailing, biking you'll likely get rained on. It's a fact of life. Some people have a hard time with being off of the road system. Though there is connection via the ferry or airlines, "island fever" can set in. If you like your impromptu road trips then Juneau might not be for you.

That said, I really liked Juneau, had some great experiences, it is one of the most beautiful places on earth and I made life long friends there. If you don't mind wet cool weather, if you can find a decent housing that won't eat almost every dime you make, if you aren't an avid consumer, if you are self entertaining and don't mind living in rain boots, crocs and Helly Hansen (rain gear) then you might find that you will do well in Juneau.

By all means I echo the sentiment that you and your wife need to visit Juneau to see if it's for both of you before committing to anything. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:31 PM

we have vacationed in AK a few times in last few years although not in juneau we have been to seward and valdez I think the juneau climate would be close to that with more rain fall,hadn't really considered island fever. I am planning on making a trip up in november just curious how many sunny days a year do you get up there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska