Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I don't know ANYONE that lives here due to the PFD.
Anyone who moves to AK because of the PFD is a fool. First they need to be there for 2 years to get it and then most idiot who moves up for the PFD likely has many agencies that would love to garnish it... and do. So then they end up with nothing in the end to begin with.

When we lived in AK we enjoyed the PFD (we were there when Palin threw extra money into the checks). But when we decided to leave, the PFD didn't influence our decision on leaving nor should it influence folk's decision to move up.

I honestly believe the PFD has another 10 years or so until a vote to let politicians touch the fund finally passes (due to transients moving in and not having Alaskan values).

Anyhow, enjoy your PFD guys! Its nice being able to throw it into an investment, spend it frivolously or finally get that thing fixed that's been needing fixing.

Those who collect PFD's illegally should be hung from their balls and have their future income garnished to repay the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I was wondering if the PFD actually kept people in AK or not. I really didn't think it did.

It would be nice to be able to 'bank' your kids PFD and give them a little nice going away to College bank account.
Some do start a college fund for their kids, that aren't buying big screen tv's...lol.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:39 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Some do start a college fund for their kids, that aren't buying big screen tv's...lol.
We put the money in a college fund for the kids...The university system actually has a plan for that.

My brother who homeschools puts the money in an account for his kids. They have already purchased land and they are building cabins on the land to sell. These kids are 11 and 14. They are learning construction and business at the same time.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
We put the money in a college fund for the kids...The university system actually has a plan for that.

My brother who homeschools puts the money in an account for his kids. They have already purchased land and they are building cabins on the land to sell. These kids are 11 and 14. They are learning construction and business at the same time.
That's a wonderful plan.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:23 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
That sounds like a really neat idea Marty!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 PM

339 posts, read 588,275 times
I think its nice for the "extras". One year a friend in Big Lake used his to get a hot tub. My kids are all grown with families of their own so I vote for extras. Of course there's always the inevitable repairs that extra money is good for. I don't beleive in relying on a Pfd for the essentials. What happens if and when there is no Pfd? Have to be able to get by without it to be able to make it in Alaska. Just my opinion

Old 09-21-2012, 07:53 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post

It's great to hear about these kids learning about construction and business. Some kids, even college students, don't want anything to do with hard work these days.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:56 AM

102 posts, read 96,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It's great to hear about these kids learning about construction and business. Some kids, even college students, don't want anything to do with hard work these days.
Why...why is it that the youth always gets scape goated by our elders? Why can't you for once take responsibility for your actions.

Us young people share this planet too we have just as much if not more invested in its success as you do. Please quit lumping us together as lazy and not interested in hard work.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian Inserection View Post
Why...why is it that the youth always gets scape goated by our elders? Why can't you for once take responsibility for your actions.

Us young people share this planet too we have just as much if not more invested in its success as you do. Please quit lumping us together as lazy and not interested in hard work.
Here is my thought on it. First, it is a generalization, not an absolute. I know some really hard working teenagers, as well as, some really lazy ones.

This apply's to the US/Canada and is my humble opinion. The youngest generation ALWAYS has it easier then the one before it. Why? Because we have invented things to make our lives easier. Electricity, refrigeration, indoor plumbing, power tools, cars/trucks, heavy equipment that means you do not have to drive a mule thru the fields to plow and hand pick most crops. Now lets add entertainment, first TV we had was a 13" b&W with 4 stations - no VCR, Cable/Satellite, Xbox, PS3, etc... No internet, cell phones, etc... I don't bemoan you for it, I was the youngest generation once and got the same flack you do. It is called part of growing up. We apparently turned out OK and I know that you will too. I am counting on it as we need your generation to take care of us when we can no longer take care of ourselves.

Let's face it, I am not worried about eating tonight/tomorrow or the next day. Are you? Previous generations were, their was a fight for basic survival that goes way beyond any video game.

And yes, in a way I am jealous of my young kids. I didn't have an iPad and/or laptop computer that I took to school or on vacations. I couldn't 'surf the 'net' in a car. I didn't have dial-up until I was a teenager myself and that was lackluster at best.

And yes, I am aware that Alaska still has a lot of 'wild' left in it, where electricity and indoor plumbing are not around -- but a lot of people live that way by CHOICE. Personally, I do not think there is anything wrong with it as one day I may choose to live that way as well. One of the things that attracts me to this forum is learning about that lifestyle. And even then, I see people taking advantage of 'technology', which there is nothing wrong with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska