Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 04:31 PM

20 posts, read 45,337 times

Advertisements

Hey Hogfamily that whole posting of Strangers was such a good read and led me to finding out about "Life Below Zero". Can't wait and I so hope they just show the lifes they live and keep the dramatic crap out.
As much as I enjoy "Yukon Men" i'm really annoyed with the over-acting of the Narrator and the shaky camera or dropped camera anytime something dangerous supposedly happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,981 times
Heh, I was in a filming for Life Below Zero last weekend.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Heh, I was in a filming for Life Below Zero last weekend.
Sweet! Looking forward to that show.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Awesome 1stimestar!!!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Off topic I know, hopefully not offensive, but has anyone heard from Duane or Rena? Did they return to Ose Mountain? I haven't heard anything since the heart attack (?).

Old 05-14-2013, 12:01 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Don't know, but if he took her back out there in her bad health -- and it seemed like he wanted to -- he's even more of a selfish blowhard than he seems, although that would be hard to top. The last I saw, he was bawling a river about having to stay in town because of her health, and trying to talk her into going back out even though she was frightened of doing so. Mod Cut

Last edited by Rance; 05-14-2013 at 10:02 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 02:15 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Off topic I know, hopefully not offensive, but has anyone heard from Duane or Rena? Did they return to Ose Mountain? I haven't heard anything since the heart attack (?).
Yep, Rena just needed a medication adjustment which caused her to have a dizzy spell which caused her to get a pulled muscle in her back. She's all better now and they went back home in January.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:38 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
It was all over the Internet for weeks that she'd had a heart attack; it sure took them a long time to figure out that it was only a pulled muscle. Was that all just a ruse? I seem to recall him carrying on quite a bit over her condition for weeks, even sharing information that the doctors had supposedly given him (nothing about a pulled muscle) and whining endlessly about how hard it was going to be for him to live away from the "beautiful paradise" that he'd created at "Ose Mountain." Mod Cut

Last edited by Rance; 05-14-2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,576 times
Wow, how'd I miss this post?

Thanx, Hog, for the 'Thumbs up" and a link to better understanding of what subsistence IS in 2013.....many think its "primitive living" , but its not, nor ever was, its just useing the animals, plants and materials around us to make that living. $$ has replaced Beads as currency , and subsuistence living as it really is.

Hope ya'll like the show!

Chip

Old 01-06-2015, 02:18 AM

77 posts, read 104,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDon View Post
This show, like a lot of other "reality" shows about Alaska, is mostly scripted and over dramatized. Every week there are loads of drama scripted into the show. If there wasn't, few people would watch it.

For example, in the last episode we learn that a renegade black bear is terrorizing the community of Tanana. By watching this show, you'd think residents were barricaded inside their homes trembling in fear. The narrator even says that these bears can be "ten times the size of a wolf". Really? So if an average Alaskan wolf is in the 90 to 100 pound range, that means that the average Interior Alaskan Black Bear is in the 900 to 1000 lb range? Oh wow, that's larger than an Interior Grizzly!

But if you new the average Interior black bear is only about 2-300 pounds with a few going much larger, well, that doesn't make for good TV now does it?

That's just one in a long line of "over dramatized and scripted" examples from this show. Did you like how everyone was running around in a panic and hollering when the Tanana River "suddenly" broke up? Dang, they nearly didn't make it out alive! (okay, George didn't, but it wasn't because the Tanana or Yukon "suddently" broke up)

And the trapping episodes were just pure rubbish! No one shoots at an Otter with a high powered rifle! The pelt would be ruined and worthless. And how about those $100 beaver pelts? Not happening either. A top grade beaver pelt may fetch around $30 or so if it's prime and if it's put up properly (which isn't the way it was shown on the show!)

If you watch this show and really believe that this is how day-to-day life is, then I feel sorry for you. Because it isn't. It's no secret that producers piece together clips to make a show. Just look at how many times you'll see different clothes, scenery, rifles, etc are used in a segment! If you ever talk to anyone who is involved in these shows, most will tell you that their comments or actual situations were changed or taken out of context. On the show "Swamp People", the characters have been instructed to try and wear the same style clothes when shooting footage. This is why you'll nearly always see Troy in those blue polo shirts with stripes. In that show, they should have also told them to use the same type of rifles so you wouldn't appear that they use several different models of rifles to shoot a gator!

The show "Alaska - The Last Frontier" was a pretty decent show and one I did enjoy even though it had just a tad bit of drama in it as well. However, since every moment wasn't a "life and death" moment and the producers didn't have enough footage to piece together an hour long drama event, the show only lasted a few episodes.

In a nutshell, these so called "reality" shows are nothing more than fictional stories TV Producers create by using bits and pieces of real life. Their goal is not intended to give you the real story of life in Alaska, Louisiana or any other place. It's solely designed to make you think what you see is real to increase viewership and bring in advertisers.

Sorry to pop your bubble, but that's the way it is.

I do not live there nor have I been to alaska. But I have communicated to someone who has lived there for years. According to her, the show is pretty much as is just with a little of what you call over dramatizing. What we call television. But for the most part, she said Joey and his father are pretty similar to what they portray, just nothing is a deadly as they make it seem, but it can be if you don't know what you're doing. They, however know what they are doing so they perform like they kmoe, but describe the worst case scenario if they didn't know what to do.

I have read on other threads that this is the most accurate show of alaska just with everyone blowing a few things out of proportions for ratings. So I am going to believe about half of what both of you say and the crazy things that happen every episode are probably only crazy a couple times a year. Not every week. Just like any other life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska