Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 AM

48 posts, read 81,680 times

Advertisements

[quote=starlite9;26419412]Depending on what leg of the ferry you're on, you may get to see the only one colony of Pink Famingos this far north. The nest on only one island in Southeast and they normally announce it on the ship's intercom to everyone so they can get pictures.
quote]

I had NO idea there was a flamingo colony up there - that is amazing. My husband and I are huge fans of the Flamingo - they were even the theme at our wedding. I will be doing a bit of research.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the advice. Can't wait to get back up there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
[quote=sassymama66;26452508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Depending on what leg of the ferry you're on, you may get to see the only one colony of Pink Flamingos this far north. The nest on only one island in Southeast and they normally announce it on the ship's intercom to everyone so they can get pictures.
quote]

I had NO idea there was a flamingo colony up there - that is amazing. My husband and I are huge fans of the Flamingo - they were even the theme at our wedding. I will be doing a bit of research.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the advice. Can't wait to get back up there!

The State of Alaska has some dumb laws, but the Flamingo one in Juneau takes the cake for dumb laws, here is he excerpt from the Statute....

More About This Law

Law Summary

Owners of flamingos may not let their pet into barber shops.

« Back to the Laws
Full text of the Law

36.25.010 Prohibited; responsibility of animal owner.
No owner of any animal or person having control of any animal shall allow such animal to enter upon any public premises where food for human consumption is sold, processed stored or consumed or to enter into any barber shops or establishments for the practice of hairdressing or beauty culture.
(GJB � 20.10.010)

But there has been lot of people that really admire the Flamingos here in Alaska, but they are very rare and most have never seen one in the State, kinda like the blue Glacier Bear, which are a light blue and live by glaciers.

When you are leaving North out of Sitka on the Ferry, the island on the middle of the channel is where the Flamingo's habituate, as the Ferry goes to the left of the island, the Captain will come on the ship's intercom and announce that they are passing the island and tells about the birds and all about that they live there year round. Made the trip a few dozen times and they are always there. I would assume because of the bears and such, they prefer the solitude of the islands. I never knew they could live in trees, but they are birds so I guess they can go where ever they want to.
\

While on the Iditarod sled dog race that goes from Anchorage to Nome each winter, the mushers run into the interior Flamingos on occasion by the trail, pretty neat for a change of pace instead of seeing wolves, bears, moose and other bland critters. They are very rare as well and when are seen makes the State news broadcasts, since they are endangered here, it has been stopping a lot of the mining and drilling by the Flamingo lobby.

This photo has nothing to do with Flamingos, but I like the truck, very useful in Alaska!

Anyway, you are in for a treat when you get here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska